S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

How paranoid or confident are you driving in rain?

Old 10-08-2004, 03:45 PM
dut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Oct 8 2004, 03:57 PM
Wildfire that burns right down into the city, what's that?

-Mike (FL has hurricanes but we have an erupting volcano....)
- you mean, dumbasses that start signal fires
Old 10-08-2004, 03:54 PM

I avoid at all costs driving in the rain! I feel very secure in the Silverado!
Old 10-08-2004, 04:18 PM

Stay under VTEC with decent tires and you should have no problem.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well since I hydroplaned into the median last Thursday I have a whole new respect for rainy weather. I was doing about 65mph in the fast lane with no cars in my lane in front of me as far as I could see, my rear tires hydroplaned pointing the front of my car right towards the median. I blame this accident on excessive speeds, worn rear tires and most of all, a lot of standing water in the grooves of the lane (no cars had dispersed the water in my lane causing some pretty deep standing water. Just food for thought.

Ryan B.

P.S. My car was not damaged in any way, I do feel I have an Alignement issue that will hopefully be resolved tomorrow at Mr. Tire.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:20 PM

Rain, Darkness and Low temps make for a dangerous combination. I try to avoid standing water when I can. Also switch off the cruise if I'm on the highway and put my hands back at 3 and 9.

Being able to see helps, I apply RainX every month and after each wet drive.

In the rain, I'm a little more deliberate with braking, steering and throttle. Just a habit that carries over from riding motorcycles in the rain.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Calm & cool

But the watchfull eye is always open
Old 10-08-2004, 08:42 PM

Sold SO2s quickly after I had big scare in heavy down pour.
I have Potenza RE750s. Phenomenal on rain, awesome but not as good as SO2 on dry. But I don't mine the small trade to gain confidence in rain.

Have logged over 10k on RE750s and rear tires still have more than 70% thread left and I can't be happier.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:22 PM

My experience with weather when I had MY01 with S02's:

Cold and humid weather: Very rarely your tires will lose traction for a bit and scare you but nothing big to worry about if you drive like how a sensible driver would drive regular days.

Rain: If you floor it, the car will start wagging the tails but its easily controllable. I had no problems fish-tailing around in rains, but you do have to be more cautious as some floors do get pretty slick in the rain. Here in Wisconsin, probably half the traction is from pebbles and tiny rocks so...

Snow: If you stop on top of snow, you will have trouble trying to get your car moving again. The car will just spin its wheels and stay at the same spot. Very slippery and very hard to control, but if you REALLY need to go out on a snowy day, if you drive really really slow, be extremely cautious, then you won't have much of a problem.

Ice: I slipped on one of these and the car was sent to heaven. Unless the floor is like -100F where the ice would stick your car down, most likely you will have 0 traction, the position you enter the ice, thats how you will come out on the other side of the ice, if you press gas while you're on one, your car will rotate in circles. It is not funny when you are on a public road. I heard that AWD cars with traction/stability control etc are actually manuverable on wet ice but I don't know if that is true.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by motokichi,Oct 8 2004, 08:20 PM
Rain, Darkness and Low temps make for a dangerous combination. I try to avoid standing water when I can. Also switch off the cruise if I'm on the highway and put my hands back at 3 and 9.

Being able to see helps, I apply RainX every month and after each wet drive.

In the rain, I'm a little more deliberate with braking, steering and throttle. Just a habit that carries over from riding motorcycles in the rain.
All of that is very good advice. But since I started track driving, I find I almost never have my hands off 3 and 9 in any circumstance.

One other thing -- it is also very important for other people to see you. Turn on your headlights.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Arashi,Oct 8 2004, 10:22 PM
MSnow: If you stop on top of snow, you will have trouble trying to get your car moving again. The car will just spin its wheels and stay at the same spot. Very slippery and very hard to control, but if you REALLY need to go out on a snowy day, if you drive really really slow, be extremely cautious, then you won't have much of a problem.

Ice: I slipped on one of these and the car was sent to heaven. Unless the floor is like -100F where the ice would stick your car down, most likely you will have 0 traction, the position you enter the ice, thats how you will come out on the other side of the ice, if you press gas while you're on one, your car will rotate in circles. It is not funny when you are on a public road. I heard that AWD cars with traction/stability control etc are actually manuverable on wet ice but I don't know if that is true.
If you have snow tires, snow is very survivable. If you have studded tires (or the new "studless" ice tires, like blizzaks), ice is very survivable. With practice, anyway.

Quick Reply: How paranoid or confident are you driving in rain?