S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

i need a quote guys. please help

Old 03-31-2011, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i need a quote guys. please help

okay well my heart is broken guys. it was super wet out last night from tons of rain and while switching lanes (i wasnt speeding), i went over a small groove that i couldnt see and started to hydroplane and i couldnt regain control. i ended up spinning out right into a telephone poll last night and im affraid she might be totaled out (crying). it hasnt been estimated yet, but if she is totaled, how much money do you think i will get from my insurance company? i do have full coverage by the way. if you have ever experienced this or have any knowledge of what to expect, please fill me in. i cant live without an s2000. she is a 2005 ap2 silverstone in excellent condition by my standards with 65500 miles. probably good condition according to kelly blue book standards if not excellent condition. i paid 17500 from a dealer 6 months ago with 59500 miles so i was hoping i would see close to the same amount back if she is totaled. im affraid that if it is repairable, she wont be the same anymore. i have also invested about 3.5k into this car so i would like to recieve a reasonable check. what do you guys think?
Old 04-01-2011, 12:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

call you insurance agent, there's no way we can give you anything accurate without knowing alot of your information(which you don't want to share over the internet)

give the guy a call, you paid for his commission and it's time to use it.

if your car is wrapped around a pole, i am not sure even if i want that back.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just want to know is how much money you would expect to see from a totaled ap2 in the same condition as my ap2. its not wrapped but the damage is pretty serious in the driver door and quarter panel area. but yeah, idk if i want it back because im affraid it wont be the same anymore.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the rear quarter is smashed, chances are that the car will be totalled.

repairing a rear quarter is pretty involved...de-welding and welding.

If the airbags went off or a door won't open right, that's another item that will make the estimate lean toward a total.

But...we can't see the car, and the total-call will depend on the repair estimate. The total/not decision will be made by your insurance company...your own preference has no part whatsoever.

If it IS totaled, what you get back is going to largely depend on your insurance company. A company like USAA will give you a VERY fair price. Cash Register or "The General", probably a pretty bad one You really don't have much recourse if they do low-ball you, though. They'll pay according to their terms and conditions, which you pretty much agreed to when you bought insurance. Hopefully, you'll get back enough to pay a loan (if you have one). If not, some of the better car lenders have automatic gap insurance at no cost, but with others it's extra.

I've had 2 S2000's totalled (caused by others), and each time the person-at-faults insurance low-balled...like NADA black book trade-in low-balled. USAA subrogated it and I got back within spitting distance of KBB retail each time...one of them I even got paid extra for my exhaust and the Honda body kit items that were on it.

I know some companies have a policy that if the airbags went off and one or more doors won't open right, it's an automatic total. It really varies from company to company, though.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whether you want it back or not doesn't matter very much.

Shop labor rates to fix it vary in different parts of the country, as does the resale price. The insurance company will use those numbers to determine whether to fix or total it. What people expect in other parts of the country doesn't mean anything at all.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The money 3.5k you invested in the car you probably wont be able to get back. you should be able to get pretty much what you paid for the car you just have to stand your ground. they are probably going to low ball you some ridiculously low offer and its up to you to fight for more money. GL
Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

pictures or it never happened....
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From my experience with total outs (or rather, friends/girlfriends that have totaled their car), depending on driving history and insurance company the check usually looks like this:

Fair value of car plus 1-2K minus deductible