S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Are hood pins needed....

Old 02-05-2005, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are hood pins needed....

Hey guys,

I rarely post, but before I did, I attempted to find this topic in a search with no success.

I want to purchase a CF hood and would like to know if hood pins are necessary? If I had it my way, I prefer not to have them.

For all who has the CF hoods, do you notice a difference with or without them? Any advantages or disadvantages? Pardon my inexperience , but how difficult is this to do on a CF hood?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-05-2005, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are necessary.

Advantage of having hood pins is when you cruise on the freeway your hood won't fly off.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:30 PM

carbon fiber hoods aren't nearly as strong as just about any other type. they flex a lot and i've seen the latch part rip off on a friends supra (at about 130 or so, smacked the windshield and flew off, scared the shit out of us) Yes, I would strongly sugest using them.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:54 PM

I haven't seen every CF hood with hood pins. in fact, a good number of them on this board DO NOT have hood pins and I haven't heard any horror stories about them ripping off at high speed.

hood pins add a level of safety, but to say they are absolutely necessary is bunk IMO.
Old 02-06-2005, 04:09 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all depends on which Carbon Fiber hood you get. The authentic ones aren't going to need hood pins and most of the Seibon stuff isn't either, but with replicas it might be a good idea to put them in.
Old 02-06-2005, 06:18 AM

i've never had an issue with my mugen hood, and i don't have pins. even at 140+, i don't notice any instabilities. of course, at that speed i think i'm paying a lot more attention to the road.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:44 AM

HAHAHAHA....notice how everyone these days say they have done a search and found nothing....just because they dont want to get flamed for NOT searching.

IF you had done a simple search for HOOD PINS you would have found THIS THREAD from only a couple of weeks ago

Try it...search really does work
Old 02-06-2005, 08:23 AM

Thanks guys for such a quick feedback! This community offers such great support. After reading some of these post and the link presented by S2000GT, I'll have to give this more thought about buying one or not. Don't want to ruin the clean lines with hood pins.

Also to justify my statement, I did do a search on "hood pins", which result in numerous threads about hoods in general especially aftermarket ones. I scanned the titles for "hood pins", with no avail. So your assumption is only half correct. "Yes" I did do a search and " Yes" I also stated this fact in the original thread to prevent flaming .

Thanks again guys!
Old 02-06-2005, 09:06 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

The search engine here is up and down like a yoyo. Sometimes it great, other times it's useless. We shouldn't dump on people for not searching or searching and finding nothing. If everyone found what they wanted be a search, what would this forum be any good for except as a library and the post whores in Off Topic and the Corner?

As for hood pins on a CF hood, I have both. I guess in the final analysis, they were not "necessary", but I didn't like seeing the edges of the hood lift and flex at speed. The hood pins gives me a bit of "POM". Besides, I'm a hood pin fan from the days of muscle cars anyway. As for the "clean look"? That's a matter of personal taste. I see it as breaking up the huge expanse of nothingness. Hood pins can be "art" in their own right. To each his/her own. It shouldn't be skin off anyone's beak.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:42 AM

if you have a c/f hood definatley get hood pins and use the latch also... rather be safe than sorry

Quick Reply: Are hood pins needed....