S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

H&R Coilovers - TireRack est....$1300-$1400.

Old 11-22-2000, 03:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by cdelena:
I am interested in improved units, especially at a reasonable price (at least as compared to the Mugan models), but sure would like to know some details.. spring rates, damper characteristics, etc.
This is the most interesting information I got from Bilstein:

We do have 2 different kit types. On the one hand PSS which is just adjustable in height, on the other hand we have the PSS9 which is adjustable in height but also in damping force.

Yes, we do have a kit for Honda S2000 in our program, but just a PSS kit. The kit number is F4-HE5-8038-M0.

Formally it was just produced for the Japanese market, but they can be sold the the European market as well.

Unfortunately it is not in stock yet. We still await the rear shock absorber coming out of production.

This kit is not for racing use and the spring rates are: front 60 kg/cm and rear 50 kg/cm.
FYI stock spring rates are 39kg/cm front and 51kg/cm rear. Assuming that damping is inline with these spring rates, the bilsteins may go a long way to neutralize the oversteering characteristics that some people complain about.

There is plenty of information about shocks and suspensions on the web. This one is pretty good albeit somewhat basic: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/2195/su...sion_bible.html

If you want something a bit more advanced, try: http://www.se-r.net/suspension/shock_tech.html

[This message has been edited by Luis (edited November 22, 2000).]
Old 11-22-2000, 03:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Luis, thanks for the information.. it will be very interesting to compare the spring rates for the Bilstein and H&R units.

How are you anticipating the price of the Bilstein product? Has there been an announcement, or are basing it on the price in Japan?

The link explaining suspension components is good, it will go a long way in answering some questions that come up on the board.

Old 11-22-2000, 04:01 AM

How are you anticipating the price of the Bilstein product? Has there been an announcement, or are basing it on the price in Japan?

My estimate of 1000 euros + taxes is based on the actual price of PSS units now available for other cars.
Old 11-22-2000, 04:17 AM

Anyone, interested in this deal in the North East area, I will be doing the install for Scot. Maybe we could all get together for this install and take pictures and what not.

Let me know if anyone is interested, obviously this will depend on the Group Buy and when the parts arrive.

Also, we could do multiple installs at that time.
Later(AKA Latez )-

Marty
Old 11-22-2000, 07:24 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luis:
[B]
Old 11-22-2000, 09:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cdelena:
[B] It is interesting that the Mugen setup increases the bias towards the rear (1.57) over the stock spring
Old 11-22-2000, 06:30 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luis:
[B] BTW, of all the shocks I researched only Spoon and Bilstein propose stiffer front springs. Weird...
Old 11-22-2000, 07:02 PM

The GB price is good, but If you are right and the Bilsteins sell for about 1000 Euros they will be a real bargain, cheaper than stock replacements.

Now I just have to convince the wife the stock ones are worn out
Old 11-23-2000, 05:18 AM

I've got additional information on the bilstein dampers.

Listprice in Portugal is 1200 euros. Tax not included (17% in here, just imagine!).

I should be able to get some discount, so final price will be competitive and inline with what I posted before. But let me make a the disclaimer straight away that unfortunately I cannot volounteer to organize any sort of group buy. Remember also, that Bilstein has offices in the US, maybe someone could contact them.

And BTW it will not be available before January 2001, which is further evidence that the H&R may be bilstein sourced.

As for the technical data, I have got a four sheet spec list that I can try to post later.

But, basically this is the snapshot:
Old 11-23-2000, 08:14 AM

I am certainly lost in spring and damper rates now, and have absolutely no idea which way to go other than trial and error, and that is somewhat difficult and expensive. Maybe this is the ideal case for adjustable units.

There are times that the S2000 feels over sprung and under damped, and other times where I

Quick Reply: H&R Coilovers - TireRack est....$1300-$1400.