S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

headlight output..

Old 02-07-2003, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default headlight output..

just came inside from measuring the lux emitted from my S2000 and my 01 (old body) Explorer..

With low beams about 50 ft from both vehicles, the S2000's HID's only put out 109 lux.. the Explorer has about 155..(with fog lights added goes up to 164)

With high beam, the Explorer is still about 155-160, but the S2000 goes to 400(since it has HID's and the highbeams)

up close, (6" away) the regular lights on the Explorer shine about 60,000.. S2000's are about 85,000(probably getting light from the HID's too) and the HID's max out my light meter(goes to 100000)

I'm thinking that I need to go into the light housing on the S2000 and raise the blinders a TINY bit.. letting a little more light from the HID's shine on the road.. since even if I raised the lights themselves with the adjustment, no more light would be hitting the road..
Old 02-08-2003, 07:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anything in particular you're trying to prove? Personally, I'm more interested in my HIDs putting out more IR to blind some smokey's LIDAR gun
Old 02-08-2003, 09:21 AM

I think dundonr is trying to address the problem that many s2ks get high-beamed from other cars because they think they are getting flashed by the s2ks who just have low beams on.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:30 AM

I doubt that's the case, but if it is, he's barking up the wrong tree. No other car that I'm aware of has the shield behind projector headlamps which create the sharp cutoff characteristic of our HIDs. When you combine this with our tight suspensions, you're bound to get an annoying response from people.
Old 02-08-2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by MacGyver
No other car that I'm aware of has the shield behind projector headlamps which create the sharp cutoff characteristic of our HIDs.
Every car with a projector headlamp (characterized by the planoconvex lens and ellipsoid reflector housing) has this shield. The sharp cutoff is due proper calculation of the placement of the shield with the focal point of the lens, as well as the quality of the lens and the reflector housing.

Richard
Old 02-08-2003, 12:46 PM

Heh, thanks Richard....I guess my comment could be read to mean we are the only ones with it, but it wasn't my intention to say that. I meant what you more clearly wrote.
Old 02-09-2003, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by benben007
I think dundonr is trying to address the problem that many s2ks get high-beamed from other cars because they think they are getting flashed by the s2ks who just have low beams on.
No.. I'm saying that I think the S2000 should have more light hitting the road than it does at a distance with just the low beams on.. increase the height of the shield, then aim the lights down to compensate for it.. this SHOULD put more light out in front of you, but not have it aimed into peoples eyes..
Old 02-10-2003, 12:15 AM

Originally posted by dundonr

No.. I'm saying that I think the S2000 should have more light hitting the road than it does at a distance with just the low beams on.. increase the height of the shield, then aim the lights down to compensate for it.. this SHOULD put more light out in front of you, but not have it aimed into peoples eyes..
I'm not sure what you mean by increase the height of the shield. Doing this will only make the cutoff for the beam a little lower; it won't really increase the light output since the cutoff shield isn't reflective such that it's focusing the light back at the ellipsoid housing.

Richard
Old 02-10-2003, 06:10 AM

I don't think any of us has been able to write a sentence the others can fully understand

I THINK what dun was TRYING to say was moving more of the shield out of the way (believing the shield comes from the top of the light down, hence increasing the height to move it out of the way more) and then aiming the light down at a greater angle to compensate for the higher cutoff point. Sound correct, dun?
Old 02-10-2003, 07:11 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]I don't think any of us has been able to write a sentence the others can fully understand

I THINK what dun was TRYING to say was moving more of the shield out of the way (believing the shield comes from the top of the light down, hence increasing the height to move it out of the way more) and then aiming the light down at a greater angle to compensate for the higher cutoff point.

Quick Reply: headlight output..