S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Hit and run.

Old 10-31-2000, 07:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few months ago I was at a car dealer buying a Civic EX for my mom-in-law, while my wife was inside talking with the salesperson, I happened to go outside to have a smoke...I try not to park my car next to anyone or try to find an end spot...but in this case I was parked in in the middle next to a Honda Accord that I saw drive in. It only had a driver with no passengers so I thought I was safe. Well, as I was putting out my cig, I notice a woman with a car seat and baby start to get into the Accord I am thinking crap she is going to ding my car. So I stood there and watched as she opened the door... and she was very careful not to hit my car....then she bent over to put the car seat in and she bumps the door with her butt and it hits my car. I see this and I am fuming. I run over there as she is getting in the car and I bang on the window and yell at her that she hit my car. She denied it all. So I asked the driver for his insurance and all that info and he refused to give it to me. I had no choice but to call the police. The police came out and made the driver provide his insurance info and all that. The woman at this point is adamant that she didnt do it. I showed the cop the ding on my car and opened the Accord's door and it lined up perfectly. This was on a Sunday. On Monday I contacted his insurance company and they had already been contacted by the driver in the Accord. They said an insurance adjuster would be contacting me and that the driver is insistent that he did not do the damage. The adjuster comes to my work and measures the distance from the ground to where the ding is at. The ding was on the upper part of my drivers door. About 3 inches below the window right above the bend. We talk for a bit talking about how ridiculous this is for him to be wasting his time like this and how this will cost the driver of the Accord more money in the long run with increased premiums then to have just settled with me in the first place. So he goes to see the Accord and lo and behold they had some paint missing right at the same height as my ding and it was on the edge of their rear door. The adjuster determined that the Accord was at fault and asked me how much I needed to fix the ding...I already had the ding removed at this point and it was 79.00 performed by dent pro. they are awesome. Anyway, I could have told this guy whatever I wanted and he would have written a check for that amount. But honest me had to say 79.00. The adjuster says "is that all?", at this point I am thinking...sheesh I could have said 300.00 and he would have been happy...anyway, the driver's premiums will go up, I have no ding and it didnt cost me a dime.

So I guess the moral of the story is to "own up to your mistakes"
Old 10-31-2000, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for everyone's condolences. It could be a lot worse. All they are going to have to do is replace the front bumper cover.

There was no one to be found around my car, hence no witnesses.

I was parked so far out there, it took me 3 min to walk to the car!

I agree that someone had to see something, but no one stayed around to talk about it. Not a note, not a panicing teen, nothing!

Oh, well, stuff happens!

Originally posted by nvmys2k:
Have you seen the Jetta commercial where the guy parks so far from everyone, that is how I park too at Wal Mart..

Old 10-31-2000, 11:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TFota:
[B]Old story:
Contents of the note:

"Sorry I hit your car.
Old 11-01-2000, 03:52 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens:
[B]
Old 11-01-2000, 04:02 AM

Received 116 Likes on 77 Posts

My wife and daughter were staying in Boston looking at schools. They were out one evening and got lost due to all of the construction. She slowed down at an exit ramp and a van next to her didn't want to wait and sped around her clipping the front fender. The person goes to the bottom of the ramp and stops. My wife didn't like the location so she drove up a bit and stopped, the van followed and also stopped. They must have seen that there were 2 women because as soon as my wife got out they split.

She was so upset by being lost and then hit she checked out of the hotel and came home. She called the Boston police to report the accident and they wanted her to go all the way back to Boston to report it. She offered to go to a Ma. Trooper station over the NY border but they said she had to go to Boston (one of the officers she spoke to did not think she should have to but he wasn't hanlding the call).

We called our ins. co. to make sure a claim wasn't put in against her and they are pursuing it. CRV is in the shop now.

Jim
Old 11-01-2000, 04:49 AM

Sorry to hear what happened! I hope this is not catching!

Drive safely everyone! And watch where you park.
Old 11-01-2000, 05:15 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Harvey, I feel for you.
Out of curiousity, and maybe so we can learn from it, how did the front get dinged? Did you back in, or someone in front of you not have a cement curb and came in too far?
Hope your baby looks 100% again soon.
Old 11-01-2000, 07:06 AM

I was lucky, he left a note. Still, this repair will cost $2,000. New bumper, new light assembly, trunk repair, some interior metal parts are bent and need repair, etc...

the worst part is that it is taking 2 weeks...

Old 11-01-2000, 07:12 AM

Is it me, or does this red car look...um...metallic??????
That looks like one of the taurus color!
Old 11-01-2000, 07:15 AM

Like flying rock and debris on the highway aren't enought. ARrrggg!

//Geordie

Quick Reply: Hit and run.