S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

O'Donnell Honda Is Replacing Our Plastic Rear Window...

Old 08-05-2002, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O'Donnell Honda Is Replacing Our Plastic Rear Window...

After reading some of the threads regarding getting the rear plastic window replaced under warranty, my wife and I decided to give it a try at our local dealer (O'Donnell Honda in Ellicott City, MD). It has a moderate amount of scratching and some other markings that I have been unable to remove despite numerous attempts with every product under the sun (and I have always used Plexus for normal cleaning, which has minimized hazing, etc.)

I didn't think they were going to be willing because we did not purchase the car there (we bought in Frederick, MD from Shockley Honda because there were none to be found at MSRP or below in the Baltimore area), but we did purchase our Accord there, and both have always been serviced there. In any event, the Service Manager initially checked it out and told my wife that he would have to get the District Manager to look at it. He said that they would call when he would be in. Weeks went by, during which time my wife made several calls asking when the District Manager was expected in - the explanations ranged from "he's on vacation..", to "you'll know by this Thurdsay..."

Finally my wife called again today and asked for the District Manager's phone number and was told that he was actually on site! She explained the situation to him and he said that he would call her back after speaking with the Service Manager. Shortly thereafter the Service Manager called and told my wife the District Manager was in (as if she didn't know...) and asked if she could bring the car up for inspection today, to which she agreed. Before leaving work, she received another call from the Service Manager who said that the replacement was approved, the parts had been ordered, and asked if she could bring it in next Monday. I will provide an update after it is replaced.

Has anyone else had theirs replaced by O'Donnell?
Old 08-05-2002, 08:53 PM

ummm are they replacing it with the new glass version?
Old 08-06-2002, 04:01 AM

No - just the plastic. We inquired about the glass version and the District Manager seemed a little clueless.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:14 PM

Now we are being told by Jerry (Service Manager) that they are just going to perform the Service Bulletin (which amounts to the 3M plastic products) - apparently that's what he meant by ordering the "parts" ??? My wife told him that I have tried them already, but apparently that wasn't good enough.
Old 08-06-2002, 12:54 PM

Pitt, let me know how O'Donnell takes care of the situation. I used to take my car there and their service dept. has been very good, I still need to go there to do my driver's side window TSB and buzzing clutch. Good luck.
Old 08-13-2002, 01:34 PM

Ok - they performed the Service Bulletin today (as well as the Spark Plug Recall), and Jerry decided to order a new window since they didn't have much luck removing the scratching. I did find out that this is their first replacement, so I am a little nervous. I am going to try and collect some information from everyone else who has had theirs replaced.
Old 10-05-2002, 02:53 PM

Just wanted to provide everyone with an update. We dropped our car off this past Tuesday night and picked it up Friday night. They replaced the window - although the new one already has some scratching on it. Judging from the condition of the car when we picked it up, I am certain that it was scratched during installation. I really have NO faith in dealer service personnel. There were several scratches on the plastic above the roof well, which I quickly brought to Jerry's attention (he is ordering new hardware to replace the scratched pieces). While cleaning it today, I noticed several scratches in the door jamb area where I am sure some tools were dropped or something of that nature. I got most of them out - not to mention the typical grease stains on the seats and mats. I will be cleaning out the interior tomorrow and just hope for the best.

All that being said, the new window is a huge improvement from the condition of our original. With the well mat and roll tube, we should be better equipped to maintain this one. In addition, the interior is much more solid sounding with the top up. Over time, we had developed several creaks and cracks with the top up which are now gone (at least temporarily).

Even though we went this route, I am considering an 02 top at some point (maybe after we get some more feedback from owner's who have tried it).
Old 10-05-2002, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the update!