S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Future owner. S2ks hard to work on?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Future owner. S2ks hard to work on?

Hey everyone, first post here. I'm planning on picking up an S2000 by the end of the year. I'm pretty competent when it comes to cars, I do all my own maintenance (fluid changes, brakes, etc). My question is, how difficult are these cars to work on if I ever have to fix/replace something that isn't routine maintenance?

A little background: I'm coming from an RSX Type-S. Had this car for about 7 years now and know it pretty well aside from pulling the motor and working on it. Outside of routine stuff, on this RSX, I've replaced/worked on: power steering pump, serpentine belt, radiator, starter, axle, O2 sensors, intake manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, and the biggest job was taking apart the transmission to replace the final drive gear. That's all from what I can remember over the years.

One of my biggest complaints about the RSX is that the engine bay is super cramped with barely any room to work on anything in there without having to take something else apart, ghetto rigging a tool, or have very small hands.

To those here that have worked on both an RSX and S2000, would you say that the S is easier, harder, or about the same? It seems to me like the engine bay in the S is a bit more forgiving and has more space, but experience is better than assuming, right?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!
Old 09-11-2015, 02:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

S2000 is harder. I've also had an rsx-s and it was fun but the S2000 is really fun. Only complaint I have is the transmission and the heat shield bolt in the back. Otherwise, the S shouldn't be too hard to work on.

As far as basic maintenance, S is easy but I never had a problem on the rsx either. The starter is kind of a bitch on the S but alt/battery/belt/pulleys are straight forward.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:28 PM

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

I find the s2000 very easy to work on. I think its much easier than a rsx.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

I don't have an RSX but I find the S is dead nuts easy to work on.
The hood can be opened up to very near vertical. The only issue is getting a floor jack under the front lift point. All in all, its not really difficult from an access point.

darcy
Old 09-11-2015, 07:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The S2K is the best car I've worked on.

Some things like the starter or transmission will be hard...but very infrequent, too.

Other things, like oil changes, valve adjustments, transmission fluid, diff fluid, brakes, or basically anything routine aside from a clutch/starter replacement is really easy.

I have almost 100K on mine and have not had to do any of the hard things.
Old 09-11-2015, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's easy peasy as long you don't have to change your clutch/take out the trans.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see, looking forward to getting my hands on it then. It's not that I'm worried about having to work on it, just wanna know what I"m getting myself into (not like it would sway me away to be honest, my mind is set on an S lol)

Thanks for the inputs!
Old 09-14-2015, 06:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Echoing others here... I feel it's super easy to work on this car
Old 09-14-2015, 06:13 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I find my S to be easier to work on than my TSX, which is cramped and has bleeder valves in weird places.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love working on the s.... Most things are extremely well laid out. Fluid changes are simple. The only thing I recommend is to have extra (new) parts on hand when you go through an extensive procedure like When you do a valve adjustment, have new valve cover bolts because they're usually a one time go. And if you do a clutch job.... Do all your fluids while the car is on the lift, replace the starter if yours starts to get "sticky" have new driveshaft bolts on hand, etc.

Quick Reply: Future owner. S2ks hard to work on?