S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hidden garage door opener. Hardtop owners please help.

Old 12-09-2000, 09:48 AM
Ray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my Spa Yellow two days ago, and I absolutely love the car.

But my old school Genie garage door opener looks big and clunky hanging down from the visor. So I am trying to find a way to hide the remote somewhere and rewire the switch to a HRW switch which I assume goes to that blank space besides the steering wheel column.

Does anybody know for sure what switch goes into that blank space? And if you have a hardtop, does the HRW switch lock into place once you press it like the Cruise Control button or does it come right back up?

Any info would be appreciated.
Old 12-09-2000, 09:56 AM
pfb

On hardtop models, the rear defrost switch gets mounted on a small panel that replaces the small vertical pocket just behind the cupholder on the console.

Would be nice to get the part #'s for the panel and switch and determine if they are orderable in the US.

Last time the subject came up, consensus was that the blank that matches the cruise button on the dash is for cruise control on RHD cars.
Old 12-09-2000, 10:01 AM

I'm a little confused but I clipped my garage door opener under the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. You can't see it at all.
Old 12-09-2000, 10:25 AM

I lucked-out and can store my opener in the little storage bin behind the hazzard and roof controls. Fits perfectly.
Old 12-09-2000, 01:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We bounced this idea around back in the good 'ol H-A.net days and noone could come up with a switch that would fit in that spot. The cruise control switch is angled the wrong direction, and the defroster and headlight washer switches are on a panel that replaces the coin bin. If anyone can find a switch for the blanking plate on the right side of the steering wheel, I'll be all over it!

One option is to go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and buy a smaller version of your garage door opener. I have one that fits perfectly into the coin slot (which I never found to be too handy for coins anyway).
Old 12-09-2000, 05:36 PM
AP

My garage door motor disintegrated a month ago and I replaced it with a newer model which came with a much smaller remote than the original one. This one fits behind the radio door, and the metal clip clips onto the receipt/sunglasses "sleeve". Just enough room to close the radio door. Tight! as you fellows say...
Old 12-09-2000, 10:13 PM

I found this neat little gadget at http://www.smarthome.com/7449.html It's a keyring size device that is programmable to most garage door openers.

red/black#1124

[This message has been edited by lvs2k (edited December 09, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by lvs2k (edited December 09, 2000).]
Old 12-10-2000, 05:19 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lvs2k:
[B]I found this neat little gadget at http://www.smarthome.com/7449.html
Old 12-10-2000, 06:43 AM

The remote looks nice, problem is I have an older opener that uses DIP switches. (I think that is what they are called)
A year ago, my son found a match book size opener at Walmart, but now that I need one, I can't find them anywhere.

Dave
Old 12-10-2000, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by Rush2000:
..... I clipped my garage door opener under the dash just to the right of the steering wheel. You can't see it at all.
I also clipped my remote to the edge under the dash. Can't see it from outside the car and no velcro to come unglued from the heat.

Quick Reply: Hidden garage door opener. Hardtop owners please help.