S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

My first time...

Old 10-30-2001, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first time...

I finally got to drive the S2000. "Exhilirating" has a whole new meaning now.
Last week, I went to the Honda dealership to see the new '02. I got this really young salesman who didn't know much about the S2000 or any other Honda, but he was very cool. After looking around the lot for a 2002 and realizing that they had not received any yet, he offers that I try a 2001. "Let's go!"
We get into this beautiful Yellow one with 240 miles on it. As I am adjusting the seat and mirrors, the young dude tells me he doesn't know how to drive stick and he's only been working there for three days?!? (like too many car salesmen in the Bay Area).
Anyway, we're both pretty nervous, him because I'm probably the 10th customer in his career, me because I was at the special unveiling of the S2000 two years ago and I've waited waaayyy too long to go for a test drive.
So I get on the expressway and keep it under 6K until the first light. First thing I notice is the tranny. I never thought shifts could be so smooth and easy. Being used to the long clutch on my Acura, I was pressing way too hard on it for nothing.
Second thing I notice is that all my worries about the car having no power at low RPMs are gone. As I am about to find out, it just has a *lot* more above 6000.
The light goes green and I decide to take into VTEC-land. We're both surprised by the kick we get when VTEC turns on. After three upshifts worthy of a race car driver, we're going 85mph and other cars look like they're going backwards. My inexperienced passenger is quite freaked out by the power of the car: "It's only the second time I ride in this car, the first guy never drove it like you do." I turn around at a traffic light, go at it again until we get close to the dealership. Right before making a turn into the lot, I tell him that I must try it on the highway. He replies "No problem, I'm having a blast". As I get on the ramp, I just want to be amazed again. After a painful neck-twisting look at my dead spot, I nearly floor it and the first thing I know, my salesman is shouting "Wooohoooo!" and the digital speedometer now shows three digits (in miles per hour). When we finally get back to the dealership, I reluctantly get out of the car and start to feel the fatigue from all the excitement. I have never had so much fun driving a car.
He told me to come back so that I could try it with the top down... and I will.

Now, a couple of questions for the lucky owners.
1. Wind noise was very high, even at 35-40 mph. I thought that the roof was not fastened properly, which could have had serious consequences I guess? It felt like wind was coming in somewhere.
2. How safe is the S2000 in the unlikely event of a rollover? A guy at work who owned a Volvo C70 had a serious accident with rollover, and despite all the safety features of the Volvo, he suffered serious head injuries. Do the things behind the seats come up in an accident?

I am planning to change my car next spring. It's gonna be a long wait. On the other hand, it might just enough time for me to convince my girlfriend I need this car...
In my cube at work, I put up a color printout of the S2000 on one wall, and on the other, I have a Windows XP poster that says in big white letters: "Yes you can." You can understand why I think it's gonna be a long winter...
Old 10-30-2001, 02:10 PM

Good story, I was right there with ya! God, I hope you can stand the wait.....
Old 10-30-2001, 02:23 PM

I have a 2001 Yellow and I don't get the wind noise or feel that you are talking about. Maybe you're right and the top wasn't completely latched. As far as the safety in a roll over, my guess is the roll bars may help a little and the windshield frame is supposedly designed to help in roll overs as well. I don't know how tall you are,but if you were to draw a line from the top of the winshield frame to the tops of the roll bars, you might see that your head would protrude a little higher than that line. However, I would say don't drive it in a manner that would promote a roll over.
Other than that, This is the closest thing to an actual race care I'VE ever been in. I love mine and I hope you get yours. You won't regret it.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1. what top? this car has a top?

2. i knew there was a reason not to buy a demo car! VTEC and no where near break-in...
Old 10-30-2001, 02:40 PM

QUOTE]2. i knew there was a reason not to buy a demo car! VTEC and no where near break-in...[/QUOTE]

I did feel really bad about revving the car before it was broken in. But I figured some guy would soon probably push it harder than me. For my defense, I don't think I took it above 8000 and I didn't floor it all the way.
Old 10-30-2001, 02:43 PM

"Thou shalt not VTEC until 600 miles!"
Old 10-31-2001, 10:00 AM

The windshield is designed to support the weight of the car in a rollover. The way the car is built though, how likely are you to roll it over. The only way I can think of doing this is by going halfway up the side of a hill or something.

Hope you can stnad the wait. By the way, don't buy that demo car that you drove.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:08 AM

Sounds like someone will have a new S2000 in the spring!!!

One of the things I immediately noticed when I first drove mine was the lack of wind noise. I was pleasantly surprised.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good story...what dealer did you go to? I want to go there when they get the '02 so I can "test" drive it.
Old 10-31-2001, 10:20 AM

awesome story

i think the s2k is plenty safe in any accident but in any accident where any car flips over it's never a fender bender so the risk of injury is obviously exponentially increased...if this is what is holding you back than don't let it stop you...what makes you so safe in a roll over in any other car? we do have the roll bars behind the seats anyways

love this car and wouldn't trade it for anything this side of 60k

Quick Reply: My first time...