S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Need your advice! Thanks in advance

Old 08-06-2018, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need your advice! Thanks in advance

Hey guys I hope you are all having a great start to your mondays!

I want a S2000 again, and definitely looking for a AP1. (No offense to any AP2 owners as all s2k's are beautiful in my eyes)

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sg...656475940.html

Here is a 2001 S2000 with 162k miles, at 163k miles. Clean title no accidents on carfax.

He said lowest he'll do is 8k.

Do you guys think if I wait it out I can find a better deal? Should I try going there with 7,500?

Any advice would be appreciate as I haven't shopped a s2k in over 7 years!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Do an inspection. But I just picked mine up off CL for 8k too.

218k miles

Take a look at the below thread.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...-s2000-775801/

And also, here is my thread which may give you ideas for other things to look for

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/introduc...nance-1185705/

PS that car looks clean from the few pictures. But it's definitely worth going to take a look, ask more questions, and inspect the vehicle, run a car fax on the plate or vin. And have a bank close by to get a cashier's check. Be thorough, but know what is expected wear for 167k. How many owners? Service records? Types of fluids used? When's the last time it went though emissions?

Remember it's a private seller. Guage how motivated he is to get rid of the car, and whether 500 is worth haggling over.
'

Thank you so much brother I really appreciate that!
Old 08-06-2018, 01:30 PM

218k miles

And also, here is my thread which may give you ideas for other things to look for

PS that car looks clean from the few pictures. But it's definitely worth going to take a look, ask more questions, and inspect the vehicle, run a car fax on the plate or vin. And have a bank close by to get a cashier's check. Be thorough, but know what is expected wear for 167k. How many owners? Service records? Types of fluids used? When's the last time it went though emissions?

Remember it's a private seller. Guage how motivated he is to get rid of the car, and whether 500 is worth haggling over.

Hey brother so I got the carfax everything looks good no accidents. Service looks uptodate. But there is 9 owners I will be the 10th. What do you think about that?
Old 08-06-2018, 04:12 PM

The amount of owners just tells me the car needs a thorough inspection, as the current owner will only know 1/9th of the story of the car.
Thank you brother! I think I am going to wait it out, until I find a cleaner s2k. After seeing yours I got inspired!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

It boils down to what you expect to have to do to bring it up to your standards and you have to factor that into the price. I think you are starting off on the right foot realizing that there are plenty of them out there, so getting one that is cleaner and requires less to bring it into spec might be the way to go. Depending on your budget you will have to sacrifice somewhere so pick what you can deal with. For me, I would not want to deal with paint or body work but could easily handle mechanical or interior refurbishing. If you are dealing with a sub 10k price point you are going to have to sacrifice in SOME area.
The following users liked this post:
Deckoz (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
It boils down to what you expect to have to do to bring it up to your standards and you have to factor that into the price. I think you are starting off on the right foot realizing that there are plenty of them out there, so getting one that is cleaner and requires less to bring it into spec might be the way to go. Depending on your budget you will have to sacrifice somewhere so pick what you can deal with. For me, I would not want to deal with paint or body work but could easily handle mechanical or interior refurbishing. If you are dealing with a sub 10k price point you are going to have to sacrifice in SOME area.
Thank you Steve I really appreciate that! You are absolutely right on that! Especially in SoCal where all the kids have done terrible things to their S2ks
Old 08-07-2018, 01:52 PM

218k miles

Deckoz brother it won't let me pm you
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...s2000-1187176/
Can you help me with this post brother I am stuck on what to do!!^^
Old 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by rwds2k
He said lowest he'll do is 8k.

Do you guys think if I wait it out I can find a better deal? Should I try going there with 7,500?

Any advice would be appreciate as I haven't shopped a s2k in over 7 years!
Coming from a person who has been wanting to buy another S for over 10 years, I completely understand not wanting to wait. And to be honest, I don't necessarily think you need to. It might make sense because a lot of people say that you'll get a better deal in the winter, but I doubt this is always the case. Most likely, there will be less cars for sale in the winter.

But to answer your question here about negotiating, I would offer him way under what he's asking. The worst that happens is he says no. If he doesn't want to work with you because you are trying to negotiate, then he doesn't want to sell the car.

Also, when I say "way under" I don't mean offering him $4,000 in cash like some people would. But starting at $6,500 (even though you're not expecting to buy it for that) is a great spot to be in, because there's a better chance that you'll get the car for $7,000 or $7,500. Definitely negotiate as best you can!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rwds2k
Thank you Steve I really appreciate that! You are absolutely right on that! Especially in SoCal where all the kids have done terrible things to their S2ks
Look in norcal man. I don't know if we have more older ladies and gentlemen up here that value the car for what it is, but I've seen a few absolute gems up here.

I'm being extremely patient both from my car selection, and building up a financial buffer first (This is afterall, nothing but a toy). Of those I've seen posted, if we can fast forward 6months, I'd pick one off already.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:18 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Its nice to find a one owner car with a seller that did not do modifications and that took care of the car and did not abuse the car. The short version - one owner around 70 years old who takes care of stuff. Both of my ap1's were one owner cars, and the owners were very nice trustworthy folks over 70. Cars like that are out there. Both high mileage and low and everything in between.

Last edited by rpg51; 08-22-2018 at 04:21 AM.