S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

my '06 trade for an '05?

Old 06-21-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go for it. I didn't want the drive by wire either. But kind of wish i had flash pro. I say do it. But I could never get silverstone, just to damn common for me.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a car that is flashpro capable and has a VSA that can be switched on and off depending on your liking. I would keep it if I were you

If the paint isn't to your liking, just pay 4K to 5K for an awesome paint job (and get a unique silver too maybe?)
Trading vehicles like that will never be to your advantage financially speaking
Old 06-21-2012, 02:02 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Syn
DBW on the S2000 is not sourced from a Civic though. People make a big deal out of something that I would challenge most anyone to discern in a blind test.

I'd miss the Flashpro capabilities, but if you're not into tuning/modding then you're getting a far better color and it sounds like better condition plus a fraction of the miles.
Agreed.

People make a big deal out of something 99.9999% of people can not feel. The DBW system in the S2000 is of the best out there. People who harp on it, are stupid.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by whiteflash
So you're spending more money (multiple thousands), losing features (VSA; which you can turn off), losing body parts (Front/Rear spoiler), and losing a semi-open ecu? Sounds like a smart trade.
I wish the like feature was still around for moments like this. Back to the OP. If you currently had $5,000 in your bank account at will your car wouldn't be riding around on bald tires. Maybe even that soft top would be patched up. Seriously, it sounds like you trashed your 06 now you want to trade it in and trash something else. Go for it, there's an unlimited amount of S2000s.
Old 06-21-2012, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by Syn' timestamp='1340311838' post='21801189
DBW on the S2000 is not sourced from a Civic though. People make a big deal out of something that I would challenge most anyone to discern in a blind test.

I'd miss the Flashpro capabilities, but if you're not into tuning/modding then you're getting a far better color and it sounds like better condition plus a fraction of the miles.
Agreed.

People make a big deal out of something 99.9999% of people can not feel. The DBW system in the S2000 is of the best out there. People who harp on it, are stupid.
I can feel every single little bit of it, You're welcome to call me stupid for harping on it however. DBW in a car like the S2000 even in concept is wrong to me, the car is all about driving and the feel of the road and the feel of the steering and the wind in your hair etc etc etc... I'm not sure what prompted them to completely disconnect the drivers right foot from the car Mechanically. I've put many miles on S2000's AP1 and AP2 and I can tell you the difference just from the feel of the Gas pedal without even starting the car from an 06+ and an 00-05. I DESPISE it, the feel is exactly as I describe it - Disconnected. Thankfully I've got an '05 so I don't have to deal with the stupid DBW and I can come on here and rant about it and be glad it's not in my car.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by Syn' timestamp='1340311838' post='21801189

Agreed.

youve obviously never driven a DBW car at the track....guess im stupid
Old 06-21-2012, 05:43 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have had both an 05 and my current 07--- including several months when I owned both and drove them back to back on the same day and tracked both.

IMO, the DBW system is far superior to the 1905 era cable system in the older cars. Its more responsive and the electronic throttle control eliminates the IAC, air pump, etc and its much smoother.

Nearly every supercar (Ferrari for example) as well as Porshe ( who first went DBW in 2000 on the Boxster and subsequently every other car.) has abandoned the antiquated cable system. I understand folks loyalty to what they're used to but, without change, we'd all still be driving Model T's and not enjoying overhead cams, HID headlights, air conditioning, power windows, etc......( and if you have a 4wd SUV, did you convert the front hubs back to the "get out of the car to turn the knob to engage them" type?).

The VSA is an ideal addition to this car--- it can be turned completely off on the street but why would you? Its set to intervene at a "stupid driver" level which is what you want--- many ( if not most) of the accidents in the other threads could have been avoided by VSA ( the only 06+ car in all those pages was wrecked by a guy who admitted in his first post he turned it off). Most of the "i was just accelerating thru the intersection from a stop and next thing i knew i hit a tree..." and the "it just started fishtailing at 60mph and I hit a guardrail" are exactly the types of things the VSA was designed to help with......hitting unanticipated,low traction surfaces (like gravel on the road) or just doing something stupid (which we all do from time to time) --- just so happens an S2k isnt very forgiving if you happen to be driving it when you do that something stupid....(Nothing about the VSA interferes in any way with the limits of the car's handling--- its designed to intervene when you exceed those limits on the street.). When you're at the track and want to slide thru corners or do some drifting, just hit the button and turn it off. And, by the way, nearly every one of today's supercars has some form of VSA...and they can be turned off just like the S2Ks.

Having said that, your car and $5000 for that 05 is a steal......if you can live without the VSA, go for it--- maybe try a lowball counter offer but even at $5k difference, it'd be tough for me to walk away from.....just be more careful when you're driving it!
Old 06-21-2012, 06:03 PM
fwg

the diff between 05 and 06 is not significant imo. it takes a lot of luck to find an 05 with only 19kmi and especially u like the color. it's not easy to own a car since 05 and only put 19kmi on it. plus 5k is a good deal as is.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:11 PM

I agree with making a counter offer. Even a slight change in the price is a big difference.

Personally, I like the '06 to '07 years. The VSA is a nice addition that still allows you to have a little fun without interfering too much. It will still catch you if you make a small mistake, but it is not there to help you defy the laws of physics.

The DBW system in the '06 years are not as bad as people make it out to be. I do notice a slight difference coming from my '01, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. When I'm driving my car, I honestly don't think to myself, "Wow, it would be nice to have a linkage system right now." The option for FlashPro seals the deal for me.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by calebzimm
Originally Posted by whiteflash' timestamp='1340309886' post='21801099
So you're spending more money (multiple thousands), losing features (VSA; which you can turn off), losing body parts (Front/Rear spoiler), and losing a semi-open ecu? Sounds like a smart trade.
...with substantially lower mileage, better condition in every way, and ditching DBW which is terrible on any car.
What exactly does lower mileage mean? I've seen kids do more damage to their cars in 10,000 miles than I've done in 100,000. Throwing around numbers of miles, doesn't in any way shape or form constitute the actual condition of the car or its mechanical parts. For all we know that clutch has been dumped and the transmission has been miss/skip shifted for 19K miles. At least with his car he knows what damage he's done to it. Are you trying to insinuate that spending $5000 to downgrade a year, and lose 60K miles is somehow a wash? Did you do over $5K in damage to your S in under 75K miles where somehow you think this is a good trade off? Because I haven't spent half of that in 100K miles in both maintenance AND repairs.

And DBW is not terrible in any car. It's not terrible in a 911, it's not terrible in a 599 and it's not terrible in the S. Is it terrible on civics and RSX's? Sure. Too bad they're not the same car. Is there a microscopic difference between the 05 and 06 throttle? Yes. But it's barely noticeable. Neat thing is, I get to fix that ever-so-un-noticeable DBW issue and tune my car for $600 with a flashpro AND keep my car road legal (and get that OMG almost 9K awesomeness). Piggyback EMS's can't make the same claim towards legality in every state nor cheapness.

Don't get me wrong, I'm used to watching people on this forum light their money in fire, so feel free to justify that kind of purchase however you want.

Quick Reply: my '06 trade for an '05?