S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

No reserve- this could be a deal- '02 AP1

Old 02-22-2015, 06:47 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliss
No reserve just means they bid on their own listing to increase the price. Word of advice buy in person. EBay is a sellers market.
I respectfully disagree. Ebay is mostly a buyer's market. There are hundreds or even thousands of "curbstoners" out there attending bank and lease auctions weekly. They function as your labor to seek out the car you want. So you pay them $1K or $2K, you still are saving a bundle over private seller or dealer. I've gone to many of these auctions, often in pursuit of a car that often was pulled at the last minute or if it was a 911, went for way too much. Spend all that time standing in the heat or cold and usually for nothing. However, if you are in search of a late model, just off lease, basic car, you can make out on Ebay.

I bought my ($34K new, fully optioned) 2010 Fusion Hybrid on Ebay in 2012, on my phone, sight unseen while at Valentines dinner. Paid $450 to truck it to me. The same car at the time would have been $15-$17K at Carmax or other dealer and I paid $10,700. I found out the auction price was about $9800. So I paid this curbstoner $900 plus shipping to do all the standing around for me, to wax and detail the car for me and I've been driving it daily ever since and only have put a set of front wheel bearings into it (it only needed one but why not do both, right?).

I saved so much money that even if something had been wrong with it, I likely would have still been OK. Because it was high miles and only two years old I could be pretty sure it was coming off a lease and had been maintained. Turned out I found the guy's business card in the car and called him. Regional manager for TJ Max who drove it 60K a year. So now I'm nearing $170K.miles and zero issues. Such a deal for me.

I agree that you'd want to be very careful buying older and special cars on Ebay. Keep in mind that when people decide to sell an older car, it is often because they have found out something is wrong with it so I do agree that the buyer has to be aware but you can buy really cheap on Ebay and have some protection which you don't have in other places or on CraigsList (which is a hive of scum and villainy like no other).
Old 02-23-2015, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^All I will say is if your a EBay seller with no reserve on listing and you or a friend do not bid on that listing you are doing it wrong. Sellers get exactly what they want for their product. That's why its a sellers market IMO.
Old 02-25-2015, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't have mind taking a deeper look into this vehicle when it was on the market, the Berlina/Red combo is gorg..
Old 02-25-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bliss
No reserve just means they bid on their own listing to increase the price. Word of advice buy in person. EBay is a sellers market.

Yup, basically that is what it is.