S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How low can we go b4 it makes handeling worse?

Old 07-26-2007, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low can we go b4 it makes handeling worse?

So I just put on some buddy club race-spec coilovers tonight. I am wondering how low I can drop the car b4 I am risking making the handeling worse? Right now it is dropped pretty low, about 1-1.5 finger gap in the rear and you can barely squeez a finger in the front. It was my first time installing coilovers and I got sick of ****ing with the height and left it pretty low. I plan to track the car in the future and I want to setup the suspension properly.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:35 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Too late.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:05 AM

Won't lowering hurt the suspension travel, and therefore handling? Especially with less than a finger width between the tire and the wheel well?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the springs are stiffer to make up for the drop I think it will be ok.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess it depends on the suspension you have .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDAX4AxbiqE

im pretty sure these cars are lower than ours and handle a bit better =)
and are street cars not race cars
Old 07-26-2007, 07:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are just looking for a quick answer, I'm afraid you are not in luck. I think there has really been very little actual testing done to determine this on non-professional level. It's also going to spring rate and course dependant.

Unfortunately for S2000 owners, there is really only one class in SCCA auto-x that the car is competitive. Stock. Some may argue that the car could do well in BSP but that remains to be determined. Now, if there was a street tire class where the S2000 could play, I'm sure people would come up with some set up that works.

I am now in the finishing touches stage of building an STS2 CRX and I did all the testing and development of this car myself with tire temps and many events and a few test and tunes. I raced it for half the year in a poor state of suspension tune. Just lately has the car come together. Anyway, the point of all this is that it's not easy or quick to develope a suspension tune.

I am playing with the idea of developing my S2000 for a fantasy ST class simply for fun and to maybe get a jump on when it does become a reality (fingers crossed). My first step would be a mild drop. Perhaps a 1.5 finger gap at the fender all around. I do like the idea of running a lower rear end than stock to help tame the oversteer.

Just thinking out loud here.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:45 AM

Oh I don't plan to track to be competitive. My friends and a bunch of guys I know from a local import tuning shop all go the the track, just for fun. I have the buddy club racing spec dampers. They are 10kg front and rear springs. Currently have the shocks set to 13 out of 15. The rear end honestly feels more planted than it did before the coilover install. I guess I will just get an alignment and see how it feels myself. I may try to bring the front up about .5" or something...but adjusting the coilovers is a bitch! lol

As a side note....I don't think I have changed the amount of travel much at all to be honest. I adjusted my height from the bottom (where the sleeve threads into the base) I was recommended to do this buy the person I got the coilovers off, instead of adjusting from the top which would then shorten the length of the shock and spring travel.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by fenixv8,Jul 26 2007, 06:31 AM
i guess it depends on the suspension you have .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDAX4AxbiqE

im pretty sure these cars are lower than ours and handle a bit better =)
and are street cars not race cars
That video was sick!
Old 07-26-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like those 10k spring rates. I wonder how good the dampers are. I would imagine the adjustment does compression and rebound at the same time. That's not so good.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by glagola1,Jul 26 2007, 08:06 AM
I like those 10k spring rates. I wonder how good the dampers are. I would imagine the adjustment does compression and rebound at the same time. That's not so good.
Yeah, someday I would like to have some top of the line system...but for now these will do, got them for $600. Can't really beat em for the price I paid.

Quick Reply: How low can we go b4 it makes handeling worse?