S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need advice on what to put on my dash...

Old 12-03-2002, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here's the story...

At the end of my first two weeks of owning my car I took it out to do a little cruising up and down a strip here in Houston. I was smoking a cigar as I was driving, and this Civic comes flying by me and almost hits me. Being the tempermental person that I am, I throw it into second to catch up to him and floor it. As I shifted into third, I rammed the cigar into my dash leaving a burnhole about the diameter of a cigarette.

Ever since then I have been trying to find something to put over this spot on the dash. I have tried a few stickers ( ), mounted my VAFC there (kept falling off the velcro), and left it out in the open. The place on the dash where it hit is directly in front of the top of the shifter (if you put your palm on top of the shifter, where your fingernails would hit the dash). I have an 02 White, so the dash is red and the black burn is noticable as hell. I need some advice as to what to put there.....

<was thinking about either getting it repaired, or surgically implanting an Oil Temp. Gauge next>
Old 12-03-2002, 03:00 PM

It could probably be repaired. The red color is tough, red fades and if the material used is not the same as what the dash is made of, it will probably fade at a different rate than the rest of the dash. You could always order a new dash..... cost of a new dash and installation probably won't be cheap.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:07 PM

Exactly, that's why I'm thinking of just hacking that part of the dash and putting something there. The Mastergrade TV console would cover it perfectly but I really don't think I need a screen that bad either...
Old 12-03-2002, 03:13 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 761 Posts

shift light, nos button, led for car alarm, stick on clock, rick's S wheel badge
Old 12-03-2002, 03:36 PM

Don't worry about it, just trade cars with me.
Old 12-03-2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by Hondafan
Don't worry about it, just trade cars with me.
lmao, at least you've come to realize you should have got a white one!!
Old 12-03-2002, 04:03 PM

A slightly different colored red spot would be better than the burn mark though.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by vmoul
A slightly different colored red spot would be better than the burn mark though.
If I could find some paint or something maybe, but I don't want to pay to get it fixed and then have any discoloration.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by iLikeBeer

If I could find some paint or something maybe, but I don't want to pay to get it fixed and then have any discoloration.
Go into a craft store.... AC Moore, Joanns etc.... ( I don't know what stores are in your neck of the woods). Anyway go into the section where they sell stencil paint... it comes in a variety of colors pick out several red colors. They are usually in 2 oz. bottles $.99 to $1.99 each get a bottle of white and a bottle of black you may need to lighten or darken the paint. Mix the different reds together ( small amounts at a time) till you get the same ( slightly lighter, paint gets darker as it dries) color as your dash. Paint it (the burn mark). Acrylic stencil paint is water based it dries flat. It will wash off if you use "elbow grease" when cleaning. Rubbing alcohol brakes down the base in Acrylic paint if you don't like the way it looks you can always wash it off. If you like the way it looks you can put wax (Furniture polish) over it to seal it temporarily. I wouldn't use car wax as it dries white and would probably show up in the burn mark.

It would be a cheap "fix", if you're willing to try it, $10.00 tops.

There are also those vinyl repair kits. Either of those two ways would be an inexpensive "fix". Mixing the correct color red is the tough part though.

Good Luck.
Old 12-03-2002, 04:46 PM

piece of velcro for stick on digital back lit clock, cut a bigger hole and install navigation system.

Quick Reply: Need advice on what to put on my dash...