S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Have I found the ultimate 'get low' seat for tall guys?

Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have I found the ultimate 'get low' seat for tall guys?

Hello Gents,
I bought my S a few months back and have been on the hunt for the perfect seat. Since I'm between 6'3"-6'4", it's been a bit of work trying to find one that would fit in the car properly while dropping me down a few inches. I think I've found a great solution though, the Reverie Super Sports B. I can't actually take credit for discovering this seat (credit goes to Patrick at Urge Designs). However, I think I may be the first to document the install of this particular seat in the S2000. You can see all of the details with lots of nice pics on the Essex Parts Blog.

Here's the seat:

Here's an idea of what it did for me:

Old 07-26-2016, 06:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that is "how low can you go" seat! Sure fits great, nice pick. And Patrick is a pretty good dude.

Just read your blog thread and it left me a little confused. The first picture in the Installation section is the seat seating on the Sable mount. Later you said you mounted the seat fixed. So I thought you were done. But then in later pictures(and text) I see all that billet aluminum from your 350Z and a guy with CNC mill. So I guess in the end you did not use the Wedge mount or the Sable mount, but a totally custom designed that a mere mortal like myself is unable to purchase. You need to work with Patrick and produce your mounting system!
Old 07-26-2016, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DaGou
Wow that is "how low can you go" seat! Sure fits great, nice pick. And Patrick is a pretty good dude.

Just read your blog thread and it left me a little confused. The first picture in the Installation section is the seat seating on the Sable mount. Later you said you mounted the seat fixed. So I thought you were done. But then in later pictures(and text) I see all that billet aluminum from your 350Z and a guy with CNC mill. So I guess in the end you did not use the Wedge mount or the Sable mount, but a totally custom designed that a mere mortal like myself is unable to purchase. You need to work with Patrick and produce your mounting system!

Thanks. From my blog post:
I started out with a trusty Wedge Engineering base mount. I've used their products a couple of times in the past, and I've been pleased with the quality of their offerings. For the rails to attach to the base mount, I was able to re-purpose the billet aluminum units that were in my C5Z. I fortunately had an outstanding engineer and a CNC mill on my side, so with a few modifications I was able to make all of the holes line up. I won't go into too many details on the mounting, but I will say that the Reverie Sports B should fit on most common seat rails. I initially tried using a standard Sabelt mount, but thought I could get the seat back a bit further and down a little lower with the other rails I had. Since I wasn't concerned about anyone else driving my car, I mounted my seat in a fixed position and didn't have to worry about sliders. I'm guessing they'd add 1/2" to an 1" in overall height if they were installed. Below is the seat attached to the Sabelt mount (part#Z20005B for reference).

Recap:
1. I used a standard Wedge Engineering base mount bolted to the floor.
2. I used some old rails out of my C5 Z06 Corvette that I had to modify.
3. I did NOT use any type of slider since my wife never drives my S2000 (she prefers the Miata)

I mentioned in my blog post that the Reverie seat will fit on standard side mount rails, since that's how most people would likely try and mount it (an out-of-the-box solution, rather than a custom fab job).

I tried using the standard Sabelt mount, but found that I could get further back and lower with my modified custom rails. It was more work, but I think it paid off in my case.

You need to work with Patrick and produce your mounting system!
I've thought about it, but I'm worried about going too far afield from our core competency, which is brakes. That's our primary focus. I suppose we'd consider it if there was enough interest. Anything we designed and produced would not be cheap however. We don't do cheap. We do the best.

We did a similar project when we had our shop BRZ. We created the most kick-arse harness bar for the FT86 that anyone could ever want. It's so much nicer than everything else out there: Essex Designed FT86 adjustable harness bar
We have the ability to design some really trick products, but we are so darn busy that there has to be a good business case for it.

Thanks, and let me know if anyone has other questions.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:53 AM

Sorry I must be an idiot! First I think it is pretty funny that somehow I got 350Z out of CZ5! But I still have no idea what you did. I am sure it is just me and as said before it does not matter at I could never mount one in the fashion you did.

Here is my confusion:
Recap:

I do not get why you had to use both of these. Where you not done after using the Wedge Engineering base mount bolted to the floor? Are saying you used a belt and suspenders? You bolted it the floor with the Wedge then after making/modifying some hardware you also bolted it to the existing OEM rails without the sliders?
Old 07-26-2016, 10:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Sorry I must be an idiot! First I think it is pretty funny that somehow I got 350Z out of CZ5! But I still have no idea what you did. I am sure it is just me and as said before it does not matter at I could never mount one in the fashion you did.

Here is my confusion:
Recap:

I do not get why you had to use both of these. Where you not done after using the Wedge Engineering base mount bolted to the floor? Are saying you used a belt and suspenders? You bolted it the floor with the Wedge then after making/modifying some hardware you also bolted it to the existing OEM rails without the sliders?
Hmmmm...okay. Let me try this again. The only OEM bits I used were the bolts that hold the OEM seat to the floor.

The Wedge base mount is the black piece that attaches to the OEM holes in the floor. It's a simple square piece of steel with a little protrusion to attach the OEM seatbelt receiver. It looks very similar to this:

The next piece stacked on top of the Wedge base mount are what I'm calling the rails. They could also be called a 'side mount.' Mine look just like the pic below. They have a 90 degree bend and the sides of the seat mount directly to the smaller pieces. The larger pieces bolt directly on top of the Wedge base mount via four holes that are drilled through the Wedge mount.

Here's what the rail components look like spread out:

The more common type of side mount is less complicated and are a single piece. They look like this:

If you wanted to be able to slide the seat forward and backward, you'd have to integrate some type of sliding mechanism. Some people mount one of those on top of the wedge base mount. That would look something like the pic below. Then you'd have to attach a side mount on top of the sliders. Since I didn't need my seat to slide, I skipped sliders all together.

Finally, some sliding mechanisms have an integrated base mount and side mounts, and they bolt directly to the floor like this:

All in all there are a lot of ways to get a seat attached into the car. Hopefully that makes more sense. I'm not sure how many more ways I can break it down. Thanks.
Old 07-26-2016, 10:38 AM

Jeff,

What do those seats retail for?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:14 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Jeff,

What do those seats retail for?
According to Reverie's site, 995 GBP. At today's exchange rate that's about $1300 (thanks Brexit). I see people on this forum buying plastic Recaro's from Japan for $2k, so that seemed like a pretty reasonable price to me.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:27 AM

Thanks for seat mounting 101! I totally get you know.
Thanks for spending the time you are a patient man.

The other issue that AP2 owners have, especially 06+ and above, is the drivers seat bottom is packed with electronic modules. I have not totally looked into it but I have heard stories of everything from the air bags not deploying to your ABS brakes not working if you throw out all the modules to constant CEL and idiot lights. I wish someone sold an electronics package that safety bypasses all this stuff.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:46 PM

The other issue that AP2 owners have, especially 06+ and above, is the drivers seat bottom is packed with electronic modules. I have not totally looked into it but I have heard stories of everything from the air bags not deploying to your ABS brakes not working if you throw out all the modules to constant CEL and idiot lights. I wish someone sold an electronics package that safety bypasses all this stuff.
Just buy a spare hallway sensor and harness, and leave it tucked away under the seat. Zero issues.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by psychoazn
Originally Posted by DaGou' timestamp='1469640437' post='24026352

Just buy a spare hallway sensor and harness, and leave it tucked away under the seat. Zero issues.
Thanks man, Googling Hallway now!

Quick Reply: Have I found the ultimate 'get low' seat for tall guys?