S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New to the S2K world, first mods help

Old 07-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the S2K world, first mods help

Hey guys, i just picked up an S2000 friday. I used to own an srt4 and was always on the forums related to srt's so now i decided to join here. The s2k is completely stock, im just wondering your opinions on some "cheap" or even free mods that are good to start out with? Because i know on the srt forums, i found out alot of stuff i could mod very cheap or even free, all opinions welcome and im ready to start modding. Thanks in advanced!
Old 07-10-2011, 08:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

you bought the wrong car and for the wrong reasons.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Invest in High performance driving lessons. Best mod ever to enjoy the full potential of the S2k! Knowing when to accelerate, heel-toe shifting, and braking will bring a smile to every drive. It might even save you from damaging the car. I know it has for me.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:43 PM

Welcome...

Nothing is cheap for the S2K...

There's a lot of great info on S2ki, read up...
Old 07-11-2011, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by s2000maniac
you bought the wrong car and for the wrong reasons.
I second this, the car at one point (and some still consider) was considered an engineering marvel for its price. I hate to see these cars modded just for the sake of modding, which I know you were used to in the neon community. To be honest, there's not a whole lot you can do to the car... and most inexpensive mods actually make the car worse. Learn to love the car and please learn how to drive it before getting into any accidents.

Go to an Autocrossing day if you haven't already, where someone hops in your car and helps you learn how to drive a light-weight, RWD vehicle. This was probably the best $50 I've spent, as it really showed me what my car was capable of, as well as how to drive it safely.

Second, please make sure you have proper tread on your rears and FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... take it super easy when it's cold (<40 degrees F) or rainy out. The s2000 becomes a different beast under those conditions and most people, including myself, hold off on the VTEC and show the car some respect.

Lastly, go to the search and type in accidents. Take a few hours to read up on how they happen.

To answer your question, K&N FIPK was a great investment. Adds "10 HP" and makes the car IMO sound like it should have out of factory. I'm currently waiting on my coilovers to come in. Welcome to the s2000 community where cheap modds will ONLY degrade your vehicle. Drive safe!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 AM

well, all I can say is.. Learn to love this car for what it's best at. And that's the Handling.

I'd say start with suspension & Handling. You get the best of both worlds, looks & performance. A nice clean drop (not super slammed to where you can't go no where without scraping) with upgraded shocks & springs from stock. My suggestions would be for starter, either the combination of koni shocks & Swift or Espelir lowering springs. Or start with a cheaper around the $800-1000 coilver set up. Next get some lighter weight wheels preferible 17", widths should'nt be less than stock, wrapped in wider tires for a better stance. And please, "please" don't get drawn into the "hella flush" movement. You'll ruin this car's best attribute, the Handling. Than move on to Strut, tie, & sway bars ect ect. Just get it to the point where you could literally feel every lil movement especially around the corners. You'll be amazed at how you can actually become one with it's Handling like second nature. I've driven many sports compacts, the S is one of the best in its class.

After you think you've acheived the Handling part than you can choose move on to bolt ons, NA or FI, & emangement for more HP, gear upgrades ect ect. Asessorizing should always either be last or when you have extra money to throw away. But all that's over rated. IMHO, the "S" is all about the handling. That's all that matters & sets it apart from every other vehicle in its class. So whatever you do don't F#$@! up the Handling or you might as well just trade it in & go buy another car that you can pimp out to get girls.

peep this & you'll understand more
[media]http://youtu.be/S-BGIcRBPHM[/media]
Old 07-11-2011, 02:14 AM

I got my car from Carmax, and held off on modding the car for a long time. The car came with some terrible tires, but figured lets learn the car first. So eventually 6 months later I finally got a bucket seat with low rails as I am 6'4" and sit over the roll hoops which scares me even still. The car also came with a cheaper aftermarket stereo so I upgraded to a higher end Alpine with the Modifry adapter so I could control that from the stock dash. It was finally time to change the air filter, so I got the K&N FIPK. I haven't touched the engine since and it's almost been 2 years with the car. I did finally get new tires about 2 months ago and wowowowow what a difference. I of course had to lower the car on Swift Spec-R springs and got a more aggressive alignment. I am coming from a Porsche Carrera before this, and I really don't see any need to modify the car anymore. Though of course I have always wanted to hear a blowoff valve, and eventually I will probably run a low HP turbo.

There aren't really any free mods on the car. There are some what seems useful cosmetic upgrades that aren't too expensive. Like changing out the drivers side mirror to something more convex or maybe the shift knob. Other than that drive the car hard for a year, and you will still have a big smile on your face without any real modding. I should also say I had a pretty modified Supercharged RSX-S before the Porsche. =)
Old 07-11-2011, 04:54 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Top down mod while not completely stopping is a great free mod...
Old 07-11-2011, 05:09 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

just save up for boost.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:20 AM

Received 82 Likes on 53 Posts

Ive worked for a race shop and been an auto tech. I have been all over this car in the year ive owned it and i must say honda has the buisness of enthusiast transportation down. Any part u replace for added performance had better be first class, and u should also buy any upgrades as a package with the rest of the components needed to complete the desired performance effect. Modding a car this way is a serious financial comitment for most of us and that cam really put your performance prioreties in check.

Quick Reply: New to the S2K world, first mods help