S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lessons learnt the hard way

Old 07-21-2014, 08:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sitting down for lunch... you know, looking at it... there's a lot of oil mess all around the vtec... dry more so everywhere else wise...

this car had been roughly 1/2 qt 500 miles.. pretty much as any ap1 i'd heard of...

I had setup the car for a trip.. made sure things were tight, had done some work recently an checked that, did oil, tires, glass .. so.. i'd say yes.. normally.. can retrace my steps all I want and still have a broke motor an I know I did it.. so...

to me, this is a rebuild thread...

spent the morning gathering information, parts and equipment I don't have.. sounds typical, but I had been working toward a 2 post lift, an this, well.. might be part of this whole build.. discovering I have car friends I didn't know I had.. " saw your car towed, what happen... I broke it.. need a hand... sure..", who knew...

short block is being sourced by my local dealer.. majestic says they can have one in a few days..

I like the warranty... so decided to go that route.. get it done..

Old 07-21-2014, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryuu
sitting down for lunch... you know, looking at it... there's a lot of oil mess all around the vtec... dry more so everywhere else wise...

this car had been roughly 1/2 qt 500 miles.. pretty much as any ap1 i'd heard of...

I had setup the car for a trip.. made sure things were tight, had done some work recently an checked that, did oil, tires, glass .. so.. i'd say yes.. normally.. can retrace my steps all I want and still have a broke motor an I know I did it.. so...

to me, this is a rebuild thread...

spent the morning gathering information, parts and equipment I don't have.. sounds typical, but I had been working toward a 2 post lift, an this, well.. might be part of this whole build.. discovering I have car friends I didn't know I had.. " saw your car towed, what happen... I broke it.. need a hand... sure..", who knew...

short block is being sourced by my local dealer.. majestic says they can have one in a few days..

I like the warranty... so decided to go that route.. get it done..
Don't you have to have the engine installed by a certified Honda mechanic in order for the warranty to apply...?
Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 AM

if you read the warranty paper, if Honda does the work, it's 12 month or 12,000 miles.. part and labor, respectfully.. if you merely buy the part from them it's only 12 months.. no mention of how many miles...

http://www.hondaauto...com/warrant.htm there's the copy from their website...
Old 07-21-2014, 09:52 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Glad I've got a good one. 11 years of autocross abuse and mine goes through less than a quart in 6K miles.

Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you read the warranty paper, if Honda does the work, it's 12 month or 12,000 miles.. part and labor, respectfully.. if you merely buy the part from them it's only 12 months.. no mention of how many miles...

http://www.hondaauto...com/warrant.htm there's the copy from their website...
LOL. I daily drive mine, so a 12 month warranty is *better* than 12 months or 12000 miles.

Good luck to the OP with the repair.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:28 AM

thanks Mark... Grub... starting to piece together.. dealer has a short block @ 2300 +... I was thinking more like 2900..

so i'm already looking at.. well, what else could I restore or, get into.. I bought this, 5th owner, it was fairly used interior wise.. i'm thinking new carpet... and.. never have liked the amp and subwoofer.. I see an entire car coming apart... strange things happen when you stay at a Holiday Inn Express

Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 1,561 Likes on 927 Posts

thanks Mark... Grub... starting to piece together.. dealer has a short block @ 2300 +... I was thinking more like 2900..

so i'm already looking at.. well, what else could I restore or, get into.. I bought this, 5th owner, it was fairly used interior wise.. i'm thinking new carpet... and.. never have liked the amp and subwoofer.. I see an entire car coming apart... strange things happen when you stay at a Holiday Inn Express
Its funny but I have been toying with the idea of getting a short block from Honda and keeping it in case I ever need it. If I don't use it in the years to come, I am sure I could sell it, perhaps at a profit. A brand new Honda OEM short block is $2700 from my dealer. Your dealer price is less than mine and I know my dealer parts guy; he is coming down in price for me. Billman indicated in a post the AP1s are no longer offered so its a matter of time before the supply dries up of AP2s. Someone in the future is going to want one.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:32 PM

I read all Billman's stuff.. bout one of the best sources the club has..

the 2300+ is an AP1 F20C short block

they are going to be able to do the F22C at about the same as your dealership, 2700+.. still not the 2900 I was considering.. but I know there will be more parts an pieces that i'll be replacing...

Old 07-21-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought all f20c's are discontinued from majistic Honda?
Old 07-22-2014, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been wondering this the whole time: since the F20 was offered until 09 EDM, shouldn't it still be avail in that market?? I can't see Honda forcing a refit of the F22 on all those customers...

Quick Reply: Lessons learnt the hard way