S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Goal Vol. First s2k

Old 09-24-2012, 04:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onu2002
There's no reason to build credit.
Subjective. Buying a house is a fairly common reason, for example.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by takeshi
Originally Posted by onu2002' timestamp='1348486499' post='22033560
There's no reason to build credit.
Subjective. Buying a house is a fairly common reason, for example.
A credit history is not needed to obtain a mortgage.

http://www.google.com/search?q=buyin...rchBox&ie=&oe=
Old 09-24-2012, 05:32 PM

If you get all of your financial advice from Google I am seriously concerned.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:54 AM

When you do a Google search, does any of the information come from Google? If I ask a librarian "why is the sky blue" and s/he points me to the science section, am I getting my information from the librarian? Do a search for "s2000 reverse clunk". Not only does none of the information come from Google, but the top 6 hits are from this site, which is filled with wonderfully knowledgeable people. Just because you've never thought it possible to buy a house without a credit history, doesn't mean you need to attack my intelligence.

Here's how it goes: I hear from some guy on the radio say that credit is not needed to get through life, that paying someone else to give you money, just to "build credit," is a bad idea. "What about mortgages," people ask. "Get a job, pay your bills, save 20% and you'll be fine," he replies. So I do an internet search to see what other information is out there. Huh, there are many resources - that aren't Google - that back up what Radio Guy said. So I contact some lenders and find one that will finance me. Bingo, I've obtained a mortgage without a credit history, and my journey even involved a Google search. How 'bout that?

The OP didn't really ask for advice, but people started giving it, so I gave my two cents. Like I stated before, this "no credit" lifestyle is certainly not how I've lived, but if I had to do over, I would certainly try. The OP is still in college, so now's the time to start thinking about these things. Some people advised, "pay the bank to give you money so you can build credit." I advised, "credit is overrated and unnecessary, even to buy a house." So now he can do his research and decide what to do.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A credit history is not needed to obtain a mortgage.
I didn't say it was necessary. I said the need for credit was a subjective matter (i.e. either approach isn't one-size-fits-all) and that purchasing a house was a common reason for building credit. It's up to each person to read and and pick whatever approach best suits that person.

I advised, "credit is overrated and unnecessary, even to buy a house."
...and overrated/underrated are subjective as well (on any topic).
Old 09-25-2012, 04:31 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

So yeah, this is not the place to have ye ole credit debate.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:32 AM

I was in no way trying to attack your intelligence, If I did I completely apologize. I personally like to know my source. I always want to know someone is reliable and knowledgeable before I take action on their advice. to each his own. I it works for you great, however I am not so ready to just jump right into such an important move.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:31 AM

satten, sorry to hijack your thread. Good luck with whatever you decide with the car. Good luck with college. Don't try to grow up too fast. Look both ways when you cross the street. Respect your elders.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:18 PM

UPDATE: i will be buying an s2k ap1 for about 9k. guy has to get rid of it asap so i'm getting a fair deal. taking it to a shop and getting it checked out, getting a loan also to pay it off.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM

thats good your paying it off cash
this is exactly what i did i was stuck on my feet for about 2 weeks until i found the right car for the right price, not caring where it was from and i ended up going all the way to san antonio to pick my NFR ap1, the guy had everything receipts, carfax, clean title, brand new mint top w/glass(its not just any ordinary top the fabric is the ones that vw and bmw come with) and it was adult owned(+65yr old man). i test drove it and everything was good, the only flaw it had was 2 minor scratches and bald tires but nothing severe, all the vin numbers matched across the car, so no body work either. i was very pleased with the buy and it was not sketchy at all.
when i use to talk to my local owners they thought i was banking it because i was modding my car pretty fast until they found out why... becase i had it paid off best feeling ever not having to pay a loan
the only thing i suggest you to not do, is jump on the first cheap s2000 usually if you find it and it has little details here and there then there should be a red flag, as to why they need it gone asap, etc... i almost jumped on some ugly yellow S until i talked myself out of it and thank god i did eve though im not a big fan of red cars but at least its running in tip top shape and everything is original.

Quick Reply: Goal Vol. First s2k