S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

MY 04 delivered damaged

Old 11-07-2003, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MY 04 delivered damaged

I am new to the s2k community as I took delivery of a Rio Pearl last week. I picked up the car late at night after work, and noticed some scratches on the 3rd brake light plastic. The next day when I started to apply Zaino (the original prep was awful) I noted 2 paint chips and about 10 indentations each 3 mm long on the back bumper along with 2 barely perceptible dents on the trunk lid. It appears that in transit something was swinging around and beating the back of my new car.

I called the dealer and brought it by the next day. He has ordered an new brake light lens, and wants me to let him take the car to the local body shop to repair the bumper. I suggested that they get me a new car. I don't want a repainted bumper as I know that the color match on the pearls is very difficult. I had a 2000 Spa Yellow NSX that ended up getting one whole side painted from a tiny ding on one panel (because they couldn't match the color).

Any ideas, suggestions, thoughts? In my mind, repaint is out of the question. The damage is less conspicuous than a bad color match on the entire bumper would be.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Take it back and demand a refund, or let them fix it and demand a discount on top of that. 30+K for a car, it better be perfect!
Old 11-07-2003, 05:29 PM

The only way I'd let them repaint is to get some money back. Otherwise, a repaint is unacceptable.

If they give you a hard time, it's time to call a regional manager.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:09 PM

You paid for a "new" car, not a damaged one. The car had damage that they didn't disclose to you and should have seen when they were preping it. They don't want you to bring it back so they will probably say whatever they have to say in order to keep you driving the car. They'll probably try to play the delay, delay, delay, game (so-and-so won't be in until next Friday, the regional director needs to look at it so come back in three days, we'll try to find another car and give you a call, etc.). I think that you should take it back, give the keys to the general manager, and tell him you want a new car or your money back. If he says no, leave without the car and contact a lawyer. A simple demand letter from a lawyer is often enough to set them straight. If these guys are typical car salesmen then they do not care one bit about doing you wrong. Do whatever you have to in order to make the situation right. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:25 PM

Sorry to hear about this. The dealer is doing you a favor. They do not need to do this since you've already taken delivery of the car. Had you caught it before you took it home, you could have refused delivery and taken a different car. They are not legally obligated at this point to do anything. It is unlikely but entirely possible that someone could damage the car the night they take a car home and then try to get it fixed for free. I'm sure this is not the case for you, but there are people that will try to get away with something like that.

Laws vary from state to state, but here in Hawaii, the damage disclosure is only for a car that has been repaired before delivery. If the damage exceeds a certain dollar amount, (around $1500 here) it must be disclosed to the customer.

I suggest paintless dent removal for the trunk lid to minimize the amount of repainting, and let them try for the bumper. IMO, bumpers never match exactly anyway and it sounds like the damage is greater here. Good luck and it sounds to me like you have a reasonable dealer.
Old 11-07-2003, 06:25 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Bret
If these guys are typical car salesmen then they do not care one bit about doing you wrong.
I am a car salesman....well, an Internet sales manager - same thing. I don't take offense to this statement because I hear it all the time - I make the comments too - there really are some sleazy jerks in this business, but I do not think the car salesman really has any say in what is going on here.

Couple of questions:

What kind of dealer are you working with? Is your Honda dealer reputable - does the community say good things about them? Is this your first time being a customer with this dealer? How large is this dealer - if they sell more than 100 NEW HONDAS a month, then they can be considered a decent size.

I may catch some flames on this statement, but a typical new car dealer is reputable and has a good business sense. If they didn't, the manufacturer would take their franchise away or never have granted it to them in the first place. You should be able to get something worked out here. I don't know if it will be a new car - I doubt that , but the idea about getting some compensation is in order. If it was shipping damage, the dealer should have never acepted that car (even if it shows up at night they can turn it down in the morning), or agreed that Honda was going to go ahead and pay for the damages.

I just had another thought - check your state's laws. In Virginia, if a NEW car has had over 3% of the MSRP in damages, then we have to legally disclose that fact - and list the damages. If you have something similar to this, then take the car to a really really expensive bodyshop for a repair estimate. Go see the General Manager (if decent sized Honda store) or Owner (small dealer) armed with a repair bill that falls into the state's dealer guidelines.

-Man I hate to sell out my fellow dealers, but customer service is paramount.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:10 PM

Poindexter please call me. We need to talk. 636-717-0763. Thanks.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:04 PM

AlmostGotta04, I read in one of your other posts that you are looking for a Spa MY03. Have you checked with Grand Honda in Chicago? I know it's a bit of a drive, but they have some good deals. I'm not sure if they have a Spa, but here is there website.

http://www.grandhonda.com/s2000.shtml
Old 11-08-2003, 04:21 AM

Thanks for all the input. I think this is a reputable dealer. I bought a Jag S-type R from them 4 months ago, and a Odyssey about one year ago, so they know I'm a good customer. When I bought the Jag, they traded with another dealer for the car. After I got it home and detailed it, I saw overspray on one door. I returned to the dealer, they gave me a loaner and immediately located another car for me...no questions asked. These are two seperate shops under the same owners, so I hope that this kind of service translates to both shops. I'll let you know.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:24 AM

If the dealer is reputable, he'll do what ever it takes to make the situation right.

Quick Reply: MY 04 delivered damaged