S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: In the last ~5 years, how often have you made a fairly significant driver error that came close to a
I haven't once in at least 5+ years
14.66%
Once
26.72%
Twice
25.00%
3-4 times
23.28%
5+ -- I like to live on the edge
10.34%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Nice save!

Old 03-23-2010, 08:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a 2001 ap1 a while ago. i was pretty used to rwd, but not used to dealing with them in heavy conditions. anyway i went around a turn way too fast. overcorrected and lifted off the gas, and i was sent into a pole. very hard to admit because i thought that this would not happen to me, but it did.

i just bought my new s and i now am doing research on how to properly handle this car.

Its a special car!!

best advice i ever got was to go to a track with good run off area or at least an autocross. you can read all you want, but once you get into the scary situation, you will forget all of that unless you are used to doing it. muscle memory is your best friend in these situations.

as for me i had a few situations when i first got the s. had one that was too close in the first couple weeks that scared the hell out of me. then went to track days and autox to learn the car. since then i have had two incidents where i was traveling too fast for the conditions on the road, and was able to do minor corrections with gentle throttle which saved it. though for the most part i drive what is safe on the roads, and get frisky on the track where it belongs.

remember a track day is less money than a speeding ticket, never mind the cost of wrapping it around a pole or even killing someone. plus IMO the track is way more fun too.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:54 PM
nt7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im 25, I am an idiot. I have always been an idiot and will contiune to be one. Each day I am less and less of an idiot while I learn things about driving and driving the s2k. This is my 3rd RWD car and I have over 9 years experince on RWD cars. I do know that every car is differnt that every rwd car is a beast in its own self and you have to learn to tame that beast with each new rwd car. I have only been in 2 accidents before and both were in FWD cars that I will admit was mostly my fault due to speeds not safe for the weather. I wish I could have the knowlege I have now back when I was younger and thought I was invincible. And when im 30 I will look at these days at 25 and call my myself an ignorant moran for not knowing things I should know. Life is a cycle of learning from experinces...and experinces never stop.

So yes I have made mistakes and fixed them afterwards and yes I will make more mistakes and continue to fix them. And for the ones I dont hopefully I'm lucky.
Old 03-23-2010, 02:59 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

In the last 5 years no, nothing has been my fault. Prior to that, yes. In the S I drive like an old man. I love the car and all but to push it on the street seems reckless.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:22 PM

Two incidents. VSA saved me on both. Now I think I can be careless and VSA will save me unless my stupidity tries to defy the laws of physics. MY06+ enjoy this nice luxury...
Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Once. I got impatient while waiting for traffic to open up so I could merge. I revved the engine to 3-4k, popped the clutch, lurched forward into traffic, and then SLOWLY merged into traffic, the smell of burning clutch overshadowed only by the sound of the horns coming up fast from behind.

Never. Again.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hicabi,Mar 23 2010, 03:22 PM
Now I think I can be careless and VSA will save me unless my stupidity tries to defy the laws of physics. MY06+ enjoy this nice luxury...
I hope this was sarcasm.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by bronxbomber252,Mar 22 2010, 10:05 AM
I put 3-4... but I am 22... when I was in high school I was a dumbass.
im in high school and i put 3-4 and yess i know i am a dumbass....but ill mature sooner or later. I try to be nice most of the time...Im still one of those guys that hit vtec every stop or two or just play nascar through traffic....I know im mistaking and everything but so far so good. Im pretty good at driving, not great as i cant really judge myself but i can only hope for now... XD
Old 03-23-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

No "I made a significant driver error and didn't save it" option?
Old 03-23-2010, 07:44 PM

First night i had my ap1. First manual car. First RWD. I think i vtecd while turning right in the city and ended up in the oncoming lane almost spinning a 180.
Also suv's dont seem to see the S.
Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Once, a month after I bought the car:

Sweeping right hand corner normally taken at around 25mph. I was at around 40 and the inside rear wheel caught a rut. The rear end swung left and I over corrected and spun left 180 degrees. Ended up 5 feet from a curb. No damage. Lesson learned.

Quick Reply: Nice save!