S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New info from Comptech on SuperCharger

Old 10-16-2000, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, they're building them now. They're already taking orders, and may have shipped two (I know Larry @ bodywerks was getting one of the first two). I know they're waiting for CARB approval (emmissions), and they'll prob start shipping after that...Personally, I'm anxiously awaiting a dyno, although I'm 99% sure I'll order it regardless..
Old 10-16-2000, 04:25 PM

I'm a bit concerned about the following Comptech statement:

"You can rest assured that there have not been any engine failures on NSX's that can be attributed to the supercharger."

What concerns me is that Comptech claims they've done 150 SC NSXs, that they warranty the engines against supercharger related failure and then claim that none of the engine failures were caused by the SCs. I take that to imply that there have been engine failures, NSX owners have made warranty claims and that Comptech has rejected all the claims of SC engine failures.

So, I guess the question is - how many SC/NSX engine failure claims were made to and rejected by Comptech - what are Comptech's guidelines and criteria for determining whether their supercharger caused an engine failure? What does Comptech mean by "caused" the engine failure, does the SC have to be the sole cause, a contributing cause ...?

Anyway, I want a supercharger, but I need to hear a bit more from Comptech about this.

2x6
Old 10-16-2000, 05:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally posted by lvs2k:
How will the SC affect the Original Honda warranty?
I have to say I'm getting tired of this question!

We can postulate till the cows comes home, but the real answer is that once you modify your vehicle your warranty agreement is null and void and totally open to vaguaries of interpretation by individual Honda dealers and Honda America (or wherever you are from).

In support of my argument I present this thread with regards to Vaportrails diff:
http://www.s2000online.com/forums/showthre...hp?threadid=251

Fact is, if you install the SC and your engine blows in the best possible outcome both Honda and Comptech will send you a new engine with lots of low down torque and a clock. You can mount the spare in tha back. In the worst possible case Honda will shake their heads and point at the SC and Comptech will shake their head and point at Honda.

Actually, in the best possible outcome your engine won't blow in the first place, and this is the most probable outcome!
Old 10-16-2000, 05:10 PM

I agree Aus, though with Comptech's status as an almost in-house tuner for Honda/Acura, I'd like to think there'd be something other than finger pointing in the event of a failure. I think Comptech could help us evaluate the odds of a trouble free or troublesome outcome by letting us know how many NSX SC engine failure claims they rejected (out of the 150 they say they shipped).

Anyway, vrooom.

2x6
Old 10-16-2000, 07:26 PM

Well, I know that 2x6, I know that statement leaves some wiggle room to Comptech, but I personally think they're shooting straight and there aren't 15 NSX's with blown engines out there.

Nevertheless, it would be prudent to check with the NSX community to find out their experience has been. Unfortantely, I went to HA.net and there's been 1 post there in the last 2 days, so I don't expect an answer from them.

Anyone know a good place to go to ask NSX owners about this?
Old 10-16-2000, 09:08 PM

Hi Fluxen

I don't mean to suggest that the Comptech folks aren't straight shooters. I agree that we should check with the NSX community and see what they say. I also expect Comptech would tell us how many SC claims, if any, they've rejected.

I want to believe - I want a supercharger, I'd hate to end up with a $5,000 supercharger which blows my $xxxxx engine, and get left in the cold by both Honda and Comptech. Anyway, there's no free lunch, and life's full of risks. All something to think about.

2x6
Old 10-17-2000, 03:58 PM

Alright, got a response on the request for a dyno today on the Supercharger.

Apparantly Comptech is madly trying to get things together for the SEMA show coming up, so they've got a bunch of things on the back burner right now. One of those is the dyno chart, which they hope to get up on their site within the next month or so.

I guess we have some waiting to do...
Old 10-17-2000, 08:26 PM

Posted on the NSX site to get some opinions about the Comptech supercharger for NSXs and how Comptech stands behind its products. First returns are in:

Hi all
Very nice board you have ... civilized discourse about a magnificent automobile, the NSX.

Here's a question from an S2000 owner -Comptech is almost ready to offer a supercharger for the S2000. They've told us they sold 150 superchargers for NSXs and that no engine failures have been attributed to the superchargers.

Those of us with S2000s who are thinking about the Comptech supercharger are curious about your experiences with Comptech, its superchargers, whether there have been engine failures that owners attributed to the CT supercharger, and CT's responsiveness to warranty claims regarding superchargers.

Look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.

2x6spds

IP: Logged

TampaBayNSX-R
Registered Member
posted 18 October 2000 00:06
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2x6,
While I don't have a CT supercharger, I do have a whole laundry list of their parts on my NSX with NO problems whatsoever. I do know a couple of people who have superchargers, one with 25,000plus miles and NO engine troubles at all. These cars are incredibly fast and the sound of that supercharger is awesome. An S2000 would be a great car to set up like that...certainly a fun ride! Comptech has a solid reputation for standing behind their products. They are definitely pricey to say the least...but at least you get what you pay for. Best of luck.

you can follow the thread at:
http://www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000761.html
Old 10-17-2000, 09:17 PM

Well, that's one good response, but do remember that the roots-type he's assuming we're doing isn't the type we'll actually be getting. Still, I can't argue with his statement that the s2000 will be a great car with the SC (and fast as hell!)...
Old 10-20-2000, 10:28 AM

If you're interested, there some new responses at the link above, all good.

Quick Reply: New info from Comptech on SuperCharger