S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do you go about colouring the black light casing (Ferrari Style)?????

Old 03-09-2003, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been planning on getting this done for a few months now i just got an extra set of head lights last week. As soon as i get my hood in my car will be off to the body shop and they are going to match the paint and spray the lights with the hood and my front lip. So i am hoping it will match. I will post pics of it when its done and i might be the first yellow to do it
Old 03-09-2003, 07:23 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by Kodokan_4

I don't think there is any paint or coating on the inserts. They are made of black plastic.

-Pete
this I know from doing it myself. It's actually clear plastic coated with black paint and chrome near HID lens. I don't recommend doing it yourself but if you do, you'll have to mask the chrome part which isn't so easy. then, it's better to lightly sand down black paint. Since the base is black, unless you are priming it, choose slightly light red and use multiple coats. I 've used about 5 coats each side.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:25 PM

Originally posted by NYYellows2k
I have been planning on getting this done for a few months now i just got an extra set of head lights last week. As soon as i get my hood in my car will be off to the body shop and they are going to match the paint and spray the lights with the hood and my front lip. So i am hoping it will match. I will post pics of it when its done and i might be the first yellow to do it
I think yellow will look great. you have to come to regional meeting so I can see.
Old 03-09-2003, 07:31 PM

I will be there this weekend comming up most likely but they wont be done yet
Old 03-09-2003, 07:46 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally posted by Kodokan_4

I don't think there is any paint or coating on the inserts. They are made of black plastic.

-Pete
Actual they are made of clear plastic. The black is just paint. I have seen several headlights that have a small bubble under the HID projector where the paint is comming up. From the looks of them (I have seen alot of them open) the bezels are clear, then they are coated with the refletive coating (around the projectors) and then painted black.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:10 PM

nibble, i think you need to post some pics that avatar looks niiiiice
Old 03-09-2003, 08:14 PM

to Rick - Would it be possible to do something like sending in a stock headlight assembly to clear the corners and paint them at the same time?
Old 03-09-2003, 09:35 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally posted by Stratocaster
Actual they are made of clear plastic. The black is just paint. I have seen several headlights that have a small bubble under the HID projector where the paint is comming up. From the looks of them (I have seen alot of them open) the bezels are clear, then they are coated with the refletive coating (around the projectors) and then painted black.
Well, I had to dig out my spare set. I scraped a small spot on the back, and the black came off. There is also some chrome paint on the backside.

I painted the inserts with the black still on them. They were primed, painted, and clear coated, with the same paint used on the body.

I also used flowable silicone to seal them.

-Pete
Old 03-10-2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by SanchothePanda
nibble, i think you need to post some pics that avatar looks niiiiice
thanks,

you could find my images in here

What made real interesting is, I couldn't find amber bulb so I painted them with Tamiya Clear Red paint. now when it lights up, I lights up in Red... kinda matching my body color.

cheers,
Old 03-10-2003, 07:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally posted by SanchothePanda
to Rick - Would it be possible to do something like sending in a stock headlight assembly to clear the corners and paint them at the same time?
Yes, and we currently have a spare set of the inserts to just this kind of task. We would have a few more If I could find another set of wrecked headlights. Right now they have been painted and are waiting to be installed. Just another service for the Clear Corner Conversion customers.