S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

got a bs ticket

Old 12-13-2003, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ramp is very sharp curve and i was prventing hard braking to prevent snap oversteer forgot to explain that part i did not see the cop until the middle of turn there is a bridge blocking my view since the curve goes under the bridge
Old 12-13-2003, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is going to be a tough one to fight. They are going to take the approach that it was your responsibility to maintain a safe following distance.

If you didn't, then he's got you. I don't see a way around this one. I get the impression that you were hauling a$$ around the curve (if you were worried about snap oversteer from braking, you were hauling a$$) and came up on the a$$ end of the car in front of you. It just happened to be a cop this time. :|
Old 12-13-2003, 02:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about your state, but in most a competent attorney can have citations like these lowered to non-moving voilations.

The trade off is usually an increased fine, which when you get down to it was probably the reason you were ticketed in the first place, the piggies and the state need and want your money.

If you are cheap (as I am) you have a couple more options. You can go to court and try talking to the PA before the first hearing, or you can cross your fingers and hope the judge is offering some sort of deal to everyone that day in an effort to speed things up, generally an increased fine and a trip to traffic school.

Good luck.
Old 12-13-2003, 06:46 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joeking1978

[B]Next time I get pulled over...
Old 12-13-2003, 08:05 PM

lol! ...that's what you get for having a shiney Suzuka Blue with the top down in Mustang Territory!!!

(99% chance he himself owns one... and in fact... was OWNED by me! ....gotta get your revenge SOMEhow I guess!)
Old 12-13-2003, 09:58 PM

bump
Old 12-14-2003, 05:11 AM

why do you post "bump" on all the threads...

....applying for a moderator position!? ...don't worry, I think they're set for now.
Old 12-14-2003, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by mikecl713
the ramp is very sharp curve and i was prventing hard braking to prevent snap oversteer forgot to explain that part i did not see the cop until the middle of turn there is a bridge blocking my view since the curve goes under the bridge
don't mean to sound like an ass, but if what you said about "the ramp is a very sharp curve... i went in a lil too fast... there is a bridge blocking my view..." then maybe you were speeding or at least you should've slowed down quite a bit. Don't get me wrong, our S was made to carve through tight turns at twice the speed limit, maybe you just got used to it. Also, did you give at least 1 car length distance or were you just speeding up (to a cop's eye) and riding on his ass?

Either way, good luck. I think if you plead "no contest" you might be able to drop the charges and just pay for the court cost and the ticket w/o occuring any points to the insurance b/c that's what will really get you at the end.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:42 PM

I read posts like this all the time. It never stops amazing me.

Three things:

1) how many sports car owners on sports car enthusiest discussion boards say that you deserved it for speeding! As if the speed limits were set reasonably.

2) how little most people know about the law, police procedures, Etc.

3) how seldom people will listen to someone who knows about police procedures and how they won't seek out advice from organizations like NMA that can help them.

If you are fighting a ticket because the speed limit wasn't posted, you need to look into the MUTCD. You also need to look at the laws in your State. Speed limits must be posted to be enforced. The speed limit starts at the first sign that you see, once you pass it. If there was no sign for you to see, you can beat this, it's not just State but federal law. But don't be suprised if you have to appeal first. Contact NMA.

If you were coming up on a cop on an off ramp, and you were both slowing down to yield or stop before yielding, then you were not following too closely, you were closing the distance between you as you came to a stop. There's no legal way to get a ticket for speeding under these circumstances either. He didn't pace you. He couldn't visually estimate your speed or use radar on a curve like that. What would he say, that you must have been speeding to close the distance on him, even though he was slowing down himself? Now cops can stop in front of us and claim we were following too closely when we close the distance in the process of slowing down? Contact NMA. If you don't make motions for discovery ASAP it may be too late in your State to get access to the back of his citation and incident report.
Old 12-14-2003, 07:35 PM

Aaaaah, worthless......see how our tax money being wasted by hiring these worthless cops?

Why aren't they patroling by the area where homicide rate is high and other violent crimes are rampant?!

Instead they have to patrol highways near prominent neighborhood just to pull people over for some bullsht reasons for revenue!

SICK OF PIGS!

Quick Reply: got a bs ticket