S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Gear Issue

Old 02-12-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Issue

Hi all,

I am a new comer, and this is my first time to own a manual car. May I know how many rpm will you change your gear (for normal driving)?

Gear 1:
Gear 2:
Gear 3:
Gear 4:
Gear 5:
Gear 6:

And:

1/ When stopping in front of traffic night; I do the followings:

a/ step on the break.

b/ step on the clunch (fully).

c/ step on the break again, until the car totally stop.

d/ change the gear to "N".

e/ pull the hand break.

when ready to go, I do:

a/ release the hand break.

b/ step on the clunch.

c/ change the gear from "N" to "1".

d/ step on the gas.

e/ then .. go go go.

However, may be I do such things too slow; always get someone horn me behind me.

Is my procedure list above correct? Any short cut? Or I just need to get pratice doing it more quickly.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 02-12-2006, 07:29 AM

allow me to first say welcome... I'm going with the belief that this is a serious post - I have some doubt - and will proceed...

in my opinion this - the S2000 - just isn't the right car to learn how to drive a shift/manual on...some may have done this but I think the S should not be your first manual trans vehicle...but I guess we all have to learn somewhere...

1) I don't shift looking at rpm but once you get used to the sound of the vehicle you shift at the sound/feel of the engine ...driving time will get you there...

2 plus) ... I don't use the hand brake to hold the car at a light - apply the brakes using the center pedal...

your routine and ritual will become smoother with practice..

this part is joke - and not to be taken as a serious recommendation of what to do.....

good luck & if some one is impatient behind you and hits their horn - I suggest re applying the brakes ... turning the car off completely ( thus blocking their path ) ... getting out of your car and offering a kind introduction to them ... to determine what it is they wanted to get your attention for in the first place...

Old 02-12-2006, 08:15 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Is this for real.???
Old 02-12-2006, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Nate03,Feb 12 2006, 11:29 AM
good luck & if some one is impatient behind you and hits their horn - I suggest re applying the brakes ... turing the car off completely ( thus blocking their path ) ... getting out of your car and offering a kind introduction to them ... to determine what it is they wanted to get your attention for in the first place...
whoa - how many times have you done this??????
I think that's just asking for trouble.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:47 AM

wow..only time i apply the hand break is when i'm in SF to prevent me from rolling back.

Ever since i started driving a manual i've never down shift before..i mean i know the steps for it but never thought i needed to?
Old 02-12-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by DaveOnLI,Feb 12 2006, 12:27 PM
whoa - how many times have you done this??????
I think that's just asking for trouble.
joking Dave - I hop e that didn't come off as serious and was intended as an attempt at scarcasm...I guess it didn't come through that way digitally....

Old 02-12-2006, 09:27 AM

in this car, for normal driving i shift between 3k and 4k rpms. plus like nate03, i go by sound as well.

coming to a stop:
- clutch in
- neutral
- clutch out
- brakes (no handbrake)

ready to go:
- <brakes still on>
- clutch in
- shift to 1st
- go

i know you're not supposed to be out of gear while driving, but it's smoother for me that way. plus the brakes are cheaper to replace than a transmission (engine braking).
----
edit: just came back from a drive...cruise = 2.5 - 3k rpms, next gear = 3.5 - 4k rpms.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Shortiechick,Feb 12 2006, 09:47 AM
Ever since i started driving a manual i've never down shift before..i mean i know the steps for it but never thought i needed to?
By downshifting your brakes will last longer since your not having to slam on the brake pedal as your coming to a stop. The whole point of downshifting is to decelerate the vehicle, it's also more fun when driving the car.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Brakes are for decelarating the vehicule;downshifting,is to be in the appropriate gear,"After decelaration",to get going again;ie;exiting a curve,slowing down for traffic, etc....!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 01:25 PM

Esl please

Quick Reply: Gear Issue