S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

This is gona make some of you VERY jealous!

Old 09-02-2002, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealership recommended not to take the tape off. He has an S2K as well and has heard about people removing the tape. As it isn't part of the delivery checklist he didn't think it was a good idea, particularly since it isn't alwyas finished underneath. Mine stays...
Old 09-02-2002, 12:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by 21wS2K
Who started this whole tape thing anyway... I forgot?

wasn't it airgate?
Actually it was Honda. The intent was to have the dealers pull the tape when you bought the hard top to better integrate the top. However they found that some cars hthe tape had "taken" and when removed peeled the paint off in spots. So the removal was never formally revealed to the dealers or public. If your car is new you shouldn't have a problem, if is more then a few months old you must excersise great restraint and take a good deal of time warming the glue.

Utah

P.S. It looks really good on Yellow and Red. Black cars do not have the tape.
Old 09-02-2002, 12:21 PM

If Honda put it there it must serve some purpose, right? Is there any purpose for it other than cosmetic? Does it look weird with the top up and the tape removed?
Old 09-02-2002, 01:18 PM

Originally posted by Utah S2K

If your car is new you shouldn't have a problem, if is more then a few months old you must excersise great restraint and take a good deal of time warming the glue.

Keep in mind, though, that the dealership will likely not help you out if you screw it up !
Old 09-02-2002, 01:26 PM

I had mine on for about 3 months when I pulled the tape off. It took about 5 minutes, there were no bad paint places, and not one bit of glue stuck to the paint either.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:06 PM

I'm assuming that when Honda painted the car, they painted the whole thing and felt that the frame should be black so they taped it. That would explain why the blacks have no tape. Personally, I like the black frame. It gives it a more aggressive look (especially with the top up).
Old 09-02-2002, 03:07 PM

I took off my tape this afternoon. It took a total of about one hour including wax and pictures. I think it looks great. I was at the dealership earlier looking at Honda's Cart racing car and the 2002 Black (New) S2000 on the showroom floor did not have the tape on.
Old 09-02-2002, 03:40 PM

Granted, that IS some very good tape (I thought the frame was painted). I wonder where someone whould get tape like that. I think it would look really trick to tape up suspension and other chassis components for a show car.

-Spoon
Old 09-02-2002, 04:16 PM

Personally, I've had my windshield tape off for a year, and I am just about sick of the look when the top is up -- unless I get a nice Spa Yellow hardtop in the next couple of months, I want to put it back on!!!
Old 09-02-2002, 04:42 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

xv7vx, that's great!

I'll just warn you guys, though, that there've been a number of folks who reported the same scuffing that I had. I'm still glad I did it, mind you, but it was unfortunate that the scuffing was there.

Oh, and by the way, my car was new and the scuffing wasn't due to the paint peeling from the tape removal. I'll state with near certainty that the tape was applied on top of the scuffs, probably it the Takenazawa factory.

I posted a tape removal thread (with pix), by the way, in the wash/wax forum. Don't have the link handy right now. Best wishes.

EDIT: found the link -- windshield tape link .

Quick Reply: This is gona make some of you VERY jealous!