S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Northern owners- wait for clean streets?

Old 04-25-2018, 04:23 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm in MN also. I took mine out of storage weeks ago but then shipped it south to FL for some work to be done on it. So I won't be driving it up here until mid-May.
That said - I'd drive it now - just watch those horrid pot holes all over the city. Many are big enough to swallow an S2000 whole! I'd also try and avoid driving in lanes or on the sides of roads (side streets) with the sand and salt still visible.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:27 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

I only lasted a year and a half in Minneapolis when I got a new job. Wife and I had been too many places to stay there. Lutherans, flat land, rusted cars, mosquitoes and viscous biting flies drove us on. Doncha know? Taxes even went down after moving to California. Never looked back.
Sierra Nevada was created by God just for the S2000.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

A lot of salt dried up on the ground here in WI. Also a lot of rocks and pebbles at the street curbs from plows tearing up the streets.
Old 04-25-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couldn't take it anymore and drove her into work this morning! A bit of gravel on the side streets, but the highways were pretty clean as long as I avoided the potholes. Will wash it this weekend and do some maintenance, but probably won't drive it again until we get some rain - felt good to get it out again!
Old 04-25-2018, 03:22 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Up here in the Great White North I will wait another week or so until the roads have been washed by the rain, would rather wait than regret a salt dusted underbody.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:56 AM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
I only lasted a year and a half in Minneapolis when I got a new job. Wife and I had been too many places to stay there. Lutherans, flat land, rusted cars, mosquitoes and viscous biting flies drove us on. Doncha know? Taxes even went down after moving to California. Never looked back.
Sierra Nevada was created by God just for the S2000.
I'll second this last sentence and raise it to much of Norcal. On a recent business trip to San Francisco a friend picked me up in his NSX and we tore down the Pacific Coast Highway and through the Santa Cruz Mountains. White knuckles and wide eyes but a load of fun!
Here in Chicago my cars are waiting for a good salt-clearing rain to fall. I had a 1994 Acura Vigor succomb to salt-induced rust. It's worth it to wait.
Old 04-26-2018, 06:46 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreygebhart

I'll second this last sentence and raise it to much of Norcal. On a recent business trip to San Francisco a friend picked me up in his NSX and we tore down the Pacific Coast Highway and through the Santa Cruz Mountains.
Like this from Highway 1:

Old 04-26-2018, 06:54 AM

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Some day I will take my S2000 on a long trip and rip up the Pacific Coast Highway. That sounds wonderful.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:54 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Plz try and wait until we can get our cars on the road before rubbing it in...
Old 04-26-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

What part of MN are you in? Northern side of the Twin Cities here.

I like to wait until the first spring rain washes the salt off the roads. I think most of it is gone, but either way I had mine out last weekend. I instruct at our autocross club (Minnnesota Autosports Club if you are interested!) novice school, which was last weekend. Part of that day is allowing students to ride in the instructors cars, so I had mine there. First two competition events this weekend so it is pretty much out of "storage" at this point

I think in terms of salt you are pretty safe. Still gritty on the roads though.

To add to the depression, we are running our events this weekend at Canterbury and are re-designing the courses to go around the big piles of snow still on the lot. But the weather should be nice either way.

Quick Reply: Northern owners- wait for clean streets?