S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My engine BLEW OFF today!!

Old 08-26-2003, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea what were the noises - they were metallic definitely, imagine a mechanical clock and suddendly the wheels getoff the axis and runble into each other. It was sound that I never heard before, but when I did I knew. Oil plug was definitely in, I was not loosing oil or what, I park in the garage, I mean my JL guys are not stupid even if you think otherwise. Plus I run like 800 miles from the last change.

The latest theory says that one of the piston rods made it through the engine block but I will have the confirmation tomorrow.

The strange thing is it happened just when I was changin from 1. to 2. and still it shows rather engine issue then tranny. I thought the tranny blew off originally, but then I saw the oil and also the controls were on all over...

The oil was in the engine compartment, in the front part of the engine uder the belts, it seems to me like camshaft ball bearing would say good bye.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:18 AM

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally posted by r2d2
They can claim whatever they want, the evidence is on my side. To be clear - the new engine is ok with me (I still love my car:-), the rebuild is out of question.
I suspect you don't really have a choice in the matter; Honda can do what they want in repairing the engine if they decide to cover it under warranty. If, on the other hand, they claim owner abuse or some other reason for the failure, then you can do whatever you like as you will be paying for the repair.

Regardless, I wish you luck, and keep us all up to date on your situation...
Old 08-27-2003, 12:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hope Honda doesnt try to f*ck you on this one. Believe me, they are gonna try to come up with something.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:53 AM

I discussed this matter with a friend of mine who said a piston rod made it twice through the block in his Evo (he is in Europe). All the symptoms point to this...

Wish me luck, I am leaving to Honda dealership.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:57 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Good luck. I hope you don't have the problems Airsport had: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=136206
Old 08-27-2003, 07:41 AM
Banned

sounds like his motor blew the same way airsports did however, oil on the floor can only mean jiffy lube screwed up the oil change, or a rod went out the side of the block...... also.... r2d2 is your engine one with the new oil jet bolts or the old oil jet bolts? just curious......
Old 08-27-2003, 08:10 AM

As a general rule, if it came apart down low you have a good case for warranty.

If there is damage up high in the valves, you are going to have a harder time.

Just a suggestion.....stay the hell away from jiffy lube. I really doubt they carry the washer that should be replaced, nor do they have a clue the torque value on the bolt.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:11 AM

This kind of thing scares the hell out of me. Does the car have any mods? If this is all there is to the story, then it sounds to me like the car was being used in a normal way - not abusing it, not overreving, no mis-shifts, proper maintenance, proper warmup, etc. I am very curious to hear what Honda decides to do. No matter what, it is going to be a major engine repair - and very expensive. If this is the complete and true story and Honda says they won't cover it under warranty - I'd contact an attorney ASAP. Catastrohic engine failures are rare in any car, but if there is no owner abuse then the warranty should clearly apply. This also provides more of an incentive to let Honda do all maintenance work - including oil changes. If I change my own oil, and one day the engine explodes, it would be much easier for Honda to claim improper owner maintenance and deny the warranty.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:23 AM
Banned

what we need to find out, is if it had the old oil jet bolts (just for barrys research not that we have any facts) and what the diagnosis is...... it sounds like one of two things, either a thrown rod out the side of the block which caused the oil to come out, or a loose drain plug that loosened in that instant and caused oil to get onto the exhaust and cause the smell and then spin a rod bearing.... when was the last time before driving the car that the oil was checked? and also..... it doesnt have to be over-revved on that instant to break, if it was EVER over-revved it may be fine for then but set it up for premature failure later, sorry I dont mean to sound like Honda lol....
Old 08-27-2003, 09:07 AM

R2D2

Did you check your oil at any time since your last change?

What exactly is your approach to routine maintenance?

Quick Reply: My engine BLEW OFF today!!