S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Not falling in love with new '06

Old 05-20-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomazero
My 04 came with Michelin PSS as well, and I felt the exact same way about the steering. I recently changed to Hankook RS3, which so far is inspiring a lot more confidence. The car's feedback isn't fundamentally changed (EPS doesn't help), but it is much more responsive and predictable. Ride quality and noise hasn't suffered that much either.
I love the RS3's on my 02 as well.
Levi

Old 05-20-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 1,263 Likes on 955 Posts

Increased (positive) caster results in better steering centering and road feel. 6.5 is probably a good number for that.
Old 05-20-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

The PSS is a multi-compound tire. Unless you push hard, you're driving on the hard inner/middle compound and the tire isn't going to feel hooked up or responsive to steering inputs. The reason it feel more responsive when you're slamming through a hairpin is you're rolling the tire into the soft, grippy outer section. When the weight of the car is on the performance section of the tread, it will be a lot more responsive to steering corrections.

That's why going to a uniform-compound tire like the RS-3 or any of the extreme performance tires will make the car feel so much more responsive in situations where the tire isn't already fully loaded with g-forces. But of course you give up the quieter, longer-lasting aspect of the PSS's hard inner compound.
Old 05-20-2016, 02:43 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Good explanation, thomsbrain. That makes sense because the grip seems endless when I slam it into the hairpins.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you decide to take a drive with us, I'll let you drive my lightly-modded AP1 (sensibly). You will see what you're missing
Old 05-20-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSS is a compromise tire. Once you go to Extreme summer tires you'll never go back. The S deserves the best tire. I had stock ap2 re050 that tire is old and skinny. Slapped on re-71r. I'm in love. The car doesn't really need much except maintenance. The car just wants to dance.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:48 PM

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,459 Posts

Steering feel doesn't exist as we have EPS, it's pretty numb. Not much you can do about that, I think the CR steering rack stiffeners help out a bit with that, but not much.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:57 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The PSS is not a "compromise tire". ---- it's the top choice in the Max Performance category which is what our cars came from the factory equipped with. On Tire Rack, the PSS ranks #1 out of 23 Max Performance tires available.

There is another category designed to mazimize dry traction at the expense of road noise and wet weather traction---Extreme Performance --the RE-71R is in this category. It isn't any better "overall" than the PSS or any other tire---it is no doubt better at dry traction if that is your #1 criteria for tire selection for your S2000.

The RE-71R ranks 5th out of the 10 available Extreme Performamce tires in owner's reviews

Here's TireRack's review of the RE-71R--they love the tire for it's handling but clearly point out it's focus is dry traction at the expense of wet weather traction and ride comfort.....(they also point out in their review that the RE-71R is one of the two noisiest tires they've ever tested on the road--- compared them to the sounds of a wheel bearing going bad and "sticky tape being pulled off plastic"....)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=202

Here's the PSS reviee----

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=174

So, both are great tires--one is not "better" than the other----just depends on what your priorities are for tires for your S2000
Old 05-20-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 05 has PSS 225 & 255 17's on OEM wheels. I also have Ohlin DFV shocks/struts and have great fun driving roads in the PNW.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:33 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
Thanks Sylvan, I will probably ad a flashpro down the road if this "relationship" works out. I will post my aligment specs when I get home. Off the top of my head I can remember only the camber and caster:
Front: left = -0.5 right = -0.6
Rear: -1.5 both sides

Caster 6.4 both sides

I will post the rest when I get home from work this pm.

FRSKLLR, I checked out the Whiteline swaybar and read some threads on the topic. That looks like a good plan. Thanks.

I should add that I really like the ride quality of the stock suspension and it is very compatibale with our varying road surfaces in WV. Plus I don't feel like there is any particular charicterstic I want to tame with lowering springs like nose dive or anything.
To complete the alignment:
Toe: left front = 0 right front = -0.01
left rear = 0.17 right rear 0.15

Quick Reply: Not falling in love with new '06