S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Lowering the drivers seat.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

will this work on all ap1&2s?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:30 PM

I believe that the Bulletproof rails keep the seat back in the same position so you don't have to cut up the side of the seat backs to get the proper support.
That is correct. If you're anywhere around 6' in height, this mod will put the lumbar support just a little higher - right where you need it.

$295 is just too much for a seat rail that lowers it 20mm.
I was on the fence for a couple of months until I sat in an S with the BYS rail installed. Difference was crystal clear, and I called Bulletproof the next business day. Try it once, you'll be sold.

Also, take a look at the BYS seat rail install threads. Lots of good info there.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 AM

even for 06+ ?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:41 AM

I'm still on the fence about doing this to our MY07. I'd like to sit a little bit lower for comfort (my legs are close to the steering wheel but not crammed into them) but I'm not sure if I want to try this or get the BYS seat rail...
Old 08-18-2009, 08:42 PM

Read through this twice now...are there any more people that have done this and have been driving around awhile now? There seems to be mixed reviews on the longterm effects of it (good/bad), is it still fairly comfortable?

I wonder if it would make sense to just take 1/2 inch worth of foam out from the seat cushion and only bang the rear pan bolts a 1/2 inch to reach a full inch drop without too much of a pain?
Old 08-19-2009, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by sr240sxt,Aug 18 2009, 11:42 PM
Read through this twice now...are there any more people that have done this and have been driving around awhile now? There seems to be mixed reviews on the longterm effects of it (good/bad), is it still fairly comfortable?

I wonder if it would make sense to just take 1/2 inch worth of foam out from the seat cushion and only bang the rear pan bolts a 1/2 inch to reach a full inch drop without too much of a pain?
I suggest you just take an inch of foam off of the seat and try it before you go banging on the seat pan. That throws the seat rails out fo aligment and then you have a hard time putting the seat back in the car and lining up the holes. As I have mentioned before. modifying the seat pan and even taking foam out of the seat lowers your position on the seatback which i think is uncomfortable. Spend the money for the bullet proof rails if you like the way it feels with a little our of the foam of the chair. You can always put the foam back. Once you mangle the seat pan there is no going back.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did something different which has worked well for me. Rather than beating on the seat pan, I:
--Removed the seat pan and bent the TABS (welded onto the seat rails) down until I had enough drop in the seat. The rear of the pan is now about 1/4" off the carpet.
--SLOTTED one of the tabs (Not both). This allowed me to drop the seat pan back into the rails and have the rear bolts still drop into the 'holes' (one hole, one slot).

I bolted everything together and it works fine. Personally I like the lumbar support being higher (I'm 6'-1" tall), and I intentionally left the front of the seat stock, since I wanted to increase the seat bottom angle to make it feel like I'm sitting more 'in' the seat, and not sliding forward. Did this 2 years ago, and wouldn't go back. Fyi, I've done 4-14 hour runs with this setup with no pain..
The following users liked this post:
rj.baker (09-28-2022)
Old 08-20-2009, 09:52 AM

Wow, that is awesome, do you have any pics of this by chance? Do you need anything special to bend the rail tabs down like a huge clamp or anything like that? What exactly do you mean by slotted?
Old 08-20-2009, 09:55 AM

I dropped my drivers seat using Backyard Specials about 3 months ago. I kick myself for not doing it sooner. It's a crazy simple swap out (seatbelt part was a bit tricky), but the car is SOO much more comfortable for my 6'2" frame now.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by JDR159,Aug 20 2009, 01:45 PM
I did something different which has worked well for me. Rather than beating on the seat pan, I:
--Removed the seat pan and bent the TABS (welded onto the seat rails) down until I had enough drop in the seat. The rear of the pan is now about 1/4" off the carpet.
--SLOTTED one of the tabs (Not both). This allowed me to drop the seat pan back into the rails and have the rear bolts still drop into the 'holes' (one hole, one slot).

I bolted everything together and it works fine. Personally I like the lumbar support being higher (I'm 6'-1" tall), and I intentionally left the front of the seat stock, since I wanted to increase the seat bottom angle to make it feel like I'm sitting more 'in' the seat, and not sliding forward. Did this 2 years ago, and wouldn't go back. Fyi, I've done 4-14 hour runs with this setup with no pain..
you know, I was wondering if you could do this and was thinking of the same exact thing....well, that just made this 100% easier....

thanks for confirming this

Quick Reply: Lowering the drivers seat.