S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Grand Canyon roadtrip in 10k mile AP2! (Pic heavy.)

Old 11-14-2015, 04:45 PM

Received 196 Likes on 169 Posts

I've been to the Grand Canyon maybe 3 or 4 times. I like the north rim, but that's probably snowed in by now. The Grand Canyon is really vast and hard to appreciate the size even when standing on the rim. I've climbed down a couple of times, but not all that far for the fear of having to climb back out.

I like Yosemite better, and would recommend over the Grand Canyon. Not as big, but much more dramatic. Vertical cliffs like you can't believe. I was there mid April, stayed at first on the east side. But still 40 feet of snow on the ground and all roads in from the east were closed. Ditched the rented condo and drove a full day around to the west side. Able to get in - not much snow in the valley. Hiked around for 3 or 4 days.

I've thought of taking a long road trip in the S. But I planned to take a hammock tent. Photos show that it wouldn't do me much good between West Texas and Arizona. No trees.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:21 PM

Received 346 Likes on 281 Posts

you've photographed everything i love to see on a road trip- americana, history, planes, just excellent!

thank you for taking the time to post your trip.

enjoy the ride.

darcy
Old 11-15-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
you've photographed everything i love to see on a road trip- americana, history, planes, just excellent!

thank you for taking the time to post your trip.

enjoy the ride.

darcy
The aircraft were definitely a lucky find!

Final pictures added up top. Total trip was 2,599 miles in four days of driving. No problems whatsoever. Can't wait until the next trip!
Old 11-15-2015, 06:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wonder what you have to do to score trailoring a heli down the road. Probably my favorite shot out of all of them.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:00 PM

I actually saw a wingless F-106 Delta Dart being trailered - in the opposite direction. Wish I had gotten a photo.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice job, thanks
Old 11-16-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by resipsa
Earlier this year, I rescued a one-owner 6,000 mile AP2. In the time that I've owned it, I've already doubled the mileage. Since purchasing it, I replaced the tires, battery, fluids, and clear-bra'd the front end. Other than that, it remains a fairly stock 12k mile car. After finishing the clear bra, I decided that a road trip was appropriate. I won't be living in this area for much longer (hopefully), and since I've never driving around this area much (I'm from the east coast), I decided it was a good time to see more of it. So I packed my bags, and a tent, and headed off to the Grand Canyon from south Texas.

Didn't want to take I-10, as there was nothing to see, so I planned my trip through Alpine, Marathon, and Marfa on the way to El Paso (9 hour trip). From El Paso, I would drive to the Grand Canyon through Magdalenda, NM (another 9 hour trip), and spend the night there at the Mather Campgrounds.

First thing was to get fuel, human fuel (Starbucks), check tire pressures, and get an alignment. I also placed a thick towel on my seat and sat on that to provide some more comfort, and prevent excessive wear to my seat from the long trip.

Packed a few things, and off I went!
Thanks so much for the travel log. your pictures are great, The car ain't too bad either.

StanW
Old 11-17-2015, 12:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

looks like you had a fun time. thanks for sharing the pics. i went on a roadtrip from CA to New Mexico in my S a few months ago. didn't stop at the Grand Canyon, as it was a pretty quick trip, but I've been there before. it really is breathtaking. i did stop by the Petrifed Forest National Park. i was very pleasantly surprised. it was very scenic.

while definitely not an ideal roadtrip car, taking the s2k on long trips really isn't bad at all. the trunk is a lot more roomy than you'd think.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:12 PM

Received 1,302 Likes on 977 Posts

Makes me want to do another trip with my S2000. I went from the chicago burbs and drove around a bunch of states in the southwest for a couple weeks. Got to see Roswell; a tarantula hawk landed in front of my foot when I came out of a cave in Carlsbad (I have never been more afraid in my life); got to stay with friends in los angeles and san diego. Almost drove into Juarez by mistake. Goodass trip.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:16 PM

This is pretty neat, thanks for sharing the pics

Were you solo? I'm planning on a roadtrip next spring in my S, but I would most likely be bring my girlfriend along with me. Not sure if there would be enough space for 2 though.

Quick Reply: Grand Canyon roadtrip in 10k mile AP2! (Pic heavy.)