S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3

Old 07-23-2015, 04:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 cars

Red 2007 with 20,000 miles, 1 owner. $25,000 at a dealer

Silverstone 2004 with 23,000 miles, 2 owner. Listed at $21,500 from a private seller.

Thinking both are overpriced by $1k or so. Will prices drop going into fall?
Old 07-23-2015, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by evo5039
2 cars

Red 2007 with 20,000 miles, 1 owner. $25,000 at a dealer

Silverstone 2004 with 23,000 miles, 2 owner. Listed at $21,500 from a private seller.

Thinking both are overpriced by $1k or so. Will prices drop going into fall?
When comparing different model year cars I typically allow circa $1k per model year. So, adjusting for model year difference these cars are comparable in price for their respective years. A fall price drop will probably depend on what part of the country you live in, i.e., colder climate yes, warmer climate not so much. Another factor will be how long the dealership has had the car on their lot. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Yaupon
When comparing different model year cars I typically allow circa $1k per model year. So, adjusting for model year difference these cars are comparable in price for their respective years. A fall price drop will probably depend on what part of the country you live in, i.e., colder climate yes, warmer climate not so much. Another factor will be how long the dealership has had the car on their lot. Good luck.
Thanks Yaupon. What are your thoughts on the prices themselves? I keep seeing better prices in the "what you paid" thread but I can't seem to find similar prices for cars in the area. It seems prices are going up. Everyone I talk to "knows what they have" and won't budge on price.

I'm in NC, so a warmer climate but I'm willing to buy up to 500 miles away.
Old 07-23-2015, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by renditionz
Originally Posted by Yaupon' timestamp='1437346397' post='23685958
[quote name='renditionz' timestamp='1437214879' post='23684803']
Hey S2ki folks, I've been contemplating on buying this S for a while now. What do you think?

few details:
2008 GPW
10k miles
Completely stock, says he's original owner
Haven't had the chance to take a look at the engine yet but he says no mechanical problems as he doesn't drive this car often
interior from pics look 9/10

He's asking 25k

As you know, asking price and selling price are not necessarily the same. If you have been thinking about it for awhile, then it apparently has been for sale for awhile. Flash some cash at a little lower price point. If he does not bite, then $25k for the car if it holds up to scrutiny is a pretty good deal, especially for a low mileage/stock/one owner/GPW car.
Yeah it's been up for 3 weeks now and I never considered buying because 25k is a steep price. But after searching forums and reading about how much other members bought their S with X amount of miles, I'm pretty sure this is a good deal. I was looking for an Ap1 just to mess around with, but I suppose having a garage queen is way worth it. I'm checking this car out at the end of this month, hopefully this turns into a sweet deal
[/quote]

It seems like the GPW are highly sought after and very hard to find with low mileage/unmolested. I dont think that that price is ridiculously high or out of the norm. If the car checks out, its like buying a "new" car.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:08 PM

how much would you guys value a 09 S2000 at 24,000kms (14912 miles)?

08 Honda s2000 Yellow 40,000 KMS (24854 miles) for $27,000? Can probably talk this one down but just wanted other's view.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lucidify

08 Honda s2000 Yellow 40,000 KMS (24854 miles) for $27,000? Can probably talk this one down but just wanted other's view.
This is my view on the car and this is what I would tell the owner: "This car brand new was $32,000, and you mean to tell me that after 24,000 miles AND 7 years later that there is only $5,000 in depreciation???" Then counter with a sub $24k offer and try to land the car for 24k (Most I would pay for it, but I would have to be a little tipsy). These are really special cars but they're not at the Antique Collectors stage nor were they hand build by Jesus himself. This is why it took me 2 years to find my s2000 being that many of them are significantly over priced.

Edit: I just saw you live in Canada so MAYBE the market might be a little harder over there, PM "Adrenalize" he should have a good idea of what S2000's in Canada should be worth, although I'm sure he'd agree with my previous argument. If you can't PM yet, post in the introductions area he's usually lurking around that area.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by evo5039
Originally Posted by Yaupon' timestamp='1437701137' post='23690981

Thanks Yaupon. What are your thoughts on the prices themselves? I keep seeing better prices in the "what you paid" thread but I can't seem to find similar prices for cars in the area. It seems prices are going up. Everyone I talk to "knows what they have" and won't budge on price.

I'm in NC, so a warmer climate but I'm willing to buy up to 500 miles away.
Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Both deals while decent, neither are super buys. Of the two, I would lean towards the '07 due to red being rarer than silverstone and it has a few less miles. Dealer will also negotiate and likely have a limited power train warranty. Downside with dealer is that they never seem to have maintenance records. For reference, last fall I was looking at a 2 owner '07 silverstone, 25K miles at a dealer in Wilmington,NC who wanted $27K. Dealer came down some, but not to $25K. Didn't buy. Where are you located in NC? I'm in Oak Island, NC. I will keep a look out in my area.

Edit: Sent a PM to you, but my email was returned undelivered. Please PM me with your S2K search criteria.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Le S2K
Originally Posted by Lucidify' timestamp='1437707281' post='23691042

This is my view on the car and this is what I would tell the owner: "This car brand new was $32,000, and you mean to tell me that after 24,000 miles AND 7 years later that there is only $5,000 in depreciation???" Then counter with a sub $24k offer and try to land the car for 24k (Most I would pay for it, but I would have to be a little tipsy). These are really special cars but they're not at the Antique Collectors stage nor were they hand build by Jesus himself. This is why it took me 2 years to find my s2000 being that many of them are significantly over priced.

Edit: I just saw you live in Canada so MAYBE the market might be a little harder over there, PM "Adrenalize" he should have a good idea of what S2000's in Canada should be worth, although I'm sure he'd agree with my previous argument. If you can't PM yet, post in the introductions area he's usually lurking around that area.
+1
Old 07-25-2015, 04:07 PM

Sorry I didn't reply earlier. Both deals while decent, neither are super buys. Of the two, I would lean towards the '07 due to red being rarer than silverstone and it has a few less miles. Dealer will also negotiate and likely have a limited power train warranty. Downside with dealer is that they never seem to have maintenance records. For reference, last fall I was looking at a 2 owner '07 silverstone, 25K miles at a dealer in Wilmington,NC who wanted $27K. Dealer came down some, but not to $25K. Didn't buy. Where are you located in NC? I'm in Oak Island, NC. I will keep a look out in my area.

Edit: Sent a PM to you, but my email was returned undelivered. Please PM me with your S2K search criteria.

Thanks Yaupon, sent you a PM and an email.

-Matt
Old 07-26-2015, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by renditionz' timestamp='1437391631' post='23686320
[quote name='Yaupon' timestamp='1437346397' post='23685958']
[quote name='renditionz' timestamp='1437214879' post='23684803']
Hey S2ki folks, I've been contemplating on buying this S for a while now. What do you think?

few details:
2008 GPW
10k miles
Completely stock, says he's original owner
Haven't had the chance to take a look at the engine yet but he says no mechanical problems as he doesn't drive this car often
interior from pics look 9/10

He's asking 25k

As you know, asking price and selling price are not necessarily the same. If you have been thinking about it for awhile, then it apparently has been for sale for awhile. Flash some cash at a little lower price point. If he does not bite, then $25k for the car if it holds up to scrutiny is a pretty good deal, especially for a low mileage/stock/one owner/GPW car.
Yeah it's been up for 3 weeks now and I never considered buying because 25k is a steep price. But after searching forums and reading about how much other members bought their S with X amount of miles, I'm pretty sure this is a good deal. I was looking for an Ap1 just to mess around with, but I suppose having a garage queen is way worth it. I'm checking this car out at the end of this month, hopefully this turns into a sweet deal
[/quote]

Clearly, buyers are not knocking down his door, so the longer the car is listed the better position you are in negotiate a lower price. Super deals do not hang around for 3 weeks. If you are going to rack up a lot of miles on the car then maybe you don't want to pay the extra premium the price reflects for a very low mileage car. Keep us posted as to your progress.
[/quote]

I kept in constant contact with seller and arranged to meet him this past saturday (this is in Hawaii and we live on different islands). So I bought a plane ticket and flew down to meet him on the Big Island. Soon as I landed, he started dodging my calls and stopped answering my texts. He ended up flaking out. Yeah I was pissed but me and my buddies ended up sight seeing around the Island. From what I read on here, he sold the car to another s2k member. I'm happy for that guy and I would've been cool with the seller if he just let me know it was sold prior to dodging my calls. I guess my search for another S is still on

Quick Reply: Official Is This Car Worth It Thread vol 3