S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I bought a Heavily Modified AP1 Thinking it was Mostly Stock

Old 02-12-2019, 07:02 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Id like to think the S2k community members who sell items or cars here are a notch above a typical Craigslist seller. Many of us here have been here for years, over a decade and care about some integrity. We all know in our hearts whats right and what isn't when we sell goods to other prospecting people in the same community, or anyone for that matter. This isn't some used car lot. I bought a great car from a member here out of state last year, sight unseen, with exception to a thread of pictures and full disclosure. I paid for it over wire transfer and had it loaded on a trailer to make a trip over half way across the country to my door step and have no regrets. That's what I would come to hope and expect from this community. The guy that didn't disclose that this car was boosted to the buyer is lacking in character and integrity, and he is quite frankly stupid as well since he hadn't considered that this information wouldn't be brought to light in a close net community like this one. I hope others who sell on this forum and see this thread take notice.

There is a difference between a few NA bolt ons and being boosted, especially at 500hp+ which will undoubtedly putt added strain, wear and tear on the transmission and the rear end. Never mind if the engine is healthy. 20k miles is a fair bit at that power level. As someone who has been boosted a lot of years and been through a lot of drivetrain parts in that time, I would avoid any car previously boosted if I was aware of it. That's not to say this isn't a good solid car, but undoubtedly added stresses have been made and sped up the drivetrain wear and tear. On the positive, again it is a low mileage car, so that helps offset some of that. Its hard to put exact metrics on something like this since how it was driven plays a big roll in future casting longevity as well, but id say its safe to say you could double the mileage to 130k naturally aspirated. turbos make a lot of trq, and thats what kills transmissions and rear ends on this car. This isnt just some low/mid level supercharger that was on this car.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-12-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 07:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Unfortunitally the S2K community here only represents a tiny fraction of the amount of S2K's that were sold
Old 02-12-2019, 08:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess there's no point of return for you. I would start by looking at what others have mentioned: compression test & leak down numbers.

Looks like the seller had a lot of fun while it was turbo'ed. Drag races with Evo's, Mustangs, CTSV, etc.. He's also selling RPF1's with NT05 tires in 255/40, which suggests a track setup. Given these, I would pay attention to noises from drivetrain. Diff makes any werid whine? Gears shift nicely? Try to change out the oils for both tranny and diff.

I would change out the aftermarket TCT with billman's unit. It was probably another supporting mod for his turbo setup, but you're back to N/A now.

Pay attention to engine oil consumption, early AP1's are famous for that. If the engine had been turbo'ed, I guess that might accelerate the consumption as well.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:11 AM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the price was right at $13k, if you had to redo again you would be paying for $20-$25k for an unmolested one. You have some savings if anything goes wrong with it.
The following users liked this post:
ninetysixyenko (04-20-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:33 PM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
True but it is also one of the options thats is a pain to revert to stock due to swapping over a bunch of sensors. There are also states where Kpro has been having issues passing from what I have read so its not as attractive of an option any more. Still for the price he paid for the car he got a good deal especially if the compression comes back fine.
It is a pain, but if he took it all off, sold it for $1500 he would have a low mileage AP1 with very clean body and interior for $11,500. Even if the motor died, with the cost of a used motor these days for one, he still would have less in the car than it probably normally would sell for in that condition :P Yes its a pain, but all in all it could be worse!

Now, if you care about "all original" then that is different. I find that meaningless, especially on a sports car, but I know some like to baby them and keep them all stock and sitting in a garage more than driven, so your thoughts may vary. Its a drivers car, and as long as it is solid and still running good that should be all that matters. And, knowing you bought it with some mods being listed, it does not sound like you are an "all original-been babied and never really used to its potential" kind of buyer.

Hopefully all tests out well and none of this will really matter and you forget it the first time you hit 9k with the top down in the summer!
Old 02-13-2019, 12:39 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Yup that is true. The issue is if he cannot do the work himself paying to have it done cuts into the money you gain selling the Kpro. A few of those sensors aren't very easy to swap out IIRC.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Honest description or not, that's a steal for that car with a clean title. I picked up a similar year/mileage and wish I found it for that price. Even if the engine blows, the F20 is cheap compared to the $10k-$15k engines in used Porsches, M3s, etc.
Old 02-13-2019, 03:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kvince
Honest description or not, that's a steal for that car with a clean title. I picked up a similar year/mileage and wish I found it for that price. Even if the engine blows, the F20 is cheap compared to the $10k-$15k engines in used Porsches, M3s, etc.
I've seen them online for 3-4 grand
Old 02-13-2019, 04:04 PM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

New York is a required emissions ("smog") test state. I'd have this car tested before spending another minute on it. "Buyer beware" will probably not hold up of the car isn't road legal.

A buddy has a formerly turbo-charged S2000. All sorts of steel was cut out of the engine compartment to make it fit. Just big holes when he got it.

-- Chuck
Old 02-13-2019, 04:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_viper
It sucks that this happened to you. Honestly, $13k for 56k mile S2k even with past turbo kit, is not all that bad IMO.
I completely agree.

Quick Reply: I bought a Heavily Modified AP1 Thinking it was Mostly Stock