S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How do you launch?

Old 08-26-2003, 06:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do it around 5-6K, in 1st gear every now and then, but not too often (probably avg 1/mo)
Old 08-26-2003, 07:55 AM

I launch my s2k rolling ..
Old 08-26-2003, 08:26 AM

if he wants to, then let him, no biggie. It's fun launching the car.

I would say anywhere between 6000-7000 rpms, and you'll have a nice launch. Adjust for the stickyness of your tires. I have Yoko Es100's.

but do take notice of the warnings. You will probably eventually damage the car seriously. Now...go out, give it a try, but be careful.

T
Old 08-26-2003, 08:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EssTooKayTD
[B]if he wants to, then let him, no biggie.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:10 AM

Probably won't do much if any damage if you launch around 6K.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:14 AM

I havent done it (launched), but the car can't be that fragile. Dumping the clutch at 6k + should prolly break the tires free, reducing probability of damage. Some are acting like its going to kill your car first time. The car is not that fragile.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:20 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2-Raw
[B]

Best response so far.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:04 PM

I launch nice and slow for following reasons:

1. dont wanna burn out the clutch
2. dont wanna damage the drivetrain
3. I bought this car to enjoy highway speeds, not to launch like a dragster. If off the line power was what I wanted, I'd have gotten the 350z. No matter how I try, S2000 isn't gonna feel like how the 350z or the Maxima feels off the line. Im not even gonna try.

hope i'm not sounding pessimistic. these are just my personal reasons.
Old 08-26-2003, 03:38 PM

Use the emergency brake to hold you in position so that you can pre-load the drive train. I will do my best to explain here it is:

Push the button in on the emergency brake lever, lift and hold in an upward postion, rev to 6K, engage the clutch or lift up so that the car would start to move if the rear tires weren't holding it still from the e-brake. Now you are pre-loading or adding tension to the entire driveline.

DO ALL AT THE SAME TIME, move your foot to the left step off the clutch pedal as fast as you can, while holding the RPM's @ 6K, get ready and stomp on the gas and slam the e-brake down, THIS IS ALL AT ONCE. You could use duck tape on the e-brake button, because the lever is spring loaded, so it would snap back into position. This will take some practice, you will bog out and you will move the car off the line. You most likely will not burn the clutch or snap any driveline parts, because of the pre-tension that is being placed on the parts.

I ran a 2001 911 carerra and he barely pulled on me, because of my launch of the line.

I have burnt my clutch 4 times until I learned this technique at the Pro Solo back in April of this year.

Pre-loading the driveline will keep the instant snap at once from occuring, this is what cause's parts to explode at which are stand still.

I hope this all makes sense. If you were here, I could show you in person.

For everyone else that posted unreliable or unuseable comment
Old 08-26-2003, 03:58 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMiS2K
[B]Use the emergency brake to hold you in position so that you can pre-load the drive train. I will do my best to explain here it is:

Push the button in on the emergency brake lever, lift and hold in an upward postion, rev to 6K, engage the clutch or lift up so that the car would start to move if the rear tires weren't holding it still from the e-brake. Now you are pre-loading or adding tension to the entire driveline.

DO ALL AT THE SAME TIME, move youf foot to the left off the clutch pedal as fast as you can, stomp on the gas and slam the e-brake down. You could use duck tape on the e-brake button, because the lever is spring loaded, so it would snap back into position. This will take some practice, you will bog out and you will move the car off the line. You most likely will not burn the clutch or snap any driveline parts, because of the pre-tension that is being placed on the parts.

Quick Reply: How do you launch?