S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I need some help BAD. Please read....

Old 08-22-2001, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all I can say is....damn
Old 08-22-2001, 02:35 PM

Another update. As of right now, there is talk of rebuilding the engine. A Honda representative is going to come down to my dealer to see how bad the damage is. The dealer did say "the damage went from the inside out". I rather just have a new engine imported, then have to rebuild mine....
Old 08-22-2001, 02:43 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Somewhere in here is a lesson to be learned........
Old 08-22-2001, 05:05 PM

You don't really have a choice of selecting from either a new engine or a rebuild. Because, if they're kind enough to do it under warranty ... Obviously, there is nothing you can say but just hope they do a good job. A new engine from Honda? In most circumstances ... That is virtually impossible, do you know how much it actually costs to bring in a new engine? At least 50% or close of what a current new car costs. Oh well, I'm sure you can't tell the difference after it's rebuild anyway.
Old 08-22-2001, 07:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
Sorry, I just don't understand ... You should not have let anyone driven the car if they don't have experience with an S2K.

Why? It's not like the S2K is difficult to drive. I've enjoyed sharing the thrill of driving mine w/ my (responsible) friends. They have enough respect not to do anything stupid, and my car is still fine. Remember, we all lacked S2k experience at first!
Old 08-22-2001, 07:58 PM

Chris is right. Why not let someone drive your car? Just because they have never driven the S2000 isn't enough reason to keep them from getting a chance.
I hope your car gets fixed up like new.
Old 08-22-2001, 08:12 PM

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
...A new engine from Honda? In most circumstances ... That is virtually impossible, do you know how much it actually costs to bring in a new engine? At least 50% or close of what a current new car costs. Oh well, I'm sure you can't tell the difference after it's rebuild anyway.
You can not buy a long block from honda.
They sell them in pieces.

A head assembly will cost you: $2,844.80
and a Short block assembly will cost you: $2,692.40

and the gasket kit will only cost you $183.90

so $5,721.10 for the engine.
Old 08-22-2001, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the support everyone. Will report back later in the week.
Old 08-22-2001, 09:19 PM

I'm sorry it happened to you CrazyRay! I would never wish this to happen to ANY s2000 owner, no matter what!

I dunno about the whole "letting your friend drive the car" but I've been in your situation where I felt too sick to drive, so I let a friend drive me home...I'm behind you in your decision to have your friend drive you home...as I'm sure he feels guilt in blowing up your engine.

I wish the best of luck to ya man, and hopefully you'll be back on the road in no time!
Old 08-22-2001, 09:25 PM

Well, it's just an individual idea ... Some don't mind sharing their cars and some specifically do. I happen to be one that doesn't like anyone behind the wheel of my car. When problems happen, all you can say is ... "Damn, should've not done this, should've not done that." To me, it's just too late. Better to prevent anything like this from happening than contemplate what to do later. Sometimes, being selfish at certain things are quite understandable. It's just how one sees it.

As for the price of replacing the engine, thanks for the specific price information there. As I have not had the experience to go through such a situation ... I can barely comment about pricing or anything as such. Other than which, I'm sure it's much appreciated that anyone can be interested to shell out another $5K or so if you accidentally have your engine screwed up whether or not if it's your fault or someone else's to blame.

Quick Reply: I need some help BAD. Please read....