S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My engine BLEW OFF today!!

Old 08-27-2003, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well man, you need to do the same thing I did, and lick your wounds and take what you can get. You cannot ask for an 03 model because that would mean that the honda bank you have the lease with would get stuck with your car (which the lease part of honda is not responsible for damage), and then buy another car, and give you that. So they'd lose a shitload. Not happening. Also, if they agree to rebuild the motor, there are no honda rebuilt motors for the s2000, its either new, or nothing. All they could do is work on YOUR motor, if they werent going to give you new.

You definately need to make sure its warrantied before you start getting stern about things. You need to make sure that they are going to pay for it first, then you work on them. But you have a lease, you can ask that they make the payments or whatever. It was different in my situation because the dealer did the wrong doing on my motor, and thats why they were responsible for this. In your case, your bringing it to a dealer who didnt do anything wrong, so that dealer is definately not making your payments. Your going to have to settle for a warranty thats about it. You'll be lucky if you get that! They were real assholes to me.. GOOD luck though, I hope everything works out!
Old 08-27-2003, 09:23 AM
Banned

let us know when you finally get the diagnosis on what it is/caused it, were probably all curious to hear....
Old 08-27-2003, 10:15 AM

Good luck to you. It sounds like abuse to me, although I do the very same thing daily. Good luck!
Old 08-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Banned

haha if 8500 was considered abuse then there wouldnt be a reason to have a warranty on an s2k at all....
Old 08-27-2003, 10:54 AM
mas

Good luck!
Old 08-27-2003, 11:26 AM

UT OH........ hope it all turns out well!

is this what we liek to call..... corner!!! hehehe
Old 08-27-2003, 12:17 PM

So I was at the dealership this morning. The guy looked and acted like they would be doing this on a daily basis. He said "all right, the guys will take a look at it and they probably order new short block and if the head would be affected then the head too". They promissed to try to look at it today even they were busy just because it's s2k and many were wondering like you are.

I left them pictures you saw for their guesstimations and also for Honda if they would need to.

It does not seem to me that the lost drain plug would be a case - the oil spill started exactly at the place the engine blew off. If the plug would be the case I would make few hundred feet before the engine would blow.

Now I recall the event like crystal clear metal sound like the metal breaks or so and then the silence all of the sudden. Strange thing was that it happen exactly between the gears, like tranny would blow off. But I was able to shift gears easily with the clutch depressed afterwards. Plus that oil spill in the fron part of the engine...

As to questions what and how I took care of my car:

- never raced
- bone stock with the exceptions of springs (Eibach), wheels and sound
- never overreved, I am quite good driver. When downshifting I always do through neutral and press the gas - you know the drill...
- I hit rev limiter quite a few times on other occasions on the way from the bottom up but hey, that's why the rev limiter is there. Again - I never hit max on dowshift and never missed a gear.

I will keep you posted, I hope to have some pics if they would let me.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:43 PM

I'm confused.

In one post you say the drain plug was in.

Now you seem to be saying it is missing.

If it's the latter your beef is with those wonderful ex-convicts working at Jiffy Lube, and should not be a warranty with Honda.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:48 PM

Damn man... I've taken my '02 Sebring Silver baby on the track 3 times already. Spun out quite a few times. Hit the rev limiter for who knows how many times even when I'm off the race track. I even go to Jiffy Lube for oil change and I only do them every 5000 miles.

Currently at 18k miles. Hope my engine won't blow anytime soon.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Banned

haha sjsharks has a good point.... but what I think he is trying to say is that the plug was in and if it wasnt then it would have spilled further..... what about the filter, did they change that? it could be something with the filter also..... and you never replied to if it had the old oil jet bolts or the new ones....

Quick Reply: My engine BLEW OFF today!!