S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Help - sold car and new owner wants to return!

Old 07-04-2010, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - sold car and new owner wants to return!

Help! I sold my beloved S2000 yesterday to a young lad. He did not test drive the car as he had no insurance, howevcer he went for 20min drive with my husband at the wheel. Having got home he called me to say he didn't like the drive, didn;t like the clutch, gears, anything! He wants to return it. Apart from being surprised, and also upset, my head tells me not to do this, my heart makes me feel a bit sorry for the guy. However, he knocked down to rock bottom price, and turned up even £200 short (so had no intention of paying what he said anyway). Also at the age of 24 it seems he has had many, many cars, so obviously is not new to the buying game. What do I do?
Old 07-04-2010, 01:16 AM

um, coming from a guy who just bought his used s2k less than a month ago:

your buyer is SOL.
don't fall for any gimmicks.
it's buyer beware.

a 20 minute drive should have been enough to be able to make a conscious decision on whether he should purchase the car or not.
it only took me a 10 minute drive to know i had a winner within grasp.

sell it and forget it.

-DRU
Old 07-04-2010, 01:42 AM

He says he will give us some money for our inconvenience. But my worry is what could have happened to the car since 5pm yesterday. His drive from us was 1hr 30mins....
Old 07-04-2010, 02:30 AM

options
1) Just tell him to sell it. S2Ks aren't that hard to sell
2) Refund it, if you do, get it inspected. Make sure the VIN matches. Check DMV to make sure there are no outstanding tickets that he racked up.

(Overall this sounds really fishy).
Old 07-04-2010, 02:35 AM

Thanks. My husband has told him so far that whilst he would like to help, with the best will in the world he cannot do so since the car has been out of our ownership for a day and we don't know what he may have done. Strangely the car has been on the market for about 8 weeks and I have only had 2 people interested, which is why we took such low price for it. I already upgraded thinking I would sell quickly and can't afford to hang on to it for so long. Let's see what his next move is. Thanks!
Old 07-04-2010, 03:47 AM

do not allow him to return it. he's obviously either stupid or pulling a dodgy, so the risk should be his, not yours.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't buy a car unless you are sure about it. I would not accept the car back if I were you.
Old 07-04-2010, 04:31 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is not Nordstom where you can return things. He low balled you on price - you don't owe him anything. Case closed.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:20 AM

In general I would not allow him to return it, but it is kind of a situation you néed to go by feel.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:33 AM

No way man. I think you will regret it if you take the car back....I agree with the others...sounds suspicious and I dont trust anyone these days. Did he commit some crime while driving your car? You have no idea....As a lot of us say in the medical field, "No good deed will go unpunished."

Quick Reply: Help - sold car and new owner wants to return!