S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

my '06 trade for an '05?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:09 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Froth.
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1340316127' post='21801384
[quote name='Syn' timestamp='1340311838' post='21801189']
DBW on the S2000 is not sourced from a Civic though. People make a big deal out of something that I would challenge most anyone to discern in a blind test.

I'd miss the Flashpro capabilities, but if you're not into tuning/modding then you're getting a far better color and it sounds like better condition plus a fraction of the miles.
Agreed.

People make a big deal out of something 99.9999% of people can not feel. The DBW system in the S2000 is of the best out there. People who harp on it, are stupid.
I can feel every single little bit of it, You're welcome to call me stupid for harping on it however. DBW in a car like the S2000 even in concept is wrong to me, the car is all about driving and the feel of the road and the feel of the steering and the wind in your hair etc etc etc... I'm not sure what prompted them to completely disconnect the drivers right foot from the car Mechanically. I've put many miles on S2000's AP1 and AP2 and I can tell you the difference just from the feel of the Gas pedal without even starting the car from an 06+ and an 00-05. I DESPISE it, the feel is exactly as I describe it - Disconnected. Thankfully I've got an '05 so I don't have to deal with the stupid DBW and I can come on here and rant about it and be glad it's not in my car.
[/quote]

So you're slower because of it? So lump yourself in the <.01% of people and than ask yourself it makes ANY difference to your life. It's really a wankers debate. DBW or not. I mean common so many other factors to really consider. On the flip side, the guy in the 06 can put out more mid-range power than you, making him faster if he spend a small $500 sum of money to flashpro the ECU. Can we do that? Nope, not cost effectively.

Originally Posted by S2KIrishman
Originally Posted by rob-2' timestamp='1340316127' post='21801384
[quote name='Syn' timestamp='1340311838' post='21801189']
DBW on the S2000 is not sourced from a Civic though. People make a big deal out of something that I would challenge most anyone to discern in a blind test.

I'd miss the Flashpro capabilities, but if you're not into tuning/modding then you're getting a far better color and it sounds like better condition plus a fraction of the miles.
Agreed.

People make a big deal out of something 99.9999% of people can not feel. The DBW system in the S2000 is of the best out there. People who harp on it, are stupid.

youve obviously never driven a DBW car at the track....guess im stupid
[/quote]

It's easier if you just start admitting it. I said stupid for harping on it.

If F1 drivers can drive near the limits of friction with DBW systems and you think non-dbw systems are so much better, go become a professional race car driver, you're clearly God's gift to racing. Otherwise this debate is lumped into the same stupidiness as which color of car is faster.

I drive my 04 on the track, even with my fastest lap times I make no bones about being fast. I do this for fun. I got a deal on the 04, but for the same money I would have bought the 06 and flashpro'd it. I've driven a handful of DWB cars, but none of them at the track. The OP never said he wanted a track car. If he wanted a track car the ONLY year to get is the 2000.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whiteflash
Is it terrible on civics and RSX's? Sure. Too bad they're not the same car. Is there a microscopic difference between the 05 and 06 throttle? Yes. But it's barely noticeable. Neat thing is, I get to fix that ever-so-un-noticeable DBW issue and tune my car for $600 with a flashpro AND keep my car road legal (and get that OMG almost 9K awesomeness). Piggyback EMS's can't make the same claim towards legality in every state nor cheapness.
For what it's worth I get it, but to me it's a feel thing. Also, they never made the RSX with DBW, from 02-06 they were cable. My wife drives one every day and I service it so I made sure when it was bought there was no DBW shenanigans going on under there.

Also, I'd much rather have K-pro over Flashpro/AEM/Haltech so the '05 suits me perfectly, I'm fine with the increased price and more work required. K-pro will pass emissions with no issue.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LagunaBlu2k
Originally Posted by whiteflash' timestamp='1340309886' post='21801099
So you're spending more money (multiple thousands), losing features (VSA; which you can turn off), losing body parts (Front/Rear spoiler), and losing a semi-open ecu? Sounds like a smart trade.
I wish the like feature was still around for moments like this. Back to the OP. If you currently had $5,000 in your bank account at will your car wouldn't be riding around on bald tires. Maybe even that soft top would be patched up. Seriously, it sounds like you trashed your 06 now you want to trade it in and trash something else. Go for it, there's an unlimited amount of S2000s.
Sir..or young lady..I have a very healthy checking account thank you!

My '06 is not trashed by any means...my car looks like "liquid candy"..there are only
a few small blemishes on the front...not unlike the '05 with 19k miles has a bump
or two on the front as well.
My top does have a small 2"x1/8" slit..which has been patched..my tires?...well they
are down to about 1/2" of tread..still tread but going bad quick..the reason I haven't
tapped into my healthy lol checking account is 'cause I'm not sure about my car's
future..in fact I was going to trade my wheels with a guy for his AP1's..I don't
like the V2's..just a bit too busy for me!
The maintanence is always up-to-date...I change all the fluids like clock work...
but my seats have developed some tears so If I've failed it's in this area..
once again if I keep the car I want to get my hands on as much "red" interior bits as possible..
I thik the red interior with the Rio Yellow will be awesome..of course my gf mentioned
under her breath...umm...McDonalds!
I do agree with Whiteflash...what's the big deal about miles..the dealership keeps
pushing that fact..unless I'm just buying the car to sell someday I don't wont to
be concerned with miles.
And they won't budge from $5K..I've tried.
They won't even let me drive the car until a deal is done..of course my thinking
is to take $3K OF THE $5k and install GC coilovers/CR swaybars..puddymod 4.44 gears..
maybe brand new light/lens covers along with trading for AP1 wheels/getting new seats
and once again changing all fluids.
I will have the security of VSA not to mention a car that will not only outhandle
the '05 but will absolutely smoke it from stoplight to stoplight and maybe even
see John someday at LHT for a Hondata install/dyno tune!
But I do LIKE the silver...I've been stopped by polizia 3 times in my Rio Yellow..
for a supposed seat belt infraction..of course as you all know you HAVE to
wear your seatbelt in this car to get it to shut the heck up
Old 06-22-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Froth.
DBW in a car like the S2000 even in concept is wrong to me, the car is all about driving and the feel of the road and the feel of the steering and the wind in your hair etc etc etc... I'm not sure what prompted them to completely disconnect the drivers right foot from the car Mechanically. I've put many miles on S2000's AP1 and AP2 and I can tell you the difference just from the feel of the Gas pedal without even starting the car from an 06+ and an 00-05. I DESPISE it, the feel is exactly as I describe it - Disconnected.

You can't complain about DBW being disconnected when the steering feedback is god awful. If DBW takes away throttle feel, then EPS takes away steering feel, which the S2000 lacks.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like DBW and VSA. I also put a hardtop on my car. Fugg the wind in my hair. I don't bother the VSA button, it stays on and so does my hardtop 24/7/365.
Old 06-23-2012, 08:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzin hornet
My top does have a small 2"x1/8" slit..which has been patched..my tires?...well they
are down to about 1/2" of tread..still tread but going bad quick..the reason I haven't
tapped into my healthy lol checking account is 'cause I'm not sure about my car's
future..in fact I was going to trade my wheels with a guy for his AP1's..I don't
like the V2's..just a bit too busy for me!...

Did you mean 1/2 of their original tread?
Potenza RE050 rear tires only come with 10/32" tread. Even my all season tires only come with 10.5/32" tread.