S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Muz 1 piece floor mat mod

Old 04-16-2001, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Muz floor mats, but had trouble with the driver's side moving around on me. I think most of it was caused by the friction of the heel pad against the bottom of my shoes. I bought some 3/8" grommets from Home Depot, and installed one in in the same location as the grommet in the factory mat. It works really well - no more sliding around! The only thing is that I was unable to find black grommets - these were gold. But, a little black model paint and they will look great. I reccomend this to anyone having trouble with their Muz floor mats moving around on them.
Old 04-16-2001, 05:12 AM

I've had the same problem with my driver's side mat; after 50 miles, it's already scrunching up against the dead pedal. I'm going to try using a black rubber grommet instead of a metal one
Old 04-16-2001, 05:28 AM

I posted about this sometime back for the 3 piece mats... works great.
Old 04-16-2001, 05:53 AM

Sticky velcro attached to the top of the cross-bar and the bottom of the ridge on the mat, just in front of the logo, works great, too. I had both sides sliding around a lot, and this fixed it right up.
Old 04-16-2001, 06:00 AM

Hey, maybe Muz could work a new version with a grommet built in?
Old 04-16-2001, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by slaughterj
Hey, maybe Muz could work a new version with a grommet built in?
Here's Muz's response to this question on 4-13-01:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by SilverFog
Would you consider making it an option on your mats, Muz? That is, with or without the OEM mat-post grommet?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep.. if you want it.
Old 04-16-2001, 10:26 AM

Would those who've installed grommets give us some step by step instructions?

Where and what to buy?
Special tools?
How to get the correct location?
Anything else important?

Thanks,

Ted
Old 04-16-2001, 12:30 PM

I can't remember the manufacturer of the grommets, but it comes as a kit - I got it at Home Depot. I bought the 3/8" grommet kit, and it comes with several metal grommets, a punch (to cut the hole), a lower "die" and a drive pin that actually attaches the 2-piece grommets together. The directions are on the package. The hardest part was that the grommets are not meant for something as thick as the floor mats, but you can make it work. When complete, it gives a really clean look, and is much stronger than any rubber grommet. I have bought grommets before at boat supply places (people use them to attach boat covers and tarps). If anyone needs more help, let me know.
Old 04-16-2001, 12:55 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

This is due to the mats being rolled during shipping and the edges curving upward a bit. They will take a few weeks to settle properly. Removing and re-installing them once flat should alleviate this.

Regardless, I have made the driver's side grommet an option (in black) as requested. I was considering a less grippy heel pad but it would mean using cheaper materials which I don't want to do.(I kinda like the decent quality rubber)

[Edited by Muz on 04-16-2001 at 02:14 PM]
Old 04-16-2001, 01:14 PM

Thanks Muz. I have been really happy with the mats - they are first rate. This should take care of any issues that people may have.

Keep up the good work.

Quick Reply: Muz 1 piece floor mat mod