S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Let engine cool before shutting off?

Old 04-11-2001, 12:40 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the engine need to be cooled down or let idle before shutting off after a hard drive? Does this benefit or even harm the engine any? I know for turbo vehicles, it's good to let the turbo cool down before shutting the engine off, that's why they have turbo timers. But is it necessary to let the engine idle a minute for N/A cars?
Old 04-11-2001, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's necessary to do any such thing with the Stook.
Old 04-11-2001, 04:27 AM

Letting a turbo car idle for a minute or so is recommended to prevent oil 'coking'. This happends when a turbo is spinning very fast, and the oil circulation is stopped (turning off the engine). The bearings heat up and basically boil the oil in the turbo, forming a residue. For a normally aspirated car, this is not necesaary. However, if the engine has been run hard and the cooling fans are running, I wait until the fans cycle off in both my cars and motorcycle before turning off the engine.
Old 04-11-2001, 01:51 PM

My installer said I wouldn't need to worry about cooling down with my supercharger, until he saw it, that is. After it was installed he told me, "You might want to look into getting a turbo timer...this thing is pushing some major air into your engine." I thought it was funny that he had to retract his statement.
But no, stock S2000 doesn't need to cool down.

Wesmaster
Old 04-11-2001, 05:13 PM

I have owned turbos in the past and as everyone mentioned, cooling off is the right thing to do for the oil. However, I feel funny just turning off the engine on the S. I wait a minute or less and shut her off. As others said, probably not necessary just a habit I guess on my part.
Old 04-11-2001, 05:16 PM

With a turbo the turbo charger continues to spin after the engine is shut off. With a supercharger it does not. You really don't need to idle a supercharged car before shutting it off.
Old 04-11-2001, 06:01 PM

In addition to spinning after the car is shut off, also remember that the turbo itself is gets much hotter sitting in the exhaust stream as it does. The supercharger doesn't see any serious temperatures at all.

Clark
Old 04-11-2001, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by Clark
In addition to spinning after the car is shut off, also remember that the turbo itself is gets much hotter sitting in the exhaust stream as it does. The supercharger doesn't see any serious temperatures at all.

Clark
Well, 1,400 F exhaust temp would be "serious temperatures" from what I hear. That's what I'm getting. Comptech can't confirm that it's not too high, because they haven't measured exhaust temp.

Wesmaster
Old 04-12-2001, 03:12 PM

Wesmaster, what exactly are you talking about? Your exhaust temp may be getting very high, but unlike a turbocharger your supercharger DOES NOT directly involve the exhaust stream.
Old 04-12-2001, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Clark
The supercharger doesn't see any serious temperatures at all.

Clark
I just re-read this. Well, no, the SC doesn't see high temp, but the engine does; so, that's what I'm talking about.

Wesmaster

Quick Reply: Let engine cool before shutting off?