S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Interest in powder coating valve and spark plug covers?

Old 12-07-2001, 08:22 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've acquired an extra set of valve and plug covers to have them powder coated in a red to match the AEM intake and to then install on my car. The spark plug cover will be powder coated in a black metal flake sparkle and the VTEC/Honda logo highly polished. The factory powder coating has already been burned off and I should have photos of the newly powder-coated covers next week.

Since I now have an extra set of covers, we
Old 12-07-2001, 10:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've always wanted to chrome the valve cover since I saw the 5zigen car in HyperRev. I'm interested
Old 12-07-2001, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am definitely interested. I wanted to get my spark plug cover powdercoated yellow to match my car.
Old 12-07-2001, 06:58 PM

i don't want to stop with the valve cover, i want to powder coat my whole car, inside and out..................................
Old 12-08-2001, 03:54 AM

I am interested in this Rick.
For plug cover same as your choice and for the valve cover, silverstone or just silver.
But since I have time, I may come up with some different color combo later.
Old 12-08-2001, 03:59 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by spike
i don't want to stop with the valve cover, i want to powder coat my whole car, inside and out..................................
Rubbin' out that Zaino will be a b!tch!!!
Old 12-08-2001, 04:24 AM
Former Sponsor

I expect to have the valve and spark plug covers completed this week, so I'll be posting photos. I got to see them at the powder coaters yesterday, after the stock finish had been burned off and all the residue removed (they were put in a 500 - 600 degree oven overnight than blasted with plastic beads to remove all the remaining burned paint).

These two parts are beautifully made by Honda, and the powder coater was impressed that they were not in any way damaged by a night in the oven (he told me that many other parts do not survive that experience without warping or melting). Then the guy who manages the powder coating place gave me the nicest surprise of all when I asked him what all of this was going to cost. He said, "You took the risk of letting me put those parts in the oven when they might have been destroyed, and because I'm a gambling man and you indicated there might be more business out of all of this, I'm going to do this for free." Made my day -- the kind of people you want to do business with.

If you've ever taken these covers off and inspected them, you might have noticed that certain areas, mainly mounting points, are not painted. All of these have to be carefully masked with special high-temp tape before the powder coating is applied and they go back into the oven.

If this works ok, I'm going to take all of the decorative RM aluminum billet engine peices I have and powder coat them in a beautiful translucent black chrome I saw at the shop. I like the chrome look but I like this black chrome even more.
Old 12-08-2001, 08:28 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any ballpark figures on what you're going to charge for this?

Thanks Rick....
Old 12-08-2001, 09:49 AM
Former Sponsor

I won't know price until next week.
Old 12-08-2001, 04:34 PM

Show us some pictures Rick, it sounds good on the exchange program ...

Quick Reply: Interest in powder coating valve and spark plug covers?