S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I conducted an experiment on other drivers with my S2000 and my commuter car

Old 07-30-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

It must be my age(63) but I get way more waves and thumbs up in my wifes S than I do in my truck. I also get a lot of compliments on one of my 5 bikes, though I did get a lot of guys wanting to race my old R6 before I sold it a few years ago. I've had exactly three people(all in the Bay Area) drive up beside me that wanted to race my wifes S and that is in 9 years and over 130k miles.

ROD
Old 07-30-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken1997tl
It makes a huge difference what vehicle you're in!

My CR-Z gets a lot of big trucks tailgating it (even on freeways with me not being in the fast lane) and of course Integras/Civics trying to race me. People never yield on the freeway when I'm in that car during the day and I have to occasionally pass on the right. The 'Bro-dozers' then accelerate to prevent that but my turbo ensures I speed past them At night, totally opposite effect and people seem to yield much more effectively. The S2000, funny enough, gets left alone. I assume it's because of the stock exterior and Suzuka Blue paint. The Accord is completely anonymous which is fine. The 'best' car I ever had for driving was my 2002 Acura RL, people simply got out of the way of it especially on the freeway, even more so than in my MDX.
We purchased a 2012 CR-Z brand new, and I totally understand where you're coming from!

That car has NO guts in Econ mode with the CVT, and it is easily one of the scariest cars I've ever driven on the freeway, outside of an old, stock CRX Hf. We took it to Honda for its first service some years ago, and they did a reflash, which made the car a little stronger, but that original Econ mode would get us close to 50mpg and wasn't able to climb hills. Finally sold it after a few years and bought a 2014 TSX, which was much less frightening, and in Milano red with the DRLs on, people just stay away.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:04 PM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

@VashTheStampede, I love the way you applied the scientific method to this - although it might not Noble worthy.

When I had my 240Z, it felt like I was tailgated quite regularly. But I live in Colorado (land of the pickup truck and ginormous SUV) and I was paranoid that I would get rear ended and the car would be totalled (the early Zs were basically a tin can with a motor). So I can't be sure I was being objective.

My experience with the S2000 isn't much different and I suspect it's because the big SUVs and pickups place the driver relatively high above the road and so it's easy for them to ignore the little car in front of their bumper and just look over it. Perhaps you can design your next experiment to test this hypothesis?
Old 07-31-2018, 05:24 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by VashTheStampede

My Subaru smells like Pee! Is that close?
LOL!! Yes - exactly. The wee wee car.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

I almost never get anyone being aggressive in a wanna race sort of way. But I get plenty of what I assume is jealous aggression. People acting aggressive because they see someone having fun, top down, nice car.

Two things seem to set off that aggression more than anything.

1. If the other vehicle is a pickup truck, and occupied by driver only, or driver and bro crew (the level aggression is roughly proportional to the height of its lift, and/or its level of bling)

The effect is also amplified of there is a female passenger in the S.

Definitely a nice truck, sorry about your penis kind of moment.

2. Its chilly, and my top is down. The effect is worse if its also after dark.

For some reason this seems to really enrage certain people. I mean like seriously demented over the top road rage type stuff. These seem to be mostly middle aged loser types (balding, overweight, driving a pos).

I also get the excessive tailgating, which I attribute to other drivers judging distance by how big the object in their view is. I used to see this riding my motorcycle when people would pull out in front of me not realizing how close I was. Then they'd accuse me of excessive speed as the only explanation of how I was suddenly so close to them. A scary percentage of people judge distance this way.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too many words and not enough charted data

joking, I do notice more people like to show their arse when I'm driving the S2K. Mostly engine revving by other honda owners that cut off their mufflers. At least that's what it sounds like.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:05 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Drive a P car or similar and see how all the boy racers react around you!
Even compared to the S2000, I am shocked how I am treated on the roads in my Boxster. Drivers pull out directly in front of me from side streets and parking lots, or change lanes under braking 1/2-carlengths in front of me -- they apparently the presume I'd do any amount of braking to protect my car, so they'd get away with it. Of course, this is near Washington, DC, where the motto "All about me, I couldn't care less about you" won't fit on the license plate, but it's assumed to be there.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

I believe there may also be a certain amount of 'go ahead, hit me, I could use the money' when they see you coming in the P car...