S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

I need some opinions! : )

Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get an AP2. They still have the fun of an AP1, except a slightly lower redline, which is good because power is lost after 8,000 rpm. As for traction, AP2's have VSA now, and to be honest I just had a really bad storm the other day with the streets almost being flooded. I did not slip once. The only time I ALMOST spun though was downshifting around a corner. Traction would be lost with almost every car if you were to do that around a turn though.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently put some AP2 wheels on my AP1 and it handles much better, oversteer decreased alot even in the rain.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:41 AM

yeah VSA is great.turn it off and it feels more like an ap1 although obviously not quite. However when you need it ..its there
Old 07-11-2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by sdsS2k,Jul 11 2008, 04:47 AM
Ok, so ive been in the market for an s2000 for awhile now!!..and after i rode in my friends s ...it was love!! : )

the real question is ap1 or ap2? i love the 9000 for ap1!! but i herd they are extremely tail happy or spin out alot

so people with ap1's... how hard do you really have to be pushing the car for it to spin out?? aside from that.. what are your thoughts on either car ap1 or ap2! the most difficult decision of my life!!!

i need help pleeease. thank you!!!!!
The heart of your question seems to be, "how hard do you really have to be pushing the car for it to spin out??" I'm surprised that the answer to that isn't obvious. The car won't spin until you demand more grip from the tires than they can deliver, so under normal conditions, you have to be driving the car VERY HARD to spin. At the speed where the AP1 spins, 99.99% of the rest of the cars in the world have already slid off the road and crashed. On dry pavement with good tires you either have to execcd 0.9 G's, or you have to do something stupid.

Generally spins happen because somebody did something stupid. Cold tires, worn out tires on a wet road, piss poor driving skills (jerky control inputs) ... They'll all get you into trouble with an AP1. That's why Honda toned the car down a little with the later cars; The AP1's are just too much car, and the S02's are just too much tire, for "average" owners.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:35 PM

hahah thank you soo much everybody! now its even harder choice between ap1 and ap2! i think im going to go ap2... but i still love the tach on the ap1 way better.. i like the design. its not possible to switch an ap2 tach with an ap1 tach right?? even know the red line is diffent!? : ) that would be awesome!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:56 PM

Not gonna lie... It does like to spin a bit but I do enjoy it a bit when wanting to show off ;-). Either way I recently drove the Ap2 and I like it a lot. I'd say go with the Ap2 lower miles newer and just all around a great car. Either way you go you'll be happy. As far as the cluster goes you could just get the European one theres still go to the 9k.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by PeanutButter,Jul 11 2008, 06:56 AM
Wrong

prove me wrong. from all the dynos I've seen of a stock or near stock AP1 the power tappers off early 8000rpm.

these are just a couple of random dynos on s2ki...

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=S...dpost&p=9287322

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=S...dpost&p=8369788

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?act=S...dpost&p=9282428
Old 07-11-2008, 06:38 PM

Fast Kx is correct. Potenza 's are a great tire but when half the tread is gone and in the rain the car is unpredicatble. I got a set of Toyo Proxes. Yes it's an all season tire but does have adequate handling. It's not close to the Potenzas in handling but in the rain or slippery surfaces I'M SAFE AND MENTALLY SECURE. Mine has been a daily driver since I got it; in good and bad weather. I wouldn't have another car. The safety is an issue because the S02's just go in rain/slick surface without you acting the fool in any way.
I take my daughter to school in it every day so I want safety and a cool ride.
Four years ago, I was making a left turn on a wet street after rain and the car just suddenly lost traction and slid into the next lane. The tires nor the chassis gave me any warning at all. Luckily no one was in that lane. No VTECING; just normal acceleration and turning. Once the Toyos got put on the front and back - no more Mr Nervous for me. My baby is solid in bad weather. I can safely drive at good speed in a rain storm with semis etc. For me, I'll take the safety over the handling - I want to see my daughter grow up.
The car was obviously designed to be driven at performance in good weather, but with all season tires - while hurting the performance - shows that the car can be an all year trooper.
later,
cruise with attitude but think safety also:
Old 07-11-2008, 11:00 PM

I couldnt afford an AP2, haha, so i have an AP1, first rear wheel drive car. As long as you are not jerky through corners, and keep smooth throttle, you will be fine. If you do slide you should be okay if you counter steer and keep the throttle on. Its kinda fun on safe right hand corners or coming out of empty parking lots! I still know i'm going to hit a curb soon.. Find a empty parking lot to feel it out perhaps, or a Dry lake bed if you life in southern california. Insurance is your friend!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:52 AM

Ive only had mine for about 8 months. Driven in snow and rain on the mountain never spun out. Its just like any ohter RWD car if you push beyond your limits as a driver you will make mistakes.

Quick Reply: I need some opinions! : )