S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Girlfriend want to learn to drive

Old 10-08-2001, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girlfriend want to learn to drive

My girlfriend has been buggin me to teach her how to drive my S2K since she has never driven stick before. I am very hesitant first of all because my car is only 3 months old. And she is not a very good driver to begin with even on an automatic.

But how much damage can she do by just going for a few spins around an empty parking lot??

What do you guys think? Have you gone through this with your women? Should I teach her or not?
Old 10-08-2001, 02:01 PM

Ohhhhh....ummm....your treading on dangerous water there...

On one hand if you let her drive she might kill it a whole bunch of times and possibly do some minor damage to your car...

On the other hand you could tell her she can't drive it and risk upsetting her...

Man what a decision...use your own judgement dude...if you think she can handle a few turns around a parking lot or a block than give her the benefit of the doubt...but if she can barely drive an automatic...then well...just use your own judgement bro!
Old 10-08-2001, 02:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't do it!!!

I rented an S2000 a month back for a girl's birthday present...and she rode the clutch the entire damn time. After an hour of going around and around in circles she finally gave up after blocking an inclined parking lot entrance in front of a police cruiser!!!! Luckily, they just laughed at us

I can't even begin to tell you how many times she stalled the poor thing!

Then, she'll want you to teach her over and over again, as she won't get it the first time.
Old 10-08-2001, 02:04 PM

you should probably let her drive. You can always fix the car. How much do you like your girlsfriend?
Old 10-08-2001, 02:10 PM

I've had a '92 Civic 5-speed for 4 years before I got my S. Before that there was a VW Fox, an Accord, and a Mazda clutch that I had driven. In addition, I was a valet for a while at a semi-ritzy country club. The point being, I had to learn how to drive stick again for the first few weeks on the S. I don't trust many of my friends to drive the S who've driven sticks for years, let alone a pure rookie.

If there's any way at all, teach her the clutch on another car first. She's gonna' have a b!tch of a time learning on that S.

- Honer
Old 10-08-2001, 02:11 PM

I love her...................but I love my car too! lol
Old 10-08-2001, 02:14 PM

If you really don't want her to drive the S, tell her that your insurance company doesn't allow others to drive (they won't pay for an accident). That is the excuse I use when someone wants to drive mine and I don't feel comfortable letting them. I don't even like my wife to drive mine unless I'm in the car with her. In fact, she has never driven it without me in the car with her!!!!
My pride and joy = my "S2000" and my wife knows it!!!!
Old 10-08-2001, 02:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was also in the same position, my girl would not stop asking me to teach her, hints here and there or just outright nagging!

I'd just have to say that I'm glad I didn't use my car. Also, if she did damage (minor or otherwise) to your "other love" would you be able to forgive her?
Old 10-08-2001, 02:22 PM
Former Moderator

I say teach her, BUT. be very clear that it doesn't mean she can drive it whenever she feels like it. Lying about why she can't drive it, will just catch up to you one day, when she see's one of your buddies driving it.
Not to mention, having a backup driver, when your so drunk, you think you own a Porsche is a good thing
Old 10-08-2001, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by jcasta02
But how much damage can she do by just going for a few spins around an empty parking lot?
Likely none. Lighten up about it. Maybe you'll introduce her to the joy you know and another car nut will be born!

Quick Reply: Girlfriend want to learn to drive