S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

need to rebuild the engine.

Old 10-12-2003, 12:49 AM
OC_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need to rebuild the engine.

some friends and i got a toasted s2000 engine the other day and we are thinking of rebuilding it. The engine is a sad story, it has around 30,000 miles on it, and only one documented oil change... the people that had the engine last were complaining of banging inside the engine. we open the thing up and find that it has spun a rod bearing and parts of the bearing are all over the oil pan. The piston it was connected to its pretty beat up and going to have to be replaced, the cylinder wall needs to be bored over, would probably be best to get a new oil pump. the connecting rod is gualed pretty bad and same with the crank. It might be possiable to get the crank machined, but we are going to need bearings that are oversized. All the bearings would have to be replaced anyway. There is discoloration on that one rod and area of the crank due to heat from friction, im hoping that the crank is not warped.

the rest of the engine (top) look good. And we are pretty sure with a good cleaning and new cam bearings, that it would be fine up there.

You should see the oil that was in this engine... if i can call it that. Its more like sand and water! looks like black ink and glitter on your finger, the giltter being metal shavings of course...

people please change you oil!

the problem that im having is that i cant find parts anywhere! i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get some parts!
Old 10-12-2003, 01:10 AM

Originally posted by OC_
some friends and i got a toasted s2000 engine the other day and we are thinking of rebuilding it. The engine is a sad story, it has around 30,000 miles on it, and only one documented oil change... the people that had the engine last were complaining of banging inside the engine. we open the thing up and find that it has spun a rod bearing and parts of the bearing are all over the oil pan. The piston it was connected to its pretty beat up and going to have to be replaced, the cylinder wall needs to be bored over, would probably be best to get a new oil pump. the connecting rod is gualed pretty bad and same with the crank. It might be possiable to get the crank machined, but we are going to need bearings that are oversized. All the bearings would have to be replaced anyway. There is discoloration on that one rod and area of the crank due to heat from friction, im hoping that the crank is not warped.

the rest of the engine (top) look good. And we are pretty sure with a good cleaning and new cam bearings, that it would be fine up there.

You should see the oil that was in this engine... if i can call it that. Its more like sand and water! looks like black ink and glitter on your finger, the giltter being metal shavings of course...

people please change you oil!

the problem that im having is that i cant find parts anywhere! i was wondering if anyone knows where i can get some parts!

The best way to go is TODA's 2.2L crankshaft & rods. Also high compression pistons, valve sprigs and camshafts type-c would be great. Then you need an ECU and NOW you got a 300hp engine. (total price is $7,500)

Also you need a chassis.

Another way to go is OEM parts,but you need the same money and ("only") 240hp.
Old 10-12-2003, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so what do you plan on doing with this engine once it's rebuilt?? do you plan on selling it for a profit or do you have a project car in mind that you will try to slip the motor into??
Old 10-12-2003, 06:39 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

There are no cam bearings.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:01 PM
OC_

im thinking of putting this engine in my FC RX-7 (1990)
it would be an 80hp increase! I think this would be pretty cool. the car is a great platform.

but, does anyone know where i can get parts? i would need all the bearings (probably oversized) and i would need some new oversized pistons. im not spending $7000 on a kit either; for that money, i would just get a 3 rotor turbo engine thats good for a reliable 600hp!

anyway, what are some places that sell OE parts, also?