S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How did you bring your car back home?

Old 07-04-2014, 12:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How did you bring your car back home?

Hello members!

Ok, I know this isn't the most fitted topic but I figured who else would know better?

I am finally buying my dream car! But the problem is that it is across the country while I live in Los Angeles.

I plan to drive the car back home... But! The car currently has expired registration. And I am aware I need to register the car in CA.

The question is:
1. Is it illegal for me to drive back home without registering the vehicle and with just the pink slip in my hand?
2. Is my only choice to ship the car?
3. How did you guys a veterans bring the car back home?

Also as side note, what is the best way to minimize the damage of long road trip?
Clear bra? Painter tape? I have no clue...

Would appreciate all options and experiences!
Old 07-04-2014, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look online at your CA DMV.I'm sure this subject is covered.I drove mine from NC to SC ,so no prob.Just needed to have bill of sale handy.

Depending where the car is,it might be cheaper to have it shipped....considering being off work & cost of gas,hotel & food.

Do a search in this forum for a recommended shipper...and good luck with your new ride.

\rlr
Carolina
Old 07-04-2014, 05:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've bought my last 3 cars in neighboring states that i live in. haven't had any problems, even was pulled over for having my temp plate on the front window because i had the top down. The cop thought it was maybe a stolen car until i explained to him i just bought it. he was super nice about it all. i'd say just make sure you've got all your paperwork good to go and not to worry about it.
Old 07-04-2014, 06:08 AM

I live in NY and bought my car from OH. I just needed to get temp tags from the OH dmv for ~$20 and have insurance in place.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:15 AM

I bought my car in Missouri and drove it home to Tennessee.I went to the DMV with the owner,had them run the title number to check for problems,both of us signed the title and had it notarized on the spot, and had them issue a temp.tag so I could drive home legally.My insurance agent told me that without a proper tag reg.to the car you are driving,you are considered driving illegally,and my insurance would not pay.Don't know if any of that is true,but it convinced me to do it as right as possible.A little more trouble on the front end,but it might save in the long run.Thats all the old fools advice I have.
Old 07-04-2014, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mine out of state but the dealer gave me a temporary 30 day tag but the drive was only 100 or so miles.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a car in OH and live in VA. I bought a temp tag at the VA DMV website that was good for 3 days.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:45 PM

Received 325 Likes on 275 Posts

Dealer put on a Vt Intransit plate untill I got my NY plate.
Levi
Old 07-04-2014, 04:18 PM

Flew to Chicago and drove to Pa with a 30 day Illinois temp tag. Nice adventure going XC but might be less expensive shipping.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchased a car in Michigan, the seller helped me to obtain a MI temp plate, I drove it to Ohio and the next day had regular plates via my local license bureau. Easy!

Quick Reply: How did you bring your car back home?