S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New S2000 - Missing Oil Cap?

Old 12-02-2014, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New S2000 - Missing Oil Cap?

Hi all, new member here. I just picked up an S2000 - love it. I found a 2005 with only 6k miles, so it must have been somebody's garage queen. It's literally brand new, inside and out. However, there is one (hopefully) small issue that I'm worried about...

I bought the car at an Acura dealer. During my first test drive, I noticed a strange rattle coming from somewhere behind the dashboard. The sales rep heard it too and thought it might be the heat shield. I told them I wanted the car, but only if the rattle was fixed. They ended up sending the car across the street to the Honda dealer, who was able to locate the rattle. The Honda tech had to remove part of the dash and found that it was coming from a plate behind the radio or something like that. But get this... as I reviewed the paperwork, I learned that they also found the OIL CAP back somewhere around the firewall. The dealer tried telling me that sounded like a crock just to boost up their hours and charge more for the repair (the Acura dealer was paying for the repair).

Anyway, the car was perfect. Runs and rides brand new. When I got home, I pulled up pics from their AutoTrader listing and they have a pic of the engine - without an oil cap. I emailed the photo to the dealer, saying I wasn't happy. I attached a pic showing that the Honda dealership wasn't pulling their leg - the oil cap really had gone missing. Acura changes the oil on all their used cars, so I'm guessing the tech forgot to screw it back on. The dealer immediately called me to apologize, informed me they fired the tech (which I thought was a bit harsh) and asked me how they could make it up to me.

The first time I checked out the car, I looked at the engine and even checked the oil. Somehow, I don't know how, I failed to notice the cap was missing. I feel so DUMB. There was NO evidence of oil splattered around. I checked after my test drive, so I'm not sure how oil didn't splatter out as I was driving the car. While I missed the cap, I'm sure I wouldn't noticed if there was oil splattered on the engine. To the contrary, the engine was squeaky clean.

My plan is to get another oil change to clear any contaminants that may have gotten into the engine, as well as an inspection for any damage, then send Acura the bill. I'm not anticipating any damage because the car really does run great.

I did some quick research online, and it appears this type of thing happens all the time and is no big deal:
http://community.cartalk.com/discuss...engine-oil-cap

From what I can tell, the only real risk is related to splattered oil. If it gets on the belts, it can mess things up. But like I said, everything is clean, so I'm not worried about oil splatter. Is there anything I should be worried about???

Here is a pic of my new ride. Hopefully the rest of my ownership goes a little smoother than my first day:
Click for pic
Old 12-02-2014, 12:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the CEL would come on for oil pressure with the oil cap missing.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:19 PM

That's what I thought too. But there was no CEL during my test drive. Based on my research today, apparently the cap isn't necessary to maintain pressure.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:20 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by dakao
I think the CEL would come on for oil pressure with the oil cap missing.
No, it wouldn't.

OP, you are correct. Only potential damage is exposure to contaminants and splashed oil. Your plan to get the oil changed is fine, and I expect you won't have any long-term consequences.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

it's not a terribly uncommon thing to have an oil cap not quite tight enough to vibrate and fall off. seen it a bunch of times at the dealership i used to work at. Thats probably what the rattle was, the cap has nothing to do with oil pressure..
Old 12-02-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by wadzii
it's not a terribly uncommon thing to have an oil cap not quite tight enough to vibrate and fall off. seen it a bunch of times at the dealership i used to work at. Thats probably what the rattle was, the cap has nothing to do with oil pressure..
Your responses are inline with the research I did via Google searches. What surprises me is that there is zero evidence of any oil splashing. And I was looking at the engine literally two minutes after my test drive (when I failed to notice the oil cap was missing). Clean as a whistle.

Thanks for the info and peace of mind!!
Old 12-02-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

I tend to have the opposite issue, my oil cap stays on really tight, lol. I replaced my original cap as it wasn't tightening properly.

There is a rubber o-ring on the underside of the oem oil cap with a small lip that is meant to keep the cap tight by maintaining pressure between the cap and the top of the oil fill hole. If the lip on the o-ring is worn the cap won't stay tight, the cap bottoms out on the fill hole and it will rattle loose no matter how tight you turn it. You would think that such a low mileage part would be fine, but if it fell off twice I'd be concerned about it enough to replace the cap.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:39 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

FWIW... I've used the aftermarket Stant oil filler cap with other Honda and Acura cars. Larger, flat rubber gasket seals well. Well made item.

http://www.amazon.com/Stant-10081-Oi...ype=automotive
Old 12-02-2014, 11:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's actually quite common for s2000 owners to lose their oil cap behind the firewall. I've seen it on this website a few times. Nothing to worry about
Old 12-03-2014, 06:11 AM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wadzii
it's not a terribly uncommon thing to have an oil cap not quite tight enough to vibrate and fall off.
On our S2000, more than any car I've experienced, when I go to remove the oil cap it's so tight I'm ready to reach for a breaker bar. Odd. I cannot imagine it falling off.

Quick Reply: New S2000 - Missing Oil Cap?