S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

High mileage car value change with paint job/engine build etc

Old 05-26-2015, 09:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Default High mileage car value change with paint job/engine build etc

I have been going back and forth on what to do with my S2000. I have been toying with selling it and buying a vette or some other sports car to try out for a change.

I've had my S2000 for almost 8 years now. I'm the 2nd owner and bought it with 65k miles on it. I now have 193k miles on it so I have gotten a ton of use out of that's for sure!!

Anyways it is super high mileage now, needs a paint job as pretty much every panel has something wrong with it(dings, dents, scratches, even a little rust on bottom by rear wheel) and eventually I am sure a new engine would be good(since I am boosted for a while now). Engine runs perfect still though.
I am supercharged making just over 420whp in it.

I have had it listed for sale for 11k with the complete supercharger setup and suspension but minus wheels, exhaust and some other interior and under the hood parts.

Anyways I have thought of keeping it and fixing it up to look mint instead.

I know you don't usually get a good return on mods etc but would a high quality complete paint job increase value do you think on my S2000?

I'd hate to spend 4-5k on a paint job and have it look perfect condition only to still be able to sell it only for 11k.

Same for if I put a built 2.4L stroker engine. Would either of those really make it more valuable do you think? I know people say mods don't add value but in the real world they really do if done right. A supercharged S will always sell for more in my experience compared to an NA if both in same condition, miles etc.

I know V8 swapped S2000's seem to go for a lot more than a stock s2k same year etc.

I would think even with the high mileage if mint with a high end paint job and built motor/sc setup it would go for more.

If I did fix it up I would keep it for a good while more as I wouldn't do paint and engine to try to help the sale but eventually I would sell it I think.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the only way you can increase the value of the car is if you have the experience to do it yourself. Although a newly built engine and paint job will increase the car's value to the right buyer, you will still lose money (IMO). I would just sell the car as is and buy the corvette.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like your ONLY option is to sell it as-is or the only better option would be to revert it back to stock and sell the parts (including the SC kit).

Painting is a terrible idea.

2.4 stroker is a terrible idea.

Rebuilding the motor is a poor idea unless you can do it cheaper than they could, by quite a bit

You've gotten 190k+ mi out of it. You've spent a lot of that car (as in, you've spent the majority of the value of that car in mileage). People don't buy SC setups with blocks/heads that have 190k on them. Take the SC off, drive it for 2k+ more miles to make sure it's 100%, and do a comp/leakdown after that to give a potential buyer a warm and fuzzy. I feel like you can make your 11k if you do that, pretty easily (car+parts sold total)

Your target buyer is someone that is probably making $30k that has always wanted an s2k but has never been able to afford one. He/she will want some of the reliability, but probably won't car that the paint is 100%.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for the tips!

I have a lot of people interested in the car at the 11k. A few are wanting it for a track only car.

I have a ton of other parts so all said and done parted out would be close to 20K I think. I would rather sell the car for 11k with supercharger setup and then part the rest of the parts out like exhaust, wheels, interior goodies etc if I sell the car.

I have definitely gotten my money's worth with this car no doubt about it! Especially since I bought the car for 14.5k back in 2007 1 owner mint.

Just got a quote for 3k to do a full paint job same color with PPG paint.

I will only paint the car if I plan on keeping the cars for years still. If selling I guess I will leave it as is condition wise and just pull some parts.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

only repaint if you plan on keeping the car. high mileage cars, esp heavily modded ones, are difficult to sell as it is. pouring more $$$ into it is only going to lighten your pockets. if you're going to sell and have the time, parting it out is almost always the way to go. it takes a lot of luck for the right buyer to come along and give you fair value for a modded car.