S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

New to the S2K world, first mods help

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A weighted countersunk shift knob is the only must have. Moddiction's is the best deal and heaviest I've seen. Next would be wheels. Those 16"s just don't do the car justice, but don't get cheap heavy wheels.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:07 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

I think one of the earlier posters nailed it right on the head--99% of the mods available for the s2000 are INFERIOR to stock.

Someone else also suggested you start with springs/shocks/suspension and I would like to remind people that the s2ki OG's from the 2000 to 2001 years had a consensus that most suspension mods (especially springs) = only for looks, not performance. In fact, most lead to inferior suspension. Honda engineers made this car right.

(Now if you want to spend a few thousand dollars on Penskes or Motons, that's definitely an upgrade.)

In my opinion, the best mods:
  • Good, fresh tires (if you're in a year-round dry/warm area, try Star Specs)
  • Autocross and track days
  • Gears.
  • Supercharger or Turbo after you've mastered the car from stock form w/ reinforced diff/clutch/etc.

For aesthetics:
  • Sound system... as in a new headunit/speakers/etc.
  • If you have an AP1, get AP2v1 wheels if you like them, but the car will be slightly slower than the stock AP1 16's
  • Skip the springs. (Also make sure you don't have the factory spring spacers in--they are bad news.)

I might have missed one or two other mods but I think those have the most impact.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:13 PM

Well guys i have owned 14 cars, its not like i never owned a RWD car, i was just using the srt as an example in relation to being on forums. I still think im not getting the right point across or its being mis-taken. Im not real big into the track or autocrossing. Nor do i ever beat on or hardly get on the car, so idk what all this talk about learn the car etc is about. Im not going out trying to be on tokyo drift or anything lol. Just wanted some opinions on some mods, that was all lol
Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by VinDieselJetta
You've already completed the best mod: the 'trade in a fwd girly neon for a mans car' mod. ;-D

haha yeah yeah i know, i was waiting for this btw
Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Also what is the "cupholder" mod?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:30 PM

Good tires are the cheapest "mod" you can do to this car.

Don't skimp on tires, don't run all seasons and don't drive the car hard when it's under 40 degrees F. Have fun...this car is about finesse.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by HarryD
I think one of the earlier posters nailed it right on the head--99% of the mods available for the s2000 are INFERIOR to stock.

Someone else also suggested you start with springs/shocks/suspension and I would like to remind people that the s2ki OG's from the 2000 to 2001 years had a consensus that most suspension mods (especially springs) = only for looks, not performance. In fact, most lead to inferior suspension. Honda engineers made this car right.

(Now if you want to spend a few thousand dollars on Penskes or Motons, that's definitely an upgrade.)
What you're saying is BS, plain and simple. Honda's OEM suspension is good, as it can hold up to track/autocross use just fine. However, to say 99% of all available mods are "inferior to stock" is just idiotic.

I autocrossed for about a year on stock suspension, and after going to Koni Yellows with Tein springs (total cost of about $600) there was a large and noticeable improvement in the car's performance. Less body roll, sharper turn-in, more stability, and faster lap times. You don't have to drop $3k on Motons to see an improvement, and if you had driven cars with OEM and properly setup, quality aftermarket suspension side-by-side the difference is night and day.

The key is to be conscious of things like spring rates and swaybar stiffness before purchasing parts. Don't just buy something because it looks cool or has a respected brand name. When replacing suspension, look up the OEM spring rates for your year S2K, choose aftermarket rates that match what you want (i.e. more oversteer/understeer), get some good dampers, and get a custom alignment. If you do this, your handling will improve dramatically (assuming you're a competent driver).

Anyway, back on topic, here are some good starter mods (listed in order of importance).

Engine:
-Thorough maintenance! (change your fluids, use a good synthetic oil, check compression/leakdown, valve adjustment)
-Intake/exhaust if you want more aggressive engine note. HP gains from this will be negligible.

Suspension:
-TIRES! Get some good performance summer tires. It's not cheap, but it's probably the most important thing you can do to the car (other than learning to drive it better).
-Custom alignment. Look up the "UK spec alignment" for more info.
-Don't worry about suspension for now, focus on learning to drive the car before messing with it. If you must lower it with springs, see my above comments about spring rates.

Cosmetic/Interior:
-Remove front plate and add bumper plugs (from honda dealer)
-Shift knob
-CG locks (link)
-Fender debadge
-Clear side markers
-LED license plate/interior lighting
-Keyhole plugs (there's a DIY thread for this, or you can buy them)

Above all, take the car to a local autocross or trackday, and get some professional instruction on how to drive better! It will teach you how to be truly fast, and help you better understand the car and its limits.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:03 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Harrower
Well guys i have owned 14 cars, its not like i never owned a RWD car, i was just using the srt as an example in relation to being on forums. I still think im not getting the right point across or its being mis-taken. Im not real big into the track or autocrossing. Nor do i ever beat on or hardly get on the car, so idk what all this talk about learn the car etc is about. Im not going out trying to be on tokyo drift or anything lol. Just wanted some opinions on some mods, that was all lol
Ok, (sorry most people buy the car for the driving experience at the edge) in that case, just a nice stereo and a set of wheel you like and call it at day (maybe a cat-back if you want the sound) anything else will make it worse for your application.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:11 AM

Welcome to s2ki, congrats on the s. I'd say first thing is invest in some good tires and change all the fluids and get new pads n rotors if needed. Later down the road ifnyou like na set up go with a nice intake,header,test pipe and nice exhaust.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Bloodred
Originally Posted by HarryD' timestamp='1310425663' post='20768855

What you're saying is BS, plain and simple. Honda's OEM suspension is good, as it can hold up to track/autocross use just fine. However, to say 99% of all available mods are "inferior to stock" is just idiotic.

I autocrossed for about a year on stock suspension, and after going to Koni Yellows with Tein springs (total cost of about $600) there was a large and noticeable improvement in the car's performance. Less body roll, sharper turn-in, more stability, and faster lap times. You don't have to drop $3k on Motons to see an improvement, and if you had driven cars with OEM and properly setup, quality aftermarket suspension side-by-side the difference is night and day.

The key is to be conscious of things like spring rates and swaybar stiffness before purchasing parts. Don't just buy something because it looks cool or has a respected brand name. When replacing suspension, look up the OEM spring rates for your year S2K, choose aftermarket rates that match what you want (i.e. more oversteer/understeer), get some good dampers, and get a custom alignment. If you do this, your handling will improve dramatically (assuming you're a competent driver).

Anyway, back on topic, here are some good starter mods (listed in order of importance).

Engine:
-Thorough maintenance! (change your fluids, use a good synthetic oil, check compression/leakdown, valve adjustment)
-Intake/exhaust if you want more aggressive engine note. HP gains from this will be negligible.

Suspension:
-TIRES! Get some good performance summer tires. It's not cheap, but it's probably the most important thing you can do to the car (other than learning to drive it better).
-Custom alignment. Look up the "UK spec alignment" for more info.
-Don't worry about suspension for now, focus on learning to drive the car before messing with it. If you must lower it with springs, see my above comments about spring rates.

Cosmetic/Interior:
-Remove front plate and add bumper plugs (from honda dealer)
-Shift knob
-CG locks (link)
-Fender debadge
-Clear side markers
-LED license plate/interior lighting
-Keyhole plugs (there's a DIY thread for this, or you can buy them)

Above all, take the car to a local autocross or trackday, and get some professional instruction on how to drive better! It will teach you how to be truly fast, and help you better understand the car and its limits.

Thanks those seems like some good first mods, i have done quiet a few little things and love the car so far, just want to make it "clean". And to everyone else thanks also for all the input and opinions!

Quick Reply: New to the S2K world, first mods help