S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

new member with a big problem

Old 01-14-2003, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well...I understand that the engine needs oil, but like you said I am not use to running a car to 8k...

as for not breaking her heart the next time...I hope to get my money out of this car once everything is settled, and going back to BMW's. I know it's kinda harsh for one event to ruin my view of the s2000...but after driving the car, and dealing with Honda, I know I will never do it again. Yes with BMW you pay more for the same power car, but I have never had a problem with BMW service...I've had parts on my car, then decided to take them off, 6 months later and they returned the part no questions asked. I took my car in for repairs, and they offered me a rent a car free of charge, where honda wanted me to pay for the car then they would reimburse me. BTW bmw gave me a 3.0 z3, and honda wanted to give me a geo metro. I'm sorry but Honda no more for me...I just hope someone wants to buy an s2000 with a rebuilt engine.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:58 AM

you shouldnt have to constantly check the oil on a new $33,000 car. its not a Packard. it shouldnt burn any oil. I have always owned expensive sophistcated cars and do not ever check the oil
Old 01-14-2003, 12:57 PM

I check my oil every 3000 miles when I change it on my BMW, and that car is 10 years old....that, i think, should burn more oil than a brand new car...and I autocross, spirited driving, and normally drive with speeds of 100+ mph
Old 01-14-2003, 01:44 PM

I feel you dude...
Old 01-14-2003, 09:41 PM

were there any change that honda made to the engine in 03...it seems to be less of a problem then. Did honda realize there was a problem and fix it? I don't know much about s2000's, I didn't have the car long enough to do the research
Old 01-15-2003, 06:46 AM

Toofast,

No offense but checking your oil every 3k miles!......I'm having a hard time generating sympathy for your predicament.

Most drivers in here check their oil every 300 miles.

I made the mistake of only checking mine every 1000 miles(brand new car) and it almost cost me. I was over a quart low, had I used your 3k miles scenario, I would have fried my motor.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:10 AM

well I guess I've been spoiled driving a BMW and other GOOD high performance engines that were basically matienence free. I'm not accostomed to the shody job honda put into their motors that requires me to check the oil every 300 miles. So maybe if honda makes a engine that is GOOD, or DECENT, for that matter, they wont have people left and right filling up message boards with how their engines failed. Just wait...this is still the beginning, rest assure that more of these problems will arise in the future...as more people get up into the 30-40k mile range, I'll bet we'll see more of these problems arise.

you say how you have no sympathy for me, well I tell you I have no sympathy for Honda and the POS cars they make. One shittier than the last. The lack of sympathy for this car manfufacturer is what hopes I win my Age Discrimination suit against Honda, and put those SOB's back in their place.

SJSharks...thanks for your input...you have def. enlightened me!
Old 01-15-2003, 11:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have always owned expensive sophistcated cars and do not ever check the oil
Then who does it for you...the butler?

I believe that you have owned many expensive, sophistacted cars but I highly doubt any of them had an engine with the demands that the F20C brings with it. I also highly doubt any of your former engine's had a compression ratio this high. You have to check your oil ALL the time. Why wouldn't you anyhow? It takes maybe a minute to do.

Most drivers in here check their oil every 300 miles.
This is NOT an understatement.

I'm not accostomed to the shody job honda put into their motors that requires me to check the oil every 300 miles. So maybe if honda makes a engine that is GOOD, or DECENT, for that matter, they wont have people left and right filling up message boards with how their engines failed. Just wait...this is still the beginning, rest assure that more of these problems will arise in the future...as more people get up into the 30-40k mile range, I'll bet we'll see more of these problems arise.
toofast4u I am starting to feel for you more as the thread progresses but these kind of comments are really not fair. First of all Honda makes many of the best engines in the world. This message board is not full of people "left and right" mentioning how their engines are failling. In fact, your case is the first one I have heard of in the past few months. No car is perfect and some will have problems. You purchased your car used and you have NO idea how it was treated before you received it. What could you possibly expect? Did you read the owner's manual before you took it out and started romping on it? Were you aware when you purchased the car that checking the oil was necessary at every fill up? Most importantly did you change the oil yourself as soon as you got the car? That is one thing I have done with every used car I've purchased.

I don't know much about s2000's, I didn't have the car long enough to do the research
I think this sort of says it all. Did you do any prior to or during ownership?
Old 01-15-2003, 11:38 AM

The "butler"

Now that is funny.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:44 AM

BA WA WA!

Age discrimination - PLEASE!!!!!

The same information was available to you as to everyone else who has considered, and bought this car. Running the engine 1.5 qts. low on oil is just plain irresponsible ownership. And there are not that many folks having engine trouble like you have experienced. Of those that have, most seem to be a result of oil starvation. If you get a rebuilt engine out of this then you should feel lucky. But to sue Honda for age discrimination is a farce. Go back to the BMW if you feel happier there but don't rain on our parade.

Joser
Silver/Red

Quick Reply: new member with a big problem